Food & Drink

Hot dogs with a small amount of air in packaging?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 2:01 pm
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
311 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver

Hot dogs with a small amount of air in packaging?

Kind of a stupid question but I just gotta ask:

Today I bought a package of hot dogs in a rush and didn't check the packaging too carefully. It turns out the package doesn't have the typical tight vacuum seal, and there's a tiny bit of air inside. I can't see any obvious leaks in the packaging.

Is this normal for some types of hot dogs? I don't eat a ton of it and I've certainly never seen this before, and I don't wanna go back to the grocery store just to confirm this, It's "Schneiders Juicy Jumbos Original" with a blue packaging.
2 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4751 posts
1407 upvotes
0 downvotes
Hot Dogs do not have to be "air tight" when you buy them, usually when you open the package and cook like 4 or so you can wrap saran wrap or glad cling wrap over the opened side of the package and it will still stay fresh, they put lots of preservatives in hot dogs cus thats why. i personally pop them in a Zip Lock brand or generic ziippy bag after I open em.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5801 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the time the vacuum seal gets blown and there is a pin sized hole in the package. It can happen anywhere in the supply chain. If you squeeze the package you might hear the air leak or a little bit of water might come out.

There are times where a seal was made to a package but it didn't vacuum seal perfectly and air is still inside because the timing became slightly off in the plant.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.