• Feb 4th, 2019 7:04 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10285 posts
3990 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sammjm wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 3:02 pm
i went thru the whole thread and still cant decide which model should i keep. i have the 5440 in my hand and the 3940 is on sale this week.

please your advice as i am going to buy the 50ft freshlocker rolls so the accessories dont matter.
Basically the difference between the two Foodsavers boils down to HOW you are going to use it - one has a manual clamp system that holds the bag in place while the other is controlled by a switch and electrically clamp the bag. Some people like the manual control as it allows you to move the bag around to where you want to clamp... while others like the idea of engaging the clamp system by hitting a button. At the end of the day, both will do the job; however, the 3940 may last longer due to the fact it's more mechanical.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4472 posts
502 upvotes
I just used the Freshlocker roll for the first time today. They seem like they are great quality.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3482 posts
150 upvotes
sammjm wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 3:02 pm
i went thru the whole thread and still cant decide which model should i keep. i have the 5440 in my hand and the 3940 is on sale this week.

please your advice as i am going to buy the 50ft freshlocker rolls so the accessories dont matter.
I haven't found the 5440 yet. I have an older version. The auto seal is a waste of bags and space. I much prefer to pick where exactly I'd like to seal the bag.
Dec 1, 2016
214 posts
104 upvotes
So I bought the 5440 for 129 and not sure if I should replace it with the one on sale. First time vacuum sealer so not sure what is best.

Read through the thread but still not sure. Any advise?
Dec 17, 2017
22 posts
6 upvotes
As having the 5440 and a similar model like the 3940, I would give hands down to the 5440. I'm not hardcore but I use the vacuum sealer at least once a week and also do alot of sous vide too.

The main reason being:
1. The sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session.

2. The 5440 has a pulse function to it. This allows you to control the amount of suction at small increments. It doesn't vacuum right away, you just press the pulse and it will suck air abit a time. This has been quite useful for moist or delicate foods where you don't want to completely crush it and need control. It is also perfect for sous vide as well.

3. I also noticed the 5440 seal was quite thicker than the other food saver I had. If someone has both right now, I'd like them to do a seal on both machines and compare.

If point #2 isn't something you do, then go cheaper.
Sep 16, 2013
611 posts
285 upvotes
SW ON
aphextwin wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 5:54 pm
As having the 5440 and a similar model like the 3940, I would give hands down to the 5440. I'm not hardcore but I use the vacuum sealer at least once a week and also do alot of sous vide too.

The main reason being:
1. The sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session.

2. The 5440 has a pulse function to it. This allows you to control the amount of suction at small increments. It doesn't vacuum right away, you just press the pulse and it will suck air abit a time. This has been quite useful for moist or delicate foods where you don't want to completely crush it and need control. It is also perfect for sous vide as well.

3. I also noticed the 5440 seal was quite thicker than the other food saver I had. If someone has both right now, I'd like them to do a seal on both machines and compare.

It's interesting that the 3940 is actually more expensive - the regular price is $150 and it's on sale now for $110.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1495 posts
481 upvotes
Scarborough
alpovs wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 6:13 pm
It's interesting that the 3940 is actually more expensive - the regular price is $150 and it's on sale now for $110.
the $129.99 price was already a sale price for the FM5440 at Costco.

from a 2017 thread the 5440 had an original price in the $180 range at Costco..

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-f ... 9-2136414/
Dec 17, 2017
22 posts
6 upvotes
alpovs wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 6:13 pm
Costco is able to get it at in insanely cheap price even at the regular 190 it use to be.

Foodsaver's website for the FM 5440
it's 299
https://www.foodsaver.ca/en_CA/vacuum-s ... ml#start=1

The difference I see is the the website comes with some more bags and a jar stopper.....maybe worth 30 bucks of accessories but exact same model.
Dec 1, 2016
214 posts
104 upvotes
aphextwin wrote:

The main reason being:

Thanks for all this info. I will keep my 5440 and buy some more bags at costco as they are on sale.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1413 posts
69 upvotes
Montreal
Could anyone confirm if this is the normal thickness of the FM3940?

Seems a little thin to me but I can't find an image on the Web to confirm.
Knowledge is power
Jun 27, 2017
160 posts
44 upvotes
My Costco didn't have the 5440 so I purchased the 3940 and the pack of bags ($40 on sale for $30). Will be using to keep foods fresher in freezer and sous-vide. I hope it serves me well.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10285 posts
3990 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nitram wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 11:21 am
Could anyone confirm if this is the normal thickness of the FM3940?

Seems a little thin to me but I can't find an image on the Web to confirm.
Good idea about posting a picture for comparison... I've never been able to find any comparison on the thickness of the seal other than generic statements such as 'extra' thick seal which means nothing. Any comparisons should be made in reference to the 'N' in Canada on the quarter so it's easier to compare.

While I don't have a 5440, I can confirm using a Freshlocker 8" roll that my V3460 has a seal that is approx 2x as thick as the 'N' in Canada. It's possible that the Freshlocker bags do a better seal (ie melt under lower temperatures) than the Foodsavers. If I have time today, I'll see if I can do a comparison with a Foodsaver bag.
Sep 2, 2014
260 posts
116 upvotes
aphextwin wrote:

The main reason being:

is the point one the sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session for the 5440 or the 3940 model?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10285 posts
3990 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just compared the seal on my V3460 using a Foodsaver bag with the quarter as well as the Freshlocker bag. The seal width is identical but the Freshlocker seal seems more uniform. It may be that since the Freshlocker dimples are shallower, the more uniform seal is created as there's not as much of a gap between the surfaces.