Personal Finance

Hot? Free Companion Flight & No Fee Banking Package for Engineers, Lawyers, Docs, ...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2009 11:20 am
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
247 posts
73 upvotes

Hot? Free Companion Flight & No Fee Banking Package for Engineers, Lawyers, Docs, ...

Is anyone aware of, or has signed up for, the National Bank Financial Package for Professionals.

What maybe makes this HOT is that it offers a bonus of a free companion flight to Paris, London, or Orlando for sign ups to their Ovation Gold Mastercard or Platinum Mastercard before Dec 31, 2009.

What I have gathered:
- No fee chequing account with unlimited transactions
- lower annual fee of $70 for the Ovation Gold MC instead of $90 - earns 1.5 points per $ spent (plus no fee additional card)
- LOC @ prime +1%

It applies to the following professions and students in those professions:

Lawyers (QC only)
Engineers and Graduates in engineering
Healthcare professionals
Nurses
Notaries
Clients of National Bank Financial
Graduates of HEC Montréal
Accountants (CA)
Accountants (CGA)

What are people's personal expereince with this bank? In Calgary they only have 3 branches. Is their online banking system any good? I might consider switching from TD...no fee account would be great although TD has no fee as long as I keep the minimum balance.

At the very least I would get the MC to replace my MBNA SPG when it is discontinued

Anyway to get TD to match?

----
EDIT:

Whoops - looks like there have been a couple of other simialr posts in other forums (although not quite the same deal):

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/merg ... on-774667/
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/nbc- ... ot-793638/

EDIT 10-13-09: additional flight is open to any resident of Canada so long as the purchaser is a NBA Ovation Gold or Platinum who signed up between Aug 1 - Dec 31, 2009
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6114 posts
560 upvotes
RFDPants wrote: Is anyone aware of, or has signed up for, the National Bank Financial Package for Professionals.

What maybe makes this HOT is that it offers a bonus of a free companion flight to Paris, London, or Orlando for sign ups to their Ovation Gold Mastercard before Dec 31, 2009.

What I have gathered:
- lower annual fee of $70 for the Ovation Gold MC instead of $90 - earns 1.5 points per $ spent (plus no fee additional card)
- LOC @ prime +1%

Lawyers (QC only)
Healthcare professionals
Nurses
Notaries
Accountants (CA)
Accountants (CGA)

What are people's personal expereince with this bank? In Calgary they only have 3 branches. Is their online banking system any good? I might consider switching from TD...no fee account would be great although TD has no fee as long as I keep the minimum balance.

At the very least I would get the MC to replace my MBNA SPG when it is discontinued

----
EDIT:

Whoops - looks like there have been a couple of other simialr posts in other forums (although not quite the same deal):

Why would they limit that category of professions to Quebec only :confused:

I was moderately interested until I saw the QC restriction. Guess my business goes elsewhere.
Nov 12, 2003
213 posts
2 upvotes
I have been using national bank for >3 years for my MasterCard, and LOC

Availability of branches is sadly lacking, so I would recommend another bank for that, e.g. PC Financial - no fee bank accounts (can use CIBC atms)

Customer service is pretty good, their call center is in Quebec, so you have to put up with the French Accents when you deal with them over the phone.
RFDPants wrote: Is anyone aware of, or has signed up for, the National Bank Financial Package for Professionals.

What maybe makes this HOT is that it offers a bonus of a free companion flight to Paris, London, or Orlando for sign ups to their Ovation Gold Mastercard before Dec 31, 2009.

What I have gathered:
- LOC @ prime +1%

Lawyers (QC only)
Healthcare professionals
Nurses
Notaries
Accountants (CA)
Accountants (CGA)

----
EDIT:

Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44377 posts
4965 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Fact this applies to students too makes this HAWT!

So if I'm reading the site correctly, you also have to have the MC to be eligible for this professional account, right?

And no monthly fees? Am I reading this right? And for students it says the annual fee for the MC is waived for the first two years! And I automatically get a free companion flight without paying a single cent? How does this work?

Is there a link specific to the free companion flight offer?
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
247 posts
73 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Fact this applies to students too makes this HAWT!

So if I'm reading the site correctly, you also have to have the MC to be eligible for this professional account, right?

And no monthly fees? Am I reading this right? And for students it says the annual fee for the MC is waived for the first two years! And I automatically get a free companion flight without paying a single cent? How does this work?

Is there a link specific to the free companion flight offer?
I think the free companion flight only applies to professionals - if you go to the links for your prospective profession it will show the promotion. The link for students don't show the flight promotion. I think the students package is the chequing account, student LOC, and credit card.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44377 posts
4965 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RFDPants wrote: I think the free companion flight only applies to professionals - if you go to the links for your prospective profession it will show the promotion. The link for students don't show the flight promotion. I think the students package is the chequing account, student LOC, and credit card.
I don't see anything about a free flight under the Engineering "professionals" link either so I don't see any indication that it would be only for professionals and not for students.

The only indication I found was this link:
http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/files/bnc10164/en ... inum1.html
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
247 posts
73 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I don't see anything about a free flight under the Engineering "professionals" link either so I don't see any indication that it would be only for professionals and not for students.

The only indication I found was this link:
http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/files/bnc10164/en ... inum1.html
I think you're right. So students would be eligable for the comanion flight with sign up for the card.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44377 posts
4965 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Does it sound too good to be true guys? No fee bank account, no fee credit card, BOGO free ticket?

Still deciding if it's worth it though. Ticket must be for traveling before July 31 2010 and I would still need to pay for the first ticket.

I don't see myself using the credit card as SC is still better.
Feb 28, 2005
179 posts
18 upvotes
Etobicoke
FYI: Looking at the fine print for engineers-professionals....

Flights are with Air Transat to London, Paris or Orlando
You pay the "taxes" on the companion flight -- that's sometimes most of the cost.
Aug 8, 2008
241 posts
39 upvotes
Although it says "QC only" for the professions, it is available across Canada.
Jul 5, 2006
30 posts
1 upvote
I have had the no fee account & the Ovation Gold Mastercard for many years now. It really is no fee (well, except for the Mastercard yearly fee), even in-branch transactions are free. Over here customer service can't be beat, they have so many branches. Online banking is good, basic, easy to navigate, no third party money transfer available though. Someone mentioned about the call center being in Quebec, well, it's much better than India!!
Dec 2, 2003
742 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Octavius wrote: Why would they limit that category of professions to Quebec only :confused:

I was moderately interested until I saw the QC restriction. Guess my business goes elsewhere.
iliveinmycantina wrote: Although it says "QC only" for the professions, it is available across Canada.
QC means Queen's Counsel, not Quebec City.
I would think that anyone who is a Lawyer (and qualify for the offer) would know the term.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2006
247 posts
73 upvotes
SkiD wrote: QC means Queen's Counsel, not Quebec City.
I would think that anyone who is a Lawyer (and qualify for the offer) would know the term.
My bad - I'm not a lawyer. I used QC as a short for Quebec.

So for Lawyers this deal only works for you is you are a member of Corporation de services du Barreau du Québec.

For Notaries, it only applies for those registered with Chambre des notaires du Québec.

For CA professionals they have to be members of Ordre des comptables agréés du Québec.

For CGA they have to be members of Ordre des comptables généraux licenciés du Québec.

Otherwise, it applies nationwide for engineers, nurses, physicians, dentists, chiropractors, optometrists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, podiatrists or veterinarians, graduates of HEC Montreal, and National Bank Financial clients.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18383 posts
2781 upvotes
Langley
Those companion tickets are a total waste of time because they're not valid with discounted tickets. A full fare "economy" ticket is super-expensive.

If you want the other stuff, then go for it, but don't do it for the "free" ticket.