Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

*HOT* Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS Watch

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2014 8:45 am
[OP]
Aug 12, 2011
241 posts
143 upvotes
NORTH YORK

[Microsoft Store] *HOT* Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS Watch

Was browsing for a running watch and came across this at the Microsoft Store. I don't think Garmin products at least the sport ones go on sale that often or for that much. It's a basic GPS watch with no heart rate strap included, but you can get one separately if you want.
21 replies
Apr 22, 2014
95 posts
6 upvotes
Gatineau
Any free apps is better than this. I had a garmin and brought it back to the store. Its not bad just cant beat a phone. Garmin needs to innovate a bit here. Personally i do not recommend it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1582 posts
273 upvotes
Calgary
There's a garmin 220 on airmiles.ca for 3000 airmiles, it comes with a HRM. My last garmin fell apart, literally split in half and no warranty left. I can't decide what to replace it with. Using a nike+ sportwatch with a HRM that I bought off kijiji, but I don't think it's the best quality either. I wanted to pair my old garmin 305 hrm strap with a phone app, but for the life of me couldn't get anything to work. I bought a runtastic HRM at bestbuy, used it once on my phone and it was terrible. Really hard to have to look at your phone to see HRM while running, and that plug in thing was really bulky and frustrating. There's also a Suunto gps running watch that has more features on airmiles.ca for 2800 miles, and it retails on amazon for $400 so it might be a better deal. So freaking hard to decide.
Sep 14, 2012
141 posts
25 upvotes
Pincourt
garmin always has a end of spring sale, I believe the 910xt is down 150$ (including mail in rebate at the running room) for a price of 249... but their website is down at the moment
Nov 19, 2009
441 posts
114 upvotes
Windsor
arch0n wrote: Any free apps is better than this. I had a garmin and brought it back to the store. Its not bad just cant beat a phone. Garmin needs to innovate a bit here. Personally i do not recommend it.
Accuracy on smartphones is garbage. The 110 won't play you "Eye of the Tiger" on repeat, but for their purpose I'd take real issue with saying free apps are better. Might be good enough considering the savings but functionally, they suck.
Apr 22, 2014
95 posts
6 upvotes
Gatineau
ram77 wrote: Accuracy on smartphones is garbage. The 110 won't play you "Eye of the Tiger" on repeat, but for their purpose I'd take real issue with saying free apps are better. Might be good enough considering the savings but functionally, they suck.
I used runkeeer and my garmin 220 together for a week before returning especially for that reason and accuracy was the same. But if you like your garmin its alright. Just poiting out to OP and others that they might wanna try an app 1st before shelling some 100$+ in a watch they will only wear for running.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1720 posts
1086 upvotes
arch0n wrote: Any free apps is better than this. I had a garmin and brought it back to the store. Its not bad just cant beat a phone. Garmin needs to innovate a bit here. Personally i do not recommend it.
Yeah, unless you really dislike the extra weight of a phone, id say getting an arm band is better. Managing these things with their apps, and having to make sure they're charged is just one extra thing that could discourage you from working out.
Personally, id just find an old crappy 3.5" phone(Like an optimus one) and use it as a dedicated gps logging thing... that way, if you sweat all over it(and i do when i use the arm band) it isnt too big a deal if it breaks. Plus, its a lot less unwieldy than a nexus 5.
Nov 21, 2013
29 posts
LONDON
I just bought the Foerunner 10. I would have bought this instead purely because it is the cheapest. These watches are fantastic piece of gear.

Cell phones have too much bulk and mass. I don't like arm bands and do not want anything bouncing around in my pocket. I really only needed an instantaneous pace and will never use a HRM, so a watch was the way to go.

Hot deal for those in the market!
Apr 22, 2014
95 posts
6 upvotes
Gatineau
Scott86 wrote: Yeah, unless you really dislike the extra weight of a phone, id say getting an arm band is better. Managing these things with their apps, and having to make sure they're charged is just one extra thing that could discourage you from working out.
Personally, id just find an old crappy 3.5" phone(Like an optimus one) and use it as a dedicated gps logging thing... that way, if you sweat all over it(and i do when i use the arm band) it isnt too big a deal if it breaks. Plus, its a lot less unwieldy than a nexus 5.
Agree on that if u dont need music and carry only the watch then yes its might be the best solution.
But my phone serve as an mp3 player too. I just clip it on my belt and use bt headphones and get my pace through audio cues.
Nov 2, 2003
452 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
Reading some reviews, I gather that this will not display your current pace, which is a dealbreaker for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2360 posts
767 upvotes
It depends what you want. Smartphone apps aren't great if you want to see your current pace, last lap pace, distance, etc. all at a glance. They will record your run though, which if that
s all you want, is fine.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1117 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
smg669 wrote: Reading some reviews, I gather that this will not display your current pace, which is a dealbreaker for me.
The video that I'm seeing shows current pace on the bottom of the watch display. Does this model have the heart rate monitor? (Edit: Noted in the first post, it does NOT include the heart rate monitor).

http://www.runnersworld.com/electronics ... runner-110

This watch it $179 on Amazon.ca ?? Seems like a hot deal. I am seriously considering it at $99.99. Any reason to talk me out of it?

How are returns to Microsoft handled? Can I return to a store?
lenny = white
carl = black
Nov 2, 2003
452 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
Jeroyds wrote: The video that I'm seeing shows current pace on the bottom of the watch display. Does this model have the heart rate monitor? (Edit: Noted in the first post, it does NOT include the heart rate monitor).

http://www.runnersworld.com/electronics ... runner-110

This watch it $179 on Amazon.ca ?? Seems like a hot deal. I am seriously considering it at $99.99. Any reason to talk me out of it?

How are returns to Microsoft handled? Can I return to a store?
It's a contentious issue. It does a sort of hybrid version of "current pace" that averages pace since your last lap/split. It's not a true "real time" current pace. Google " forerunner 110 current pace" and you'll see. Some people argue that the 110's method is preferable, but I would prefer a raw pace reading, even if the nature of GPS refresh will result in some sporadic results.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
1059 posts
1039 upvotes
Norilsk
I use my phone to listen to music when I run. Oh and it does everything and more than any watch.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/app/
sixteen12 wrote: It depends what you want. Smartphone apps aren't great if you want to see your current pace, last lap pace, distance, etc. all at a glance. They will record your run though, which if that
s all you want, is fine.
Not only can you see everything, you can also take other people's routes, have the route of any race in any city mapped out for you.. . . .
If I robbed the place I would be out by now....
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18024 posts
10827 upvotes
Ottawa
For running, I prefer my Garmin watch, takes a beating, sweatproof, easy to glance at, comes with HRM strap. Music comes from my iPod shuffle which I don't notice the weight of. The only thing that I carry that's heavy is a few belt sized bottles of water.

For riding, I use a Garmin Edge computer. Easy to read and mounted on my bike. I don't want to drain the battery running GPS on my smartphone if I really need it (flatted etc)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1112 posts
821 upvotes
Moncton
smg669 wrote: It's a contentious issue. It does a sort of hybrid version of "current pace" that averages pace since your last lap/split. It's not a true "real time" current pace. Google " forerunner 110 current pace" and you'll see. Some people argue that the 110's method is preferable, but I would prefer a raw pace reading, even if the nature of GPS refresh will result in some sporadic results.
Just set your lap/split distance to 100m and it is as close to instantaneous as you would ever need to be.

I've got this watch and use it every time I run. It's a steal for $99. For those who do use something like this, I highly recommend strava.com to track your results/progress.
Nov 2, 2003
452 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
oIIIIIo wrote: Just set your lap/split distance to 100m and it is as close to instantaneous as you would ever need to be.

I've got this watch and use it every time I run. It's a steal for $99. For those who do use something like this, I highly recommend strava.com to track your results/progress.
Interesting approach - which would work for many circumstances. Unless you actually wanted to use the split feature for actually recording split times (i.e. 1km). Which you might not need to do if you're doing the kind of speed training that would necessitate real-time pace readings.

BTW, do you have any experience with iPhone apps (i.e. Nike+ Run or MapMyRun) and do you find the Forerunner is a more accurate measure of distance than those?

Thanks