Expired Hot Deals

[Cheer] HOT HOT HOT! LIFE PLANS : Festive Cheer , and Holiday Miracle Plan! JAN 16th last day

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 7:50 am
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1263 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
fizz1234 wrote: any suggestions whether to get the Huawie BOGO or wait for the lightly loved phone sale on the 26th??
i want to get any andriod for my bro
Are you planning on getting the Holiday plans? If so, then you need to do it on or before the 24th. The lightly loved phone promotion doesn't start until after this one ends.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1298 posts
307 upvotes
Free Willy wrote: Are you planning on getting the Holiday plans? If so, then you need to do it on or before the 24th. The lightly loved phone promotion doesn't start until after this one ends.

no im already on it,just need to get the nice chat plan for my bro
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1263 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
fizz1234 wrote: no im already on it,just need to get the nice chat plan for my bro
Did Wind change their bogo offer? I thought the bogo deal only worked for the Pearl and the Bold.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1298 posts
307 upvotes
Free Willy wrote: Did Wind change their bogo offer? I thought the bogo deal only worked for the Pearl and the Bold.

no they extended it for other phones too..like buy any phone except for BOLD/PEARL and get one of the 2 huwae for free
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1263 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
fizz1234 wrote: no they extended it for other phones too..like buy any phone except for BOLD/PEARL and get one of the 2 huwae for free
Oh, I didn,t know they'd done that. I'm on my phone so I don't really want to look up the prices and do the math right now, but I think you might want to hold off for a few days and see if any prices are leaked for the handset sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1298 posts
307 upvotes
Free Willy wrote: Oh, I didn,t know they'd done that. I'm on my phone so I don't really want to look up the prices and do the math right now, but I think you might want to hold off for a few days and see if any prices are leaked for the handset sale.

ya I was also thinking to do that :evil:
want to get him a good fone for cheap...lets hope they drop down price for andriod under a $70 :lol:
Nov 4, 2009
5 posts
GTA
Sorry for the noob question, but I have tried doing a search and can't find the answer.

Have 3 Rogers lines (2 off contract, 1 about to be off contract) and these offers by Wind/Mobilicity just seem too good not to switch now.

I have some concerns about whether or not the rates could be changed later on of if these are really life plans. On the Wind website, under their Agreement/Terms of Service, it states, "2. Changes to the Terms of Service
We may change these Terms of Service, the Services and our fees and rates
at any time from time to time by posting revisions to our website at
http://www.windmobile.ca/. We may also put a note on your invoice, or send
you a text message or e-mail to let you know that a revision is available on our website. If you do not agree with any change to these Terms of Service, the
Services and our rates and fees, you’re not locked in - contact us immediately
to terminate the Services. If you don’t terminate the Services before the revision
comes into effect, your continued use of the Services means you agree to the
revision as posted to our website."

Mobilicity has a similar legal clause as above.

Have any new subscribers signing up in a store looked at the contract or terms of service or whatever you have to do to sign up/activate and confirmed if these are really life plans? Does anyone have any other information or confirmation that these are life plans? Rogers changing their TOS by decreasing LCA coverage, charging for incoming texts, greatly increasing early termination fees, etc has me wondering if Wind would do the same when they have a more comfortable amount of subscribers.

They are still better rates and plans than anything any of the Big 3 are offering, but I just wanted to clear this up before I switch all of the lines. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14698 posts
5743 upvotes
Gatineau
tone1 wrote: Sorry for the noob question, but I have tried doing a search and can't find the answer.

Have 3 Rogers lines (2 off contract, 1 about to be off contract) and these offers by Wind/Mobilicity just seem too good not to switch now.

I have some concerns about whether or not the rates could be changed later on of if these are really life plans. On the Wind website, under their Agreement/Terms of Service, it states, "2. Changes to the Terms of Service
We may change these Terms of Service, the Services and our fees and rates
at any time from time to time by posting revisions to our website at
http://www.windmobile.ca/. We may also put a note on your invoice, or send
you a text message or e-mail to let you know that a revision is available on our website. If you do not agree with any change to these Terms of Service, the
Services and our rates and fees, you’re not locked in - contact us immediately
to terminate the Services. If you don’t terminate the Services before the revision
comes into effect, your continued use of the Services means you agree to the
revision as posted to our website."

Mobilicity has a similar legal clause as above.

Have any new subscribers signing up in a store looked at the contract or terms of service or whatever you have to do to sign up/activate and confirmed if these are really life plans? Does anyone have any other information or confirmation that these are life plans? Rogers changing their TOS by decreasing LCA coverage, charging for incoming texts, greatly increasing early termination fees, etc has me wondering if Wind would do the same when they have a more comfortable amount of subscribers.

They are still better rates and plans than anything any of the Big 3 are offering, but I just wanted to clear this up before I switch all of the lines. Thanks!

Tone1, I wouldn't worry too much about them changing the plans. Yes they are for life as long as you don't change your plan and your account is in Good Standing.

Yes, according to the TOS, they very well could change the terms of this plan. Do you really think they would do such a thing knowing absolutely no one is under contract and can leave at anytime they want and take their phones to Mobilicity? Right now WIND needs subscribers and they are willing to take any at any cost (They hope to have over 200K by Dec 31st).

djino
"But the choice is yours!"
Nov 4, 2009
5 posts
GTA
djino wrote: Tone1, I wouldn't worry too much about them changing the plans. Yes they are for life as long as you don't change your plan and your account is in Good Standing. Is this in writing anywhere?

Yes, according to the TOS, they very well could change the terms of this plan. Do you really think they would do such a thing knowing absolutely no one is under contract and can leave at anytime they want and take their phones to Mobilicity? Right now WIND needs subscribers and they are willing to take any at any cost (They hope to have over 200K by Dec 31st).

djino
"But the choice is yours!"

Thanks for the quick response.

I know what you mean, but each carrier can only undercut each other's prices or match them for so long, and then they will have to come to an agreement as to not cutting the plan costs anymore. So, if you're not on contract to Wind, leave and don't want to purchase new hardware, you can go to Mobilicity, but who knows what plans and at what price they may offer by the time you decide to go there?

I guess I'm thinking longer term. I wouldn't want collusion between Mobilicity and Wind to end up in the oligopoly of the Big 3. With TOS, it just looks like what looks to be a good deal now could have all of those who switched groaning about how the new carriers were no different. Or if they eventually get swallowed up by the Big 3 (like Fido, Virgin Mobile), will they just become clones of their policies/pricing instead of great new innovative carriers?

I still just really want to know if the "life" plan is in writing anywhere, because I'm still serious about switching. :)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14698 posts
5743 upvotes
Gatineau
tone1 wrote: Thanks for the quick response.

I know what you mean, but each carrier can only undercut each other's prices or match them for so long, and then they will have to come to an agreement as to not cutting the plan costs anymore. So, if you're not on contract to Wind, leave and don't want to purchase new hardware, you can go to Mobilicity, but who knows what plans and at what price they may offer by the time you decide to go there?

I guess I'm thinking longer term. I wouldn't want collusion between Mobilicity and Wind to end up in the oligopoly of the Big 3. With TOS, it just looks like what looks to be a good deal now could have all of those who switched groaning about how the new carriers were no different. Or if they eventually get swallowed up by the Big 3 (like Fido, Virgin Mobile), will they just become clones of their policies/pricing instead of great new innovative carriers?

I still just really want to know if the "life" plan is in writing anywhere, because I'm still serious about switching. :)

Well you definitely will not be able to get it in writing that you will keep this plan and all its features for the same price for life. If this is a dealbreaker for you, than its pretty unfortunate. I can understand though how the Big 3 have made you feel this way and that its always best to get everything in writing so you can fight it should changes occur.

Even if say they made a change in 2-3 years time that you were not comfortable with, you can switch. You would have saved tons of money having the plan for years over the prices you would have paid with the Big 3. No?

Lets just say I'm more comfortable with changes being made while I'm not obligated to a carrier than being stuck in a multi-year contract with the Big 3 while they increase cost to system access fees, 911, calling features, etc.

djino
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1073 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
canadiankorean wrote: What about get the 9700 on windtab, then sell it for $300 and get mobilicity spice or nexus one?
Or buy motorola xt720 from wind and put on tab?
I was looking at the motorola xt720 but it's pretty expensive even on the windtab, $250 after discount, which would take 5.2 years to pay off.
slowtyper wrote: Tigerlily,

You are getting the data plan so why exclude phones that don't have wifi? Wifi might be faster but no real point or time savings switching to wifi just when you are at home. If you are getting data it shouldn't affect your decision IMO.

As for me, I am thinking I will get no data. I have data currently and I use it all the time, but mostly for useless stuff. I'm thinking I'll get a basic phone too, no smartphone, so I won't be tempted in the future to add data.

However the basic phones, from looking at the website, are really ugly. I'm a little conflicted now. Not sure what to do!
I thought Wifi might be useful if I'm in an area where I can't get that great of reception with data. You're right, it's not essential, but it's a nice to have. Though does the Nokia become better than the others? I'm just tempted to get the Bold b/c everyone seems to be using Blackberries though I don't know much about them.

I'm not sure what I'd get for a regular phone. Maybe the Samsung Gravity 2?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1073 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
maho wrote: Me too. My contract expires in the end of Jan 2011... It is just 5 weeks from Dec 24 and I could save the $100 ECF.

I am also interested in data service.. and I prefer U8100 because of the price, Wifi support and Wind user reviews.

I know! What to do. . . Some people have suggested buying the Telus sim card, switching numbers and the porting in your number. But I figure the price of the month of the current plan I have ($30), the sim card ($10), the activiation fee ($25) and a possible switching number fee I might just pay a bit extra and not bother about the hassle and just pay the ECF. That is IF I do cancel which I'm not sure if I will :P
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2681 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone switch from Mobilicity? If so, could you tell me if it was worth the switch? I F&F plan for 35 but if service is much better I wouldn't mind switching.
Nov 4, 2009
5 posts
GTA
djino wrote: Well you definitely will not be able to get it in writing that you will keep this plan and all its features for the same price for life. If this is a dealbreaker for you, than its pretty unfortunate. I can understand though how the Big 3 have made you feel this way and that its always best to get everything in writing so you can fight it should changes occur.

Even if say they made a change in 2-3 years time that you were not comfortable with, you can switch. You would have saved tons of money having the plan for years over the prices you would have paid with the Big 3. No?

Lets just say I'm more comfortable with changes being made while I'm not obligated to a carrier than being stuck in a multi-year contract with the Big 3 while they increase cost to system access fees, 911, calling features, etc.

djino

It's not a dealbreaker not to have it in writing, but I would have preferred to actually see it somewhere since everyone just keeps saying that it is. Overall, it's still worth the risk of higher prices long term to support smaller, competitive carriers now and help them get through their growing pains. I have been an early supporter of Fido, Telus (back when they were PCS Clearnet) and Rogers (back to Cantel AT&T). It's unfortunate that it seems the Big 3 have become too greedy and complacent about their market share and customer support base that they charged exorbitant rates for inexpensive calling features, non-existent access fees, reduced calling areas, etc.

It just seems strange after having become so used to years of feeling like you had to lock into a contract to guarantee that you could grandfather this or that rate plan or feature value pack or get a hup to deal with the sense of freedom that Wind and Public Mobile are now offering. I can't stand all of the nickel and diming and calls to Loyalty and Retentions departments anymore if I can get a good upfront deal now!
Dec 15, 2010
335 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm currently on the "Always Shout-Special Edition" plan. I'm paying 25 bucks a month but I just checked my account details and it says "REGULARLY $45/mo. Save $20/mo for up to 1 year"
Can I change my plan to the "It's a Holiday Miracle" Plan? Is that one 25 dollars for ever?

Also, can current customers take advantage of the "wind tab" or is that just for new customers?

Thanks for the help