Expired Hot Deals

[Cheer] HOT HOT HOT! LIFE PLANS : Festive Cheer , and Holiday Miracle Plan! JAN 16th last day

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 7:50 am
Dec 15, 2010
335 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
I had issues with my credit so I couldn't get on Tab :cry:
But I still bought the BB Curve :lol: 300 bucks poorer :(

It's funny though, even before doing the credit check the guy told me that it won't accept you lol Anybody else here in the same boat?
Apr 25, 2005
879 posts
240 upvotes
After 13 years of crappy Telus/Clearnet service (constant call drops in my area), I moved on to WIND yesterday (and my number ported within hours) and I'm glad to see that the coverage in my area is excellent (Barrhaven/Ottawa) as well as my work area which is in Bell's corners.

I get 3-5 bars on my Nokia 5230 (it is funny that my friend's 600 dollar Nexus gets only 0-1 bars) along with reasonable data speeds in Barrhaven. I almost did a full tour of the city (Ottawa/Barrhaven/Nepean/Kanata) and so far, everywhere the coverage has been great. I will soon do upload to the coveragamapper.com.

I was told that Barrhaven coverage was on the plans, but as far as I can tell, it is fully functional. I also tried mobilicity and my coverage was dismal (0-1).

I've put the phone in full time UMTS/3G/Home network only.

So far, so good. Just waiting for my HD2 to arrive so I can actually enjoy the new features.

One thing of note is that w.r.t call forwarding.
Apparently, you can forward your calls to any canadian number and under the $40 plan, it doesn't cost anything extra (which makes sense). But they don't let you forward to a US number (unlike mobilicity). It is not a very important feature, but if they provide you free long distance to the US, they why not the capability to forward?
Aug 21, 2009
737 posts
73 upvotes
GTA
nimaa wrote: It's funny though, even before doing the credit check the guy told me that it won't accept you lol Anybody else here in the same boat?

why would he say that?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1281 posts
312 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: Who claimed the Nokia 5230 was comparable to an iPhone? How is a $98 phone going to compare favourably to one of the BEST smartphones around worth $600+?

It is a nice cellphone with basic smartphone features. It is very useable, but you cannot expect performance/functionality like a Galaxy S or iPhone.

I had really LOW expectations given its $98 price. I was pleasantly surprised by it's capabilities. It has a real voice turn-by-turn GPS navigation application. I have d/l Need for Speed onto it and played it a bit. We can send/receive emails. We can browse web sites. Voice quality is excellent, speaker phone is excellent.

I've been able to live with it as a cellphone, email reader, texting for the past week. Taken a few pictures, d/l my Outlook address book from the PC, connected to the bluetooth to my car deck, even able to transfer my address book to the car deck. Its turn-by-turn navigation got me through a horrible rush hour traffic jam by Pearson Airport last week. Checked stock prices via cnbc.com frequently. (Yes, it has some issues ... but pretty good value for $98.)

If we are coming from a good smartphone, we need to get a Galaxy S/Nexus S (or similar Android unit). We should treat the Nokia as an interim phone until we can source one of the great Android phones. (Then the Nokia becomes a backup/emergency phone.)
Obviously I'm not comparing it to iPhone 4g. It's supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 3g, I just find it lacks in all the areas the iPhone excels at. The capabilities of the phone for the price is good like you said though, so I guess that's where the trade-off came.

My expectations weren't all that high. I would have just liked a better functioning on-screen keyboard and a better interface. I'm constantly clicking on the wrong thing, because the tap doesn't read very well on the touchscreen. If you're just using it as a phone, it's fine. I just don't see how it can be used long-term for texting and data.
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
can the wintab be used for anything else than paying off their phones? So far, if you are not a BB fan, their andriod selection is lacking even behind mobilicity. if this trend continues, one would accumulate tab but the phones would never be avaiable in time. Right now I would want to get LG Optimus T available thru TMobile, but it is nowehere in Can.
Feb 18, 2010
703 posts
62 upvotes
taehoya wrote: So....who here works @ wind? ;)

$20 for unlimited data only sounds amazing.

Yeah it does. Oh well... I don't want to be buying the plan off someone.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1281 posts
312 upvotes
gromitlad wrote: If you don't care about the GPS you could maybe go exchange it for the $78 Samsung Gravity 2. It's a nice slider phone that seems like it would be great for texting, but it doesn't have the 5230's GPS functionality.

If I keep this Wind Plan I'm definitely going to upgrade to the Nexus S as soon as I can.
My fingers were cramping up from using the 5230 while entering contacts, which is probably why I'm hating it more than I should right now. I'm only going to be using it a short amount of time, so I should be able to tolerate it for a bit.
Feb 22, 2007
214 posts
282 upvotes
New Westminster
What is the "Global Text" messaging option?
Is it just what it sounds like? International text messages are free within Wind zones?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3356 posts
1259 upvotes
Brampton
djino wrote: WindTAB is only for new activations (as to be placed at the time of activation). And if in January if the Holiday Miracle plan is no longer offered, you won't be able to get the Tab on the plan (you'd have to choose a plan that's currently available at the time) and close off your current account.
subliminal wrote: Isn't Windtab only available up to December 31st?

That's what it says on the ToS part of the page:
http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/WINDtab.aspx
hahahha, so much for my idea then
interim phone it is
thank you mr djino and mr subliminal for clarification
nada
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
275 upvotes
The Windtab is only available in corporate stores and selected locations (as per the website). Any one know which locations in Markham and Scarborough or even Ajax has it?
;)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7694 posts
787 upvotes
North York
stillmatic11 wrote: My fingers were cramping up from using the 5230 while entering contacts, which is probably why I'm hating it more than I should right now. I'm only going to be using it a short amount of time, so I should be able to tolerate it for a bit.

Does your iPhone support syncing with MS Outlook? The Nokia supports Outlook sync (even the picture/thumbnails).

I guess that is why my Nokia was fairly functional from the start, I was able transfer my Outlook contacts. The Nokia BT also supported contact/phone# transfer to my car stereo for hands free while driving. It was a breeze to setup my POP3 email. I was able to define a few key bookmarks for my popular websites. (So I did not lose any productivity/functionality with the 5230. Speed and look & feel are a different matter.)

I would use a retracted pen tip if entering alot of contacts (with the original screen protector on). This should save your fingers from cramping. I actually still have the originial screen protector/sheet on.

I have to be honest, when I tried to make the Nokia work the way my previous smartphone did, it was a little frustrating. Then I rebooted myself and tried to discover how to best do things the Nokia way. Nokia has a pretty decent system, you just have to learn/adjust to it. (I played with a N8 at best buy and found it worked in much the same way as the 5230 ... just much faster!)

Did you install the OVI suite on your PC (Internet d/l)? I think it allows you to type in your contact into your PC and sync it to your Nokia.

The OVI app store is okay too. I found the Opera Mobile 10 browser. It should be better than the default Nokia one. (I haven't played with the Opera).

Good Luck.
Jul 7, 2003
530 posts
225 upvotes
theshowman wrote: I get 3-5 bars on my Nokia 5230 (it is funny that my friend's 600 dollar Nexus gets only 0-1 bars) along with reasonable data speeds in Barrhaven. I almost did a full tour of the city (Ottawa/Barrhaven/Nepean/Kanata) and so far, everywhere the coverage has been great. I will soon do upload to the coveragamapper.com.

I was told that Barrhaven coverage was on the plans, but as far as I can tell, it is fully functional. I also tried mobilicity and my coverage was dismal (0-1).
This is good news. I'm hesitant to port my number over to Wind just yet because I had concerns about the coverage in Barrhaven and don't want to lose my current Rogers plan just quite yet. Curious, how far south did you go into Barrhaven? Did you go past Strandherd?

When I bought my sim card today, the Wind rep said that the president of Wind was in town a few days ago and mentioned that Barrhaven should be officially up and running by end of next month.

Lastly, I asked a Wind rep through their chat session whether I could switch from prepaid to post-paid but still be able to keep the Holiday Miracle Plan. Her response was 'yes' so long as you pass the credit check. This was after "checking with the back office".
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11357 posts
1390 upvotes
People always talk about bars still...aren't "bars"as a measurement, on todays modern digital signal devices, meaningless?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2006
2057 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone pay upfront for the monthly plan when getting the 40 dollars one.
Dec 25, 2007
621 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
I had to pay upfront with for the phone+$25monthly plan. BTW i went in store erin mills mall location for wind and i was able use the face book coupon -$20 off the nokia 5230 =$78 for the phone. The person behind me also had a coupon they didn't even scan it and applied $20 off :-0 on the bill. For people that don't have a credit card you can get use online banking to pay for monthly plan, but can't get wind tab as they can' check your credit since no credit card.