Expired Hot Deals

[Cheer] HOT HOT HOT! LIFE PLANS : Festive Cheer , and Holiday Miracle Plan! JAN 16th last day

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 7:50 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
14728 posts
5789 upvotes
Gatineau
SvTenno wrote: i want to switch 2 lines over, can i get the bogo bb's on a 40 and 25 dollar plan? instead of on the 40's? or can i call in and switch the 40 to the 25 plan afterwards? thanks

You should be able too. If the rep says both need to be 40s. Just do it, and switch them by calling 611 (or Live Help) after.

djino
Newbie
Jun 15, 2005
81 posts
38 upvotes
yaister wrote: I am getting Nokia N8. Do you guys know if I am able to use data on Wind Mobile $40 plan?

As far as I know this is the only phone that supports all GSM and HSPA bands, so you'd be able to use it on Wind's local network or roaming anywhere in Canada and the world. That was one of the things that sold me on it before I bought mine.
Jr. Member
Jan 21, 2010
164 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
gobbledygoo wrote: I believe one way to do this is:
- walk into a T-mobile store
- ask to sign up as a new customer for pay-as-you-go (hence no contract) and get the cheapest airtime you can
- since you have no contract but you're now officially a tmo customer, you can buy any phone they offer (i.e. Nexus S) at full price of course
- go back home to Canada and enjoy your Nexus S :)
- all you would lose is whatever airtime and activation fee they charge you when you open the account

Thanks, I'll give that a try, but I'll likely wait until Best Buy USA posts something official on their website. The Google Nexus S website clearly states that

"Availability: After December 16, Nexus S will be sold unlocked and carrier-independent initially through Best Buy stores in the U.S. and after December 20 at Carphone Warehouse stores in the UK."
-http://www.google.com/nexus/#/tech-specs

But I still don't want to take that risk of driving down to Buffalo until I see it on the Best Buy website.

zulu5
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
Midevilshadow wrote: I hope that this isn't considered thread hijacking, but could those on Mobilicity and those on Wind post some speed tests as well as their locations? It would be good for those considering to switch from Mobilicity (e.g. me :razz :) .

Mobilicity
Finch and Leslie, Toronto.
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1069290359.png[/IMG]
djino wrote: I get an average of 3.00 Mb/s down and 0.30 Mb/s up with WIND in Aylmer, Qc (Ottawa ZONE)

djino
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1069312875.png[/IMG]
Not sure if this helps you... But I am in Ottawa in my cube at Carling Campus (ex-Nortel Campus) with 1 bar out of 4.
Newbie
Feb 4, 2009
7 posts
If I get a LG Optimus T from ebay can I unlock it some where? because I cant find unlocked phone for sale it seems that all are locked to tmobile. Does anybody uses this phone with Wind?Will it work?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2004
117 posts
28 upvotes
I just phoned and wanted to make a point to anyone thinking of calling. This is only applicable to people living within there red wind zone. Anything outside of that is not included and you are billed per minute roaming charges. Just wanted to post so people don't waste there time.

Great deal for people in the zone!! Thanks OP!!

Link to coverage maps http://care.windmobile.ca/Support/Store ... cator.aspx

Cheers!
Sr. Member
Jul 21, 2006
563 posts
169 upvotes
zulu5 wrote: Thanks, I'll give that a try, but I'll likely wait until Best Buy USA posts something official on their website. The Google Nexus S website clearly states that

"Availability: After December 16, Nexus S will be sold unlocked and carrier-independent initially through Best Buy stores in the U.S. and after December 20 at Carphone Warehouse stores in the UK."
-http://www.google.com/nexus/#/tech-specs

But I still don't want to take that risk of driving down to Buffalo until I see it on the Best Buy website.

zulu5

FYI on Nexus S, the reviews don't look all that great... I was excited about getting it until I read many of the hands on reviews.. Nothing revolutionary... No memory card slot, so it is stuck with 16Gb, and No HD video recording. From my perspective the only bonus with this unit versus other units is the Pure Google, where it would get updates quicker than non Pure Google phones. Aside from that, there are actually a few drawbacks. If you can wait for updates to come eventually on other devices then I would argue that they are a better bet.
Member
Jan 24, 2007
489 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
any chance this deal will come back in the far future?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12275 posts
3411 upvotes
dpolites wrote: FYI on Nexus S, the reviews don't look all that great... I was excited about getting it until I read many of the hands on reviews.. Nothing revolutionary... No memory card slot, so it is stuck with 16Gb, and No HD video recording. From my perspective the only bonus with this unit versus other units is the Pure Google, where it would get updates quicker than non Pure Google phones. Aside from that, there are actually a few drawbacks. If you can wait for updates to come eventually on other devices then I would argue that they are a better bet.

well.. what kind of "revolutionary" are you looking for ?

Are you looking for that kind of "revolutionary" that only happens in apple's marketing ?

"this changes everything again..." :facepalm:
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
my son wanted the BB 9700 for xmas and i want him to have unlimited talk & text. So..can i get the phone for the $250 and the $25 plan for a lifetime? sorry if its a dumb question im about one step above rotary phone :razz:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
14728 posts
5789 upvotes
Gatineau
d0rksterr wrote: any chance this deal will come back in the far future?

There's a chance anything can happen or NOT happen :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 21, 2009
3693 posts
1572 upvotes
Grimsby
dpolites wrote: FYI on Nexus S, the reviews don't look all that great... I was excited about getting it until I read many of the hands on reviews.. Nothing revolutionary... No memory card slot, so it is stuck with 16Gb, and No HD video recording. From my perspective the only bonus with this unit versus other units is the Pure Google, where it would get updates quicker than non Pure Google phones. Aside from that, there are actually a few drawbacks. If you can wait for updates to come eventually on other devices then I would argue that they are a better bet.
I've used a few different android based phones, and the one I enjoyed the most was the Nexus One with pure google and first to get updates. I can understand that others would prefer something different, but i'm pretty excited about the Nexus S (not expecting anything revolutionary). being "stuck" with 16GB really doesnt bother me, lol.. I actually prefer it. Also, besides the N8 and iPhone 4, i've found all other cameras (on phones) that i've used to be pretty bad in comparison.
sexyj wrote: well.. what kind of "revolutionary" are you looking for ?

Are you looking for that kind of "revolutionary" that only happens in apple's marketing ?

"this changes everything again..." :facepalm:

lol :lol:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
14728 posts
5789 upvotes
Gatineau
raptorfan wrote: my son wanted the BB 9700 for xmas and i want him to have unlimited talk & text. So..can i get the phone for the $250 and the $25 plan for a lifetime? sorry if its a dumb question im about one step above rotary phone :razz:

Yes.

But your son will probably want data, I'd recommend adding the $40 one.

djino
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2067 posts
334 upvotes
Ottawa
raptorfan wrote: my son wanted the BB 9700 for xmas and i want him to have unlimited talk & text. So..can i get the phone for the $250 and the $25 plan for a lifetime? sorry if its a dumb question im about one step above rotary phone :razz:
And a BB 9100 ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
djino wrote: Yes.

But your son will probably want data, I'd recommend adding the $40 one.

djino

why is that please?
Sr. Member
Jun 1, 2006
992 posts
215 upvotes
raptorfan wrote: why is that please?

cause we don't live in 1990 anymore....lol

People don't use a cell phone just for calling, especially if they have a blackberry. It doesn't make sense to own a blackberry without a data plan....you might as well just get a cheap $0 phone at that point.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 9, 2006
9361 posts
12706 upvotes
GT-EH
Well I called Rogers and they did let me go without hesitation. (wasn't too surprised there)

Only problem is that I have a phone LOCKED to rogers.
Is the new law in effect where they have to unlock these phones for you for free after you are done your term / contract.
In my case I'm done my 3 year jail term, so I want to port this phone over to this new WIND plan.

I remember reading it somewhere but I can't remember if it's true or not.
Do I just bring my current phone into any Rogers dealer and can they help me unlock it?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
3933 posts
1180 upvotes
Durham Region
No, Rogers won't unlock your phone.

And No, they don't have to, there is no law that makes them.

But regardless, what phone is it? Unless it's an N8 it won't work with Wind anyways.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
raptorfan wrote: why is that please?

about 80-90% of blackberry users use BBM(blackberry messenger), a popular messaging app(especially with teenagers) which requires data. The general consensus is that blackberry is first and foremost a messaging phone and BBM is its best feature. Without that, the phone is not worth the price (IMO). Although I personally don't think it's worth the price even with BBM, but that's just me.
© 2015
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2003
759 posts
241 upvotes
Markham
raptorfan wrote: why is that please?

Because if you want to use a blackberry for anything more than talking and sending sms messages, e.g) use the blackberry for email, accessing the internet, bbm, facebook, twitter (or all the other things the cool kids do - he will need data.

As mentioned, if you just get the $25 plan, may as well get the cheapest phone, there is no advantage of getting a blackberry (other than paying more) as he won't be able to use any of the "blackberry functions" without a data plan.

Top