Expired Hot Deals

[Cheer] HOT HOT HOT! LIFE PLANS : Festive Cheer , and Holiday Miracle Plan! JAN 16th last day

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2011 7:50 am
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2008
1316 posts
103 upvotes
Square One, Mississa…
Re-iterating my offer:

Looking to partnerup with someone taking the BOLD + Tab. Will put up $100+tax for the pearl.

Also have the $20 facebook coupon, that if works will be split half.

I am in Mississauga for the weekend. But can meetup anywhere in GTA.

Let me know!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2448 posts
868 upvotes
firstimer1969 wrote: Has anyone experienced this indoor vs outdoor signal change in downtown ottawa?

thanks for the input.

I can tell you this much:

Currently on Beech St., near Preston - good signal on a data stick (varies between 70% - 99%) with ~ 3Mbps download speed. My wife is chatting on her U8100 quite happily.

We're moving round the corner onto Bayswater Ave and I know our landlord gets good Wind indoors there; I took my data stick round to try and was getting 5Mbps there. Insanely good for 3g.

Not quite downtown I know, but hope it helps.
Feb 15, 2006
244 posts
12 upvotes
I made a switch this afternoon. Got HTC maple with 40$ plan, having same issues mentioned above regarding reception inside and out. Lucky to get 1 bar inside apt, on balcony 3-4.

Also one thing I wanted to ask, the rep told be porting my rogers # should take 2-3 hrs max. However, it's been 4 hours now I still have the temp number I was assigned. Was I supposed to do something on my end?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3986 posts
939 upvotes
Markham
yin5yan wrote: How do you read this map?

You can click on the Legend, but basically it's just a google map of the data collected from many users. Light green means full coverage. Just zoom into the area you want to check.

You can alosuse this site to look at Mobilciity coverage as well for comparison.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1195 posts
232 upvotes
petert wrote: Don't forget that $20 facebook is apply to every new phone that you purchase.
I just tried this at a kiosk, and you can't use the discount with phones that are already discounted. I know that's what the fine print says........but still! They wouldn't budge. :facepalm:
Mar 5, 2004
75 posts
Toronto
So today after following this tread for the last few days finally decided to make the leap to Wind. My Fido agreement is ending January and I already called Fido to give them 30 days notice. I was just deciding between Wind or Mobilicity.

I went to the Wind store at Main St and Danforth, and they were out of Blackberry Curves, the woman there told me they're a new store and don't even have debit/credit card machines. lol

So I ended up going to the Wind corporate store at Victoria Park and Danforth (near the Zellers) and signing up!

So far the reception matches what I have/on Fido at home. I'm at Birchmount and Danforth Ave and I have full bars in my basement. Let's see how it holds up when I go downtown, Eaton Centre, and west end :)

I logged into the website to check my usage and it says I have 50 txt messages, but I should have unlimited for the Festive Cheer plan. Anyone else log into their account on the website and see things that don't look right?
Jan 31, 2007
71 posts
6 upvotes
Whitby
I'm thinking of jumping into WIND pool too.

For those who are customers already, What 'extra' fees are there over & above the $40 for the Holiday Miracle Plan?
I would be switching from Bell that charges me a system access fee & a 911 fee.
Even if there are fees on top of the $40 price point, its still a great deal, I'm just curious what my new total monthly bill will be.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8220 posts
1198 upvotes
TO
Vednar wrote: Yeah that would be a deal breaker for me too. Check by getting a test phone. It might work. You wont' know until you check it out.

The folks at the blockbuster store i went to which has WIND MOBILE kiosk weren't too sure but what is return policy? Is it 30 mins or certain # of days and will they take back the phone if reception in my area is horrible which so far I've heard here (west mississauga) ?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
TDIWingnut wrote: I'm thinking of jumping into WIND pool too.

For those who are customers already, What 'extra' fees are there over & above the $40 for the Holiday Miracle Plan?
I would be switching from Bell that charges me a system access fee & a 911 fee.
Even if there are fees on top of the $40 price point, its still a great deal, I'm just curious what my new total monthly bill will be.

Thanks.
I just got my first bill yesterday and I can tell you that there are no extra fees. The $40 plan is $40 flat before tax.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: The folks at the blockbuster store i went to which has WIND MOBILE kiosk weren't too sure but what is return policy? Is it 30 mins or certain # of days and will they take back the phone if reception in my area is horrible which so far I've heard here (west mississauga) ?
30 minutes and 14 days.

Edit: Corrected. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Jonavin wrote: It's 14 days.
Doh, you're right. Thanks for the correction. I don't even know what I was thinking. I've had to exchange my handset, so I even looked up the policy too. Sorry, TorontoEh.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8220 posts
1198 upvotes
TO
Free Willy wrote: Doh, you're right. Thanks for the correction. I don't even know what I was thinking. I've had to exchange my handset, so I even looked up the policy too. Sorry, TorontoEh.

hey thanks.... so even if I took a phone out on a tab, it should be okay to return right? I may try to see how reception is and get the deal for $25.
Although hoping to go for the BB Curve with tab $140 and the $25/month plan. I don't think it'll come with the BBM service?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1369 upvotes
daverobev wrote: I can tell you this much:

Currently on Beech St., near Preston - good signal on a data stick (varies between 70% - 99%) with ~ 3Mbps download speed. My wife is chatting on her U8100 quite happily.

We're moving round the corner onto Bayswater Ave and I know our landlord gets good Wind indoors there; I took my data stick round to try and was getting 5Mbps there. Insanely good for 3g.

Not quite downtown I know, but hope it helps.
the only place I lose signal downtown its in parts of the rideau center. At the very inner of BR I lost signal. That was one month ago. Not sure about now. Everywhere else has been perfect.

Today I was also at the marshes in Kanata .. 3mbps full signal.
Jan 21, 2010
164 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Moebiwankenobi wrote: Update for anyone in Calgary that wants to know. I got a Wind Samsung Gravity 2 to test out the signal strength in Calgary NW tonight. I have to say that it's sometimes excellent and sometimes non-existent. However, the neighborhoods of Kincora, Evanston, Creekside, and Sage Hill are all in the Wind Home Zone (which is not correct on their map or the mobile cell coverage maps previously linked). This is great news for me, even though I'm only getting 3-4 bars in my house and certain parts of my community dips to below 2 bars.

The plan is to test the network near the workplace and the route to work, call Rogers to find out exactly how much to cancel, then port my number over to a dummy phone for now while I wait for the Nexus S to arrive.

Question for those with a Nexus S, as the previous users mentioned, there's no indicator on Wind Home and Wind Away, is there a way to force roaming to be off on the Nexus or am I screwed since I'm right at the edge?

Once you get the Nexus S:

1) pull up the keypad and type *#*#4636#*#*
2) select phone info
3) scroll down to preferred networks
4) select "WCDMA only"

You should be locked on Wind only which is called "302490". That's what it says instead of Wind Home or Away

zulu5
(also accepting wind phone numbers) :o
Dec 16, 2010
3 posts
Ottawa/Gatineau
I tried signing up with a WindTab and was refused because I have Quebec address. The sales guy at Carlingwood said no way and the only way to sign up with Wind is to buy the phone outright. Is this correct? I live in Aylmer and I saw a few other posters from this area - did you guys have any issues?
Aug 21, 2009
737 posts
73 upvotes
GTA
Long thread, just want to be sure:

I signed up for wind yesterday with windtab. Got a new number. Can I port in my old number to my account (before the 24th) so it replaces the current number? Does it just substitute the number in the sim or do I have to purchase a new sim? Will all account settings and plan info remain intact?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1265 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: hey thanks.... so even if I took a phone out on a tab, it should be okay to return right? I may try to see how reception is and get the deal for $25.
Although hoping to go for the BB Curve with tab $140 and the $25/month plan. I don't think it'll come with the BBM service?
Yes, as long as you return it within the 30 minutes/14 days period, you'll get a full refund. The $25 plan does not come with data, which you need for BBM (although you can always us BBM over wifi if that works for you).