Expired Hot Deals

[IBM] HOT: IBM Certified Macbook Pro Mid 2014 i5, 8GB, 128GB, Extended Warranty $950

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2016 2:27 pm
Tags:
May 19, 2003
322 posts
65 upvotes
To all of you that received a MacBook Pro. Could you please compare your software serial number with the hardware serial number on the bottom of the case and post your results?

I received my 2014 retina MBP a few days ago. Like most others it was completely spotless and had only 6 battery cycles. However, when I ran the serial number listed in the system information on the Apple Warranty website the results stated: "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again." So I tried again a couple more times with the same result of serial number not valid.

At this point I called Apple and provided the rep with the same serial number listed in the system information. The Apple rep returned the same result - invalid serial. At this point he asked me to provide the serial number from the bottom of the MacBook case. I immediately noted that the serial listed in the system information and the one from the case were totally different. When the Apple rep ran that case serial number it came back as valid, but that "something was very strange". His system indicated that the system was built in 1978, and the warranty had expired approximately 13,000 days ago. He then asked where I bought the system, so I explained the IBM purchase, to which he responded that I should contact IBM and ask them to explain. I have not yet called IBM.

I just ran the bottom case serial number on the Apple warranty website and the results were: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) and valid purchase date.

This leaves me somewhat uncomfortable because a. two different serial numbers of which the one from the machine, and the one I would expect to be more trustworthy is invalid, b. Apple has no idea why this might be the case, c. if there is an issue while travelling, walking into an Apple store for support will provide unknown results.

I'll probably return this unit. Please check both of your serials and post results.
Jan 31, 2008
542 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
skyway wrote:
May 25th, 2016 1:32 pm
To all of you that received a MacBook Pro. Could you please compare your software serial number with the hardware serial number on the bottom of the case and post your results?

I received my 2014 retina MBP a few days ago. Like most others it was completely spotless and had only 6 battery cycles. However, when I ran the serial number listed in the system information on the Apple Warranty website the results stated: "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again." So I tried again a couple more times with the same result of serial number not valid.

At this point I called Apple and provided the rep with the same serial number listed in the system information. The Apple rep returned the same result - invalid serial. At this point he asked me to provide the serial number from the bottom of the MacBook case. I immediately noted that the serial listed in the system information and the one from the case were totally different. When the Apple rep ran that case serial number it came back as valid, but that "something was very strange". His system indicated that the system was built in 1978, and the warranty had expired approximately 13,000 days ago. He then asked where I bought the system, so I explained the IBM purchase, to which he responded that I should contact IBM and ask them to explain. I have not yet called IBM.

I just ran the bottom case serial number on the Apple warranty website and the results were: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) and valid purchase date.

This leaves me somewhat uncomfortable because a. two different serial numbers of which the one from the machine, and the one I would expect to be more trustworthy is invalid, b. Apple has no idea why this might be the case, c. if there is an issue while travelling, walking into an Apple store for support will provide unknown results.

I'll probably return this unit. Please check both of your serials and post results.
You have to understand, your warranty for this product is not with apple...it's with IBM directly. if you have issues, you don't go to apple...You have to go through IBM. It's most likely IBM sent the list of serials to apple and told them to remove it because of this warranty process.
May 25, 2016
1 posts
Hi guys, can you check if your received 13 inch Macbook Pro 2014 retina can boot up with Apple Diagnostics to check your hardware? I received mine and try to run Apple Diagnostics to test if all the hardware is okay, and then found out I cannot use Apple Diagnostics in this machine. Here is link:https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18765?locale=en_US
May 19, 2003
322 posts
65 upvotes
lilpoorpk wrote:
May 25th, 2016 1:49 pm
You have to understand, your warranty for this product is not with apple...it's with IBM directly. if you have issues, you don't go to apple...You have to go through IBM. It's most likely IBM sent the list of serials to apple and told them to remove it because of this warranty process.
Yup, I understood that before ordering. However, the situation I described strikes me as odd nonetheless. Why would one machine have two different serial numbers? In my opinion, and in hindsight, having to deal with IBM for warranty is inherently problematic. It's not like you can just walk in to the IBM Store if your battery, SSD, etc. fails. Nope, you have to call IBM and either send the whole thing back for complete replacement or deal with a third party repair shop. Neither are convenient options, especially if you rely on the machine for business purposes or while traveling.

I dropped mine off today for return to IBM.
Jan 31, 2008
542 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
skyway wrote:
May 27th, 2016 12:27 am
Yup, I understood that before ordering. However, the situation I described strikes me as odd nonetheless. Why would one machine have two different serial numbers? In my opinion, and in hindsight, having to deal with IBM for warranty is inherently problematic. It's not like you can just walk in to the IBM Store if your battery, SSD, etc. fails. Nope, you have to call IBM and either send the whole thing back for complete replacement or deal with a third party repair shop. Neither are convenient options, especially if you rely on the machine for business purposes or while traveling.

I dropped mine off today for return to IBM.
Yeah, that is quite weird...only thing I can think of is they popped the SSD into a new shell and didn't re-register the new serial :\ (is that even possible? not sure...apple stuff might be all soldered on...I'm not sure how macbooks are built anymore :P).
But back to your convenience comment...I believe it's the same...you can't just walk into an apple store and deal with the "geniuses"...you have to book appointments before you can go...and with how things are built on the macbook (not sure how much of the parts are fully soldered on and can't be replaced...) you end up getting just a new macbook because they can't change out parts.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3927 posts
2398 upvotes
Burnaby
Aren't these being sold with a vendor's warranty [i.e., IBM] not with a manufacturer's warranty [i.e., Apple]?

The only problem would be if the Serial Number was rejected at IBM when registering the warranty. In addition, these units are probably serviced by IBM not Apple during the 15-month warranty period.
May 18, 2016
27 posts
1 upvote
ElHoardo wrote:
May 16th, 2016 3:25 pm
If anyone needs a name drop, you can use my brother, Dan Jordan, employee identification # 10075256
Hey! Thanks for letting us use your brother as a reference. I got a call today and they told me that the employee number is invalid and asked if I had his email so they can email to confirm that I am actually a friend of his. Think you could help me out? Thanks again!