• Jan 15th, 2019 4:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5049 posts
985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
induction is what I prefer...I don't really mind the cord.

Butane just seems dangerous and worry about running out and needing to buy some at the last minute although the wireless is nice and in the event of a power outage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6164 posts
1615 upvotes
Markham
If you've never used the induction units, you should try them. You can leave those wire mesh food nets in the pot and not worry about the thing heating up and burning your hand which is what happens with the butane units. Just used some wide painters tape to tape the cord down to the floor/carpet.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18967 posts
4082 upvotes
Thornhill
In the end, I left it to chance and put it on my Secret Santa list (hotpot + pot + scoops), and my friend got me an induction stovetop! The pot is terrible though, any suggestions on a thicker split induction pot?

My overall thoughts is that, water gets hot quicker but doesn't have the same max temps as butane. Also the built in fan is LOUD! I don't have a problem but I can see how it can be annoying.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39876 posts
3936 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ji2o0k wrote:
Nov 20th, 2015 3:56 pm
My parents use butane and agree with others, love the cordless..

Wifey and I at home use induction...only complaint is the cord and having to use an extension cord to make it longer.

Also, sometimes with butane I get a little antsy that it might explode in my face...lol..
Its never been the same since they invented "final destination" and "1000ways to die".
Sep 28, 2010
56 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Butane is so convenient but be careful that the canister is on tight. My table almost caught on fire.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Induction as who knows when these gas burners can explode...
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39876 posts
3936 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ducxnguyen wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 12:45 am
Butane is so convenient but be careful that the canister is on tight. My table almost caught on fire.
Ogata wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 10:11 am
Induction as who knows when these gas burners can explode...

TRue. These butane stoves do require an amount of care and duty.

SAFETY TIPS

1. Keep flammable and loose items away... e.g. Make sure piles of paper aren't floating around, or a tissue box. A nice clear table with just plates of food is good.

2. Ensure butane can is secured tightly. There is a latch that you pull down. Pull it all the way down. You should hear/feel a click when it locks into place. Give it a quick jiggle to make sure its tight.

3. Inspect your butane stove before use. Ensure its in good condition. Not rusted, switches and locks feel tight and sturdy. No rusted. Ensure your butane can isn't rusted or dented. These things are cheap... a stove is $20. A 4 pack of butane cans is $6... REplace it if its worn out or broken.

4. Crack open your window a few inches so fresh outside air circulates through the room.

5. Use a PROPER sized hot pot. Nothing too massive... but the ones that fit over correctly. REason... If your pot over hangs the stove area... IT will most likely over hang the BUTANE CHAMBER. The heat from the pot will transfer over to the butane can and heat it up. It wont always cause an explosion.. .but it increases the chances when the can heats up.
Butane cans also have this built in protection where the can gets cold as it dispenses. IT prevents explosions. But still a good idea to take all these precautions.

6. Don't leave it unattended. That's a disaster waiting to happen! And avoid it if you have a clumsy pet that knocks things down... Its just not worth it if you dog jumps the table trying to grab a hot pot beef and brings a flaming gas device crashing to the floor.

Explosions are caused by improper use.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5201 posts
1588 upvotes
Alberta
We went with induction. New bought 2 from Costco and they work great. Flat top version makes it super easy to clean up.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 6:55 pm
We went with induction. New bought 2 from Costco and they work great. Flat top version makes it super easy to clean up.
This I don't mind the cord
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14631 posts
1036 upvotes
Markham
Induction for me. Easy temperature control, no need to stock gas cartridges, easy to clean up...
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5201 posts
1588 upvotes
Alberta
Ogata wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 10:23 pm
This I don't mind the cord
The cord is fine with us. It's not like we're taking it outside anywhere.
May 7, 2008
597 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Induction all the way! What's a thin cord?

Induction gives you more precise control - I don't run a full boil for my hot pots but rather enjoy running a low boil and cranking it when needed.

Convenience is also a big factor: hate always having to buy butane refills or forgetting to buy them - and disposing of them in the hazardous waste depot - which is another bonus - likely more environmental friendly? (Not a major tree hugger - so not sure about actually environmental impact of electricity from wall versus another butane can and associated production and shipping costs - but instinctively feels better!)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3174 posts
733 upvotes
Oshawa
Classic butane.

It's just not appealing and right with induction.

Not the same.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10525 posts
829 upvotes
I have both and butane all the way. I don't understand those who say induction has more control. Butane literally has infinite adjustment points compared to induction which has however many are built in.

Personally I find it much faster to adjust the flame exactly how I want than to keep pressing the buttons up and down to figure out what I want. Maybe it's because I'm good at using a gas stove so it's more natural to me?

If I had an induction stove with manual analog dials, perhaps that would be better. But imo induction stoves where you keep pressing up and down to incrementally increase or decrease power are terrible. Had an actual stove that had that and it was a horrible user experience for those that cook a lot. If you don't cook much its not a big deal.