Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
64 posts
Toronto, Ontario

HOT POT lovers

Question for all you hot pot lovers out there:

What do you use for hot pot at home? I've heard of people using rice cookers but I'm not sure if that will maintain the heat. Any suggestions as to where I can pick up a good hot pot set (preferably electric and not gas)? TIA....
24 replies
Oct 11, 2004
741 posts
2 upvotes
gqboy1 wrote:Question for all you hot pot lovers out there:

What do you use for hot pot at home? I've heard of people using rice cookers but I'm not sure if that will maintain the heat. Any suggestions as to where I can pick up a good hot pot set (preferably electric and not gas)? TIA....
at any Asian mall (ie. P-mall) and you should able to find electric or gas stove at those houseware store pretty easily.
Simple is nice.
Jul 8, 2004
627 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Yeah go to any Asian home houseware you should be able to find some. Don't use your rice cooker..i think it will be bad for the coating that lines the rice cooker pot.

I find that it is better to use the gas one, it heats up faster than electric. 4 pack of gas canisters only cost like $3.99 thats like, 1 dollar for a can.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17811 posts
880 upvotes
sorry, i only know about regular pot :(
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I have in fact done it with a rice cooker before back in the university days. It wasn't one of those nice fancy rice cookers. Just one that was old, but working. It was slow compared to the regular gas stove thing that you can buy for cheap these days. But we had very limited resources back then so that was the the last resort
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
64 posts
Toronto, Ontario
for the ppl who use gas.... how long does one of those butane gas last? Is it good to go through one sitting??
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
gqboy1 wrote:for the ppl who use gas.... how long does one of those butane gas last? Is it good to go through one sitting??
about one and a half sitting
Apr 26, 2005
197 posts
toronto
hmm we have an electric-powered wok at home and it worked quite well as a hotpot :) guess the coating would be bad...

otherwise, any regular pot plus a single range burner would do well! (canadian tire has them)
[IMG]http://www.cooking.com.edgesuite.net/im ... 213128.jpg[/IMG]

and I love to make my own dipping sauce...beats all the packaged ones...simple too... grinded garlic + salt + sesame paste + bit vinegar + chive paste + sesame oil....finally a bit soup from the pot...yummy!
Mar 10, 2003
211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
the burners are sold at the big chinese supermarkets, such as TNT or Big Land Farm, they are pretty cheap, i think like $20-30...maybe even less...
Mok
Jul 15, 2003
246 posts
BC
I've found that deep fryers work really well for hotpot because they have enough power to quickly heat up the water. The only downside is they do need to be plugged into the wall.
Jul 8, 2004
627 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
gqboy1 wrote:for the ppl who use gas.... how long does one of those butane gas last? Is it good to go through one sitting??
I got into the hot pot thing a few weeks ago, bought the portable gas burner/grill? from T&T on sale for $19.99 and bought a 4 pack gas canister for $3.99.

I've used it twice so far and its great! I am still on the first gas canister. So I guess 1 can can last at least 2 meals.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
stay away from those gas ones, they blow up! I know 2 family personally where this happened, one kid was badly burned. It's not worth the risk!! Get a single electric stove, they go for about $20 you can't go wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Besides using it for hotpot, those propane burners are great for camping.

Whereas Crappy Tire sells those green propane bottles for $4 - $5 each, the ones you get from Chinese supermarket is much cheaper. The stove is way cheaper too. Last I checked, a Coleman stove is $50. The hotpot stove is $25.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:Besides using it for hotpot, those propane burners are great for camping.

Whereas Crappy Tire sells those green propane bottles for $4 - $5 each, the ones you get from Chinese supermarket is much cheaper. The stove is way cheaper too. Last I checked, a Coleman stove is $50. The hotpot stove is $25.
yeah.. the bottles at chinese stores are like 2.99 for 4..