• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2006 5:59 am
Tags:
None
Oct 6, 2003
205 posts
Toronto
These hot pot stoves (butane?) aren't as good for camping as the coleman propane burners. They're definitely not as strong.. I once took one out (it was winter) and I couldn't get water to boil. No probs with a propane.

For hot pot at home, we boil our soup first on a real stove, then transfer it to the gas stove. It's much faster than using the gas to heat it up from cold (also save some gas :cheesygri ).

-rep
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2858 posts
264 upvotes
hot pot is a must when there's blackout! lol
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
64 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone ever tried using those crock pots or slow cookers? Is the heat high enough on these things?
Dec 13, 2004
936 posts
39 upvotes
if u love hot pot, i think you should invest in a good one

I have a shabu shabu electrical pot that my dad brought 16 years ago...we use it every year, and we LOVE hot pot.....

the money was well worth it...i think i've seen some in pacific mall...but be prepare to put down $100+
- Instant noodle is the way for a healthy balanced diet
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
3 upvotes
Center of the univer…
I never understood the idea of hot pot.

Let's boil food in soup and then dip it in sauce with egg!

I've eaten it more as of late because of the fad. I'm liking it more but still over rated.

Korean BBQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hot Pot although I'm sick of Korean BBQ to the max.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5202 posts
1097 upvotes
Mississauga
if you're gonna get a hot pot...get a GAS one....portability is important.

if you get an electric one....u need to sit near an electric outlet...or use extension cord...safety hazard if you have kids running around...PLUS it takes alot of electricity...u will be making frequent trips to the fuse box.

GAS all the way.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
3 upvotes
Have always used a Gas one since I was a kid.

and you cant compare Korean BBQ with Hot Pot.

its two different things

I personally like Korean BBQ more but Hot Pot is nice ones in a while too.

atleast you wont smell like food after eating Hot Pot for the whole day :lol:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Aug 13, 2004
316 posts
1 upvote
This is what we use at home

Rival 3.5-Quart Stainless Steel Electric Fondue Pot:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=2676633

You can remove the fork holder ring thingy and I think it's better than Gas, less dangerous and it still keeps the heat (you get to set it to different heat settings). You don't have to worry about running out of gas because its electric... so unless you have many blackouts in ur area, then I think this is a good option... It is a lot safer because those Gas burners almost blew up in my face once... that is scary to have a huge flame of fire flash right in front of ur eyes........
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1146 posts
66 upvotes
sadd3j wrote:These hot pot stoves (butane?) aren't as good for camping as the coleman propane burners. They're definitely not as strong.. I once took one out (it was winter) and I couldn't get water to boil. No probs with a propane.

For hot pot at home, we boil our soup first on a real stove, then transfer it to the gas stove. It's much faster than using the gas to heat it up from cold (also save some gas :cheesygri ).

-rep
probably because your surrounding was too windy....
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3553 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
pandaharo wrote:stay away from those gas ones, they blow up! I know 2 family personally where this happened, one kid was badly burned. It's not worth the risk!! Get a single electric stove, they go for about $20 you can't go wrong.
That's a first I've hear stories like that. I mean these kinda stoves has been around for so long and every chinese family seems to have one.