Expired Hot Deals

[Expedia] Hot: TD 1st Class Infinite Visa - 40000 Bonus Pts ($200) Travel - When Signing Up

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2013 4:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
301 posts
138 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[Expedia] Hot: TD 1st Class Infinite Visa - 40000 Bonus Pts ($200) Travel - When Signing Up

Nov. 28/12 update: PROOF.
I just got this in the mail, proving it be correct:
Tried inserting an image and it failed... sorry guys.
Anyways, it was a pamphlet in the mail from TD which said that they are offering, until Dec. 31, 20000 + 20000 bonus points for this card.
I don't know how to insert an image, I don't understand why you can't just copy one from your computer into this thread - it is so stupid IMO.
Anyways, if you want the image I guess you will have to PM me and I can email you or something. Or perhaps someone can teach me "simply" how to attach an image.

Due to the recent cash reward drop in the MBNA Smart Cash M/C, I was looking for another card.

Well, after logging in my TD Bank Account, a promotion popped up saying that there is a bonus of 40000 points or $200 in travel for FREE if one signs up.

The website still shows only 20000 bonus points or $100 in travel, but I called in and sure enough they gave me 40000 points instead.

This card basically give you 1.5% cash back (3 points / $1, 20000points = $100) towards ANY travel on ALL purchases; however, if you book through TD Expedia (which I have not yet because I just applied for the card :D , but will definitely for work trips at the very least), you get 4.5% cash back towards ANY travel.

Coupled with the above bonuses, the card has a number of other pluses, like medial, trip interruption & cancellation, etc...

Now, the card does have a $120 annual fee plus $50 for a supplementary card - BUT, if you have a select service account with TD, then you are eligible to get a $170 credit on credit card fees. So, I asked the lady @ customer service if I could have BOTH the primary and supplementary cards for FREE and she said YES!

I think this is a hot deal for a great card, especially considering the bonus $200 in free travel.
111 replies
May 13, 2007
560 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, this is a good travel cc. After comparison with Capital one. I chose Capital one which gives 2% back on travel.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2753 posts
576 upvotes
I tell ppl to apply for this every time this promo comes up. At the very minimum its a free $80 (200-120) to use towards travel.
Sep 9, 2012
591 posts
133 upvotes
Edmonton
This card collects dust in my wallet (Select Services so the fee is waived). Unless booking travel it's not as good as the Aspire Travel World card (2% > 1.5%).

I will probably cancel it and cash out the select service account after i hit the $ 150.00 bonus.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
301 posts
138 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
siwen66 wrote: Yes, this is a good travel cc. After comparison with Capital one. I chose Capital one which gives 2% back on travel.
imkinger wrote: This card collects dust in my wallet (Select Services so the fee is waived). Unless booking travel it's not as good as the Aspire Travel World card (2% > 1.5%).

I will probably cancel it and cash out the select service account after i hit the $ 150.00 bonus.
I may be mistaken here, so please correct me if I am wrong. These cards all have annual fees of $120 right? They both have similar benefits such as medical, interruption, cancellation, extended warranty, etc... but the Capital One cards give you airmiles as rewards.

Can you use airmiles to book an all-inclusive trip to Mexico via a discount site like escapes.ca or selloffvacations.com?

Can you use airmiles on ANY travel based expense? For example this is from the TD website:
"TD Points are not just for flights, giving you the freedom to redeem them on trains, hotel rentals and/or car rentals - even airport parking, taxes and booking fees. Complete flexibility."

I don't think so. I have friends with airmiles and sure they are beneficial but you CANNOT use them as freely as the TD rewards points. So, while the 2% vs 1.5% may be a benefit, I think the RFD community needs to decide if freedom vs restrictions for their rewards is worth it.

Personally, from the research I have done to date, I think the TD card is better for ME.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
Rewards are better with other CC no doubt. If you have a select service account and are holding the 5k monthly min balance, then there is absolutely NO reason NOT to take advantage of this promotion. Consider it 200$ in crappy-TD travel services for free. sorry for the biased opinion people haha - I just am not the biggest fan of the TD Expedia LOL. but i guess you get the 4.5% return or whatever.

Note the only cost to you would be the 3-9 point hard-credit hit.

Good find OP. It`s not the bank I would go for, or the card I find particularly appealing. However, 200$ free is still quite hot for anyone in the same situation as the OP.
Sep 9, 2012
591 posts
133 upvotes
Edmonton
DiscountRaja wrote: I may be mistaken here, so please correct me if I am wrong. These cards all have annual fees of $120 right? They both have similar benefits such as medical, interruption, cancellation, extended warranty, etc... but the Capital One cards give you airmiles as rewards.

Can you use airmiles to book an all-inclusive trip to Mexico via a discount site like escapes.ca or selloffvacations.com?

Can you use airmiles on ANY travel based expense? For example this is from the TD website:
"TD Points are not just for flights, giving you the freedom to redeem them on trains, hotel rentals and/or car rentals - even airport parking, taxes and booking fees. Complete flexibility."

I don't think so. I have friends with airmiles and sure they are beneficial but you CANNOT use them as freely as the TD rewards points. So, while the 2% vs 1.5% may be a benefit, I think the RFD community needs to decide if freedom vs restrictions for their rewards is worth it.

Personally, from the research I have done to date, I think the TD card is better for ME.
Trying doing your research again.

Edit: Because of your disclaimer at top of your post I'll help you out.

1. The Aspire Travel uses a point system that you can either a) redeem for travel, from any carrier at any time (just like TD, it's NOT air miles) or b) Redeem for straight cash (1.5% of every dollar spent)

2. The annual fee is $ 120.00 but you also get an anniversary bonus of 10000 points ( $ 100.00 towards travel or $ 75.00 in cash).

3. There is no fee for an additional card ($ 50.00 for the TD card).

4. The one major downside of redeeming the points at 2% for travel purchases is that they use a tiered system. However, all you need to do is ask the vendor to split the purchase into two charges. (EG, call expedia, book trip for $1000, tell them to do one charge on the MC for $350 and a second for $650). Login to the Capital One Website and redeem 35000 points onto the $ 350.00 charge and it's gone (2 points per dollar spent, or, 2%, in this case you would need $17,500.00 in spending to get 35000 points).
May 13, 2007
560 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
DiscountRaja wrote: I may be mistaken here, so please correct me if I am wrong. These cards all have annual fees of $120 right? They both have similar benefits such as medical, interruption, cancellation, extended warranty, etc... but the Capital One cards give you airmiles as rewards.

Aspire Travel World card does not give airmiles back. People also claim Presto usage. And Aspire Travel World card has $350 welcome package and $100 annual bonus with $120 annual fee. Second card is free.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1650 posts
1002 upvotes
Ottawa
imkinger wrote: Trying doing your research again. Your post is full of fail regarding the points system on the Aspire Travel.
+1 no airmiles for capital one travel aspire, only points which redeem in tiers.... under 150$ 15000 points, 150.01->350.00 35000 points ect....
May 13, 2007
560 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
DiscountRaja wrote: Due to the recent cash reward drop in the MBNA Smart Cash M/C, I was looking for another card.

Well, after logging in my TD Bank Account, a promotion popped up saying that there is a bonus of 40000 points or $200 in travel for FREE if one signs up.

The website still shows only 20000 bonus points or $100 in travel, but I called in and sure enough they gave me 40000 points instead.

This card basically give you 1.5% cash back (3 points / $1, 20000points = $100) towards ANY travel on ALL purchases; however, if you book through TD Expedia (which I have not yet because I just applied for the card :D , but will definitely for work trips at the very least), you get 4.5% cash back towards ANY travel.

Coupled with the above bonuses, the card has a number of other pluses, like medial, trip interruption & cancellation, etc...

Now, the card does have a $120 annual fee plus $50 for a supplementary card - BUT, if you have a select service account with TD, then you are eligible to get a $170 credit on credit card fees. So, I asked the lady @ customer service if I could have BOTH the primary and supplementary cards for FREE and she said YES!

I think this is a hot deal for a great card, especially considering the bonus $200 in free travel.
This is a big advantage.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
301 posts
138 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
imkinger wrote: Trying doing your research again.

Edit: Because of your disclaimer at top of your post I'll help you out.

1. The Aspire Travel uses a point system that you can either a) redeem for travel, from any carrier at any time (just like TD, it's NOT air miles) or b) Redeem for straight cash (1.5% of every dollar spent)

2. The annual fee is $ 120.00 but you also get an anniversary bonus of 10000 points ( $ 100.00 towards travel or $ 75.00 in cash).

3. There is no fee for an additional card ($ 50.00 for the TD card).

4. The one major downside of redeeming the points at 2% for travel purchases is that they use a tiered system. However, all you need to do is ask the vendor to split the purchase into two charges. (EG, call expedia, book trip for $1000, tell them to do one charge on the MC for $350 and a second for $650). Login to the Capital One Website and redeem 35000 points onto the $ 350.00 charge and it's gone (2 points per dollar spent, or, 2%, in this case you would need 17,500 in spending to get 35000 points).
siwen66 wrote: Aspire Travel World card does not give airmiles back. People also claim Presto usage. And Aspire Travel World card has $350 welcome package and $100 annual bonus with $120 annual fee. Second card is free.
chriscabob wrote: +1 no airmiles for capital one travel aspire, only points which redeem in tiers.... under 150$ 15000 points, 150.01->350.00 35000 points ect....
Ok, my bad. Thanks for clarifying this. I just saw reward miles and got scared off, thinking it was airmiles.
Sep 9, 2012
591 posts
133 upvotes
Edmonton
The 4.5% is nice if you need a Select Service account for your regular banking. However, if you have a free bank account at another bank that does not have a balance requirement, maintaining the $ 5000.00 balance in the TD account just so you can have 2.5% in additional travel doesn't make sense unless you are planning on spending $ 6000.00 on travel in a year ($ 5000.00 to maintain the no fee in a 3% People's Trust TFSA, $ 150.00/year, 2.5% of 6000.00 = $ 150.00)
Jan 19, 2012
270 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal

+1
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2677 upvotes
Vancouver
40,000 points is 2x the normal sign-up bonus, so this is a good deal.

There are long threads about these cards in the Personal Finance forum, so anyone considering signing up for one should check there. Let me just point out a few things about the TD Infinite card, which I do use:
1. It's 4.5% back on travel which is booked through the TD Expedia site (including rental cars, hotels etc.), 1.5% on everything else.
2. It's a straightforward cash-value point redemption for any form of travel or anything vaguely related to travel, so it's really easy to use, unlike more restrictive points systems.
3. The effective cost is about $50 per year, including all the other services associated with the Select Service account (basically the loss of 2% p.a. interest on $5000 minimum balance x 50% income tax on the interest at marginal rate).
4. If you really want, you are allowed to cancel the Select Service account at any time after your Infinite card renewal data has passed, and fee waiver remains in effect for the rest of the year (it is not pro-rated).
Jul 19, 2011
123 posts
36 upvotes
OTTAWA
DiscountRaja wrote: Due to the recent cash reward drop in the MBNA Smart Cash M/C, I was looking for another card.

Applied for this card last week (waiting for it in the mail). Just called TD Visa, CSR shut me down saying its an old offer not currently happening. Some sort of link would really help this...