• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2020 4:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes

Hot tub cover --- looking for reliable source to buy

Like title says, I am looking for a reliable source to buy a hot tub cover at a reasonnable price. Any one here have experience with that kind of purchase? I have used the forum's search engine without any luck on this topic.

TIA
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3218 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
I have had 2 covers made by Hot Tub Covers Canada. Generally speaking you should expect one to last around 5-7 years before you start getting water infiltration into the foam lid and it starts getting heavy.

http://www.hottubcoverscanada.ca/

Long story short, there are a number of companies selling these, but I think most if not all are made in a single factory. Just slightly different pricing etc. between the retail outlets. Sadly I expect they're all about the same quality and 5 years is likely typical.

I might look at one of the rolling cedar covers next time around. May not be as energy efficient and a lot more expensive, but it should last longer and be less bulky to use.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I have had 2 covers made by Hot Tub Covers Canada. Generally speaking you should expect one to last around 5-7 years before you start getting water infiltration into the foam lid and it starts getting heavy.

http://www.hottubcoverscanada.ca/

Long story short, there are a number of companies selling these, but I think most if not all are made in a single factory. Just slightly different pricing etc. between the retail outlets. Sadly I expect they're all about the same quality and 5 years is likely typical.

I might look at one of the rolling cedar covers next time around. May not be as energy efficient and a lot more expensive, but it should last longer and be less bulky to use.
Thanks. Rolling cedar is not an option for me, hot tub runds all year round, so I do need a well insulated cover.
Feb 27, 2007
422 posts
245 upvotes
You could go with a Covana cover as an option? Mine is under a raised deck so it wouldn't fit but I do know friends with them and they're all pretty happy.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
Bought one from cover guy . Way better then my stock Beachcomber cover . I think they are all around 400 dollars .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3218 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: Thanks. Rolling cedar is not an option for me, hot tub runds all year round, so I do need a well insulated cover.
Mine runs all winter also - not sure how much loss there would be with rolling cedar vs. foam, but naturally there would be some.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
von Monster wrote: You could go with a Covana cover as an option? Mine is under a raised deck so it wouldn't fit but I do know friends with them and they're all pretty happy.
Yeah, Covana looks like an excellent option, I have tested it at my pool shop. Just out of my budget ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: Bought one from cover guy . Way better then my stock Beachcomber cover . I think they are all around 400 dollars .
thanks. Will look into that option
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Mine runs all winter also - not sure how much loss there would be with rolling cedar vs. foam, but naturally there would be some.
I think that a rolling cover would be made of red cedar, but white cedar have a R factor of 1.428 ( http://www.cvm.qc.ca/architecture/asset ... eriaux.pdf ). A foam cover, the one I already have at home have a R factor of 22. Not only you save on energy with a foam cover but you also save on the heating element wear... One thing sure with a cedar cover one would not have to clear snow of it ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15864 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another vote for Hot Tub Covers Canada
https:www.hottubcoverscanada.ca/

Our Arctic Spa came with one of their Supreme Walk On Covers

Best in the biz.
Well worth the investment,

And ya ... we run our hot tub year round too.
Snow load isn’t an issue for us, cuz the tub is tucked in under an overhang

BUT ... freakin’ cold weather is
Gets pretty nasty here in Eastern Ontario
The insulating factor of the cover we bought is awesome

Combined with the Arctic Spa tub we bought ... our dealer told us even if the electricity went out at -20 C or worse, our tub wouldn’t freeze with the cover on for about a week. Right there was good enough for me.
(Since we’ve owned the tub ... we’ve only had one winter power failure ... during a very cold night ... and the tub faired better than the house. Tub lost just a few degrees, the house lost about 10 )
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 10th, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3218 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to open the cedar cover, you would absolutely need to clear snow off it.

Bottom line - budget $100 per year for a cover and expect to replace it every 5 years or so. All the 3rd party covers are made in the same place in Ontario.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
torontotim wrote: If you want to open the cedar cover, you would absolutely need to clear snow off it.

Bottom line - budget $100 per year for a cover and expect to replace it every 5 years or so. All the 3rd party covers are made in the same place in Ontario.
my point was with an non insulated cover snow will almost melts automatically on it ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3218 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: my point was with an non insulated cover snow will almost melts automatically on it ;)
Ahh - maybe. Hard to say. I also run a thermal blanket on my tub to reduce evaporation/condensation on the underside of the cover. Not sure it does anything, but they're cheap and easy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Ahh - maybe. Hard to say. I also run a thermal blanket on my tub to reduce evaporation/condensation on the underside of the cover. Not sure it does anything, but they're cheap and easy.
yeah I know those blankets. Never tried it, and would probably find it annoying to take it off every time we want to bath, especially when it's cold and we are in a rush to dig in hot water ;) Would like to know if it makes any difference... you can't compare with before you bought it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Another vote for Hot Tub Covers Canada
https:www.hottubcoverscanada.ca/

Our Arctic Spa came with one of their Supreme Walk On Covers

Best in the biz.
Well worth the investment,

And ya ... we run our hot tub year round too.
Snow load isn’t an issue for us, cuz the tub is tucked in under an overhang

BUT ... freakin’ cold weather is
Gets pretty nasty here in Eastern Ontario
The insulating factor of the cover we bought is awesome

Combined with the Arctic Spa tub we bought ... our dealer told us even if the electricity went out at -20 C or worse, our tub wouldn’t freeze with the cover on for about a week. Right there was good enough for me.
(Since we’ve owned the tub ... we’ve only had one winter power failure ... during a very cold night ... and the tub faired better than the house. Tub lost just a few degrees, the house lost about 10 )
So if you have this cover since day 1 you can't compare the savings (if any savings there is) with a cheaper one… Now, I have looked into their site, and simulate an order. there is a TON of options that we can add… I wonder if those options are that good. Adiing this and thins wll bring a vinyl cover almost at the same price as a Cavana!! ;)
Feb 27, 2007
422 posts
245 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: So if you have this cover since day 1 you can't compare the savings (if any savings there is) with a cheaper one… Now, I have looked into their site, and simulate an order. there is a TON of options that we can add… I wonder if those options are that good. Adiing this and thins wll bring a vinyl cover almost at the same price as a Cavana!! ;)
In that case I know which one I'd pick; for a Beachcomber 578 a Supreme Walk On Cover looks like it runs ~$700 all-in which seems steep.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2612 posts
930 upvotes
Nunavut
Have bought 2 from hot tub covers Canada, there is a couple threads in this sub forum on it where I've also posted my reviews

Don't go overboard with all the upgrades and extras, they are simply not worth it vs the supposed energy savings
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
Eldorado wrote: Have bought 2 from hot tub covers Canada, there is a couple threads in this sub forum on it where I've also posted my reviews

Don't go overboard with all the upgrades and extras, they are simply not worth it vs the supposed energy savings
so if you bought 2 from them, Iguess you are pretty happy with the product? what model you have, and how long does they last? TIA

Also... you really are in Nunavut, with a hot tub?? ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2612 posts
930 upvotes
Nunavut
DoorCrasher wrote: so if you bought 2 from them, Iguess you are pretty happy with the product? what model you have, and how long does they last? TIA

Also... you really are in Nunavut, with a hot tub?? ;)
I got the Deluxe, the Classic is too thin for our winters, and the Premium is only $10 less than the Deluxe so might as well

I selected their 'free upgrades', 6mil vapour barrier which was more than a couple other online shops, covered skirt

I didn't pay for anything extra, from my reading it sounds like it starts getting to the point of overkill and won't recoup that cost in energy savings

No complaints on the cover, it is a rather basic item which I know has to be replaced every few years, just make sure you measure properly

In southern Ontario, first cover lasted I think it was 7 years probably should have replaced at 6, so that's pretty standard
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
Eldorado wrote: I got the Deluxe, the Classic is too thin for our winters, and the Premium is only $10 less than the Deluxe so might as well

I selected their 'free upgrades', 6mil vapour barrier which was more than a couple other online shops, covered skirt

I didn't pay for anything extra, from my reading it sounds like it starts getting to the point of overkill and won't recoup that cost in energy savings

No complaints on the cover, it is a rather basic item which I know has to be replaced every few years, just make sure you measure properly

In southern Ontario, first cover lasted I think it was 7 years probably should have replaced at 6, so that's pretty standard
thanks for the review . So hottubcovers.ca seems to be the RFD official cover supplier. ;) They already have my tub model oin file, I have to provide the measurment by myself? And... their free upgrades look like a ''permanent promotion''

I see that hinge seal (full lenght) is not included... I think that it is a must on our cold winters...?
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Apr 13th, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.