• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2019 3:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes

Hot Tub - Reputable Brands?

Every pool place around here carries different brands of tubs. I also noticed every couple years they will switch brands (I’m assuming sales contract ends).

Speaking with sales staff everyone sells the best most efficient hot tub.

We also have some stand alone stores like BeachComber, Jacuzzi, Arctic Spa and maybe others.

What are the brands to avoid?

What are the top brands if the goal is to buy 1 and keep it for a long time?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22496 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Arctic Spa is made in Canada
And the highest rated for our winter weather
https://www.arcticspas.ca/

Best deals tend to be Spring or Fall
Around the same time as your Province’s City’s Home Shows
Go into a Dealership then, or see their booth at said Show
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1189 upvotes
On my second Beachcomber . Great tub first one lasted 14 years before I wore it out . BTW I use my tub everyday .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
I was thinking Jacuzzi, Arctic Spa, and Beachcomber as a start off spot and go from there.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12146 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
Easto wrote: I was thinking Jacuzzi, Arctic Spa, and Beachcomber as a start off spot and go from there.
My cousin had a beachcomber for 15 years. Any service issue he had for the first 4 or 5 were handled fast. He got rid of it when a pump went and he was concerned it was the circuit board not just a pump.
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
196 upvotes
Leask
My house came with Hot Springs Spa hot tub.

The contractor that winterize it for me said is a durable brand and has seen it last over two decades.

He did also comment that this applies to high end unit only as they are build with better materials.

Mine is 9 yrs old and all the pumps/heater been replaced once (two jet pumps, one circulation pump and one heater). Still works good and it cost $18k to replace. Is a 7 people tub
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
I'm starting to go with what this guy is saying, he notes how Arctic Spa is junk (and gives his reasons with proof) and they are all about the marketing and use proprietary parts ($$$ repairs)

https://hottubuniversity.com/brand-reviews/

Beachcomber he seems to like

Be wary of the Costco tubs, know what you are buying, and don't buy at regular price! On a good sale is when their price starts to reflect the quality
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
PointsHubby wrote: Arctic Spa is made in Canada
And the highest rated for our winter weather
https://www.arcticspas.ca/

Best deals tend to be Spring or Fall
Around the same time as your Province’s City’s Home Shows
Go into a Dealership then, or see their booth at said Show
Highest rated by whom?

They don't seem to be very well insulated in this video - https://hottubuniversity.com/arctic-spa/
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4723 posts
4224 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a used Nordic Omni tub 10 years ago. It was probably close to 10 years old when I bought it. Last winter I finally had to replace the heater and spa-pack unit as the heater wasn't modular and not available any longer. So $800 cash got me into a basic Gecko spa-pack and heater setup which is now easy to maintain next time the heating element fails.

Lifetime warranty on the tub shell. Simple, 110v plug-in deep round tub without all the fancy lights, waterfalls and cup holders. Cedar skirt, traditional looking. Perfect for me and it's lasted around 20 years so far.

I think they're made in Michigan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
There is so much conflicting information out there.

There other tough part is finding a local dealer as well.

Any idea if you can haggle prices on hot tubs?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you have strong-backed friends, a flat bed and a lifting device of some sort, used tubs seem not to be just dime-a-dozen but take-it-away-for-free.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: If you have strong-backed friends, a flat bed and a lifting device of some sort, used tubs seem not to be just dime-a-dozen but take-it-away-for-free.
My brother had a used tub and it was a money pit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Easto wrote: My brother had a used tub and it was a money pit.
How much, given the cost of a new hot tub?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: How much, given the cost of a new hot tub?
There were leaks and some other issues, not too sure on the exact specifics.

He decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and bought a new tub instead.

And the used one came from a family member, so it’s not like they were intentionally given an unreliable tub.

From my understanding he put some money into it, but then drew the line and decided on a new tub
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7751 posts
5240 upvotes
Victoria, BC
THINKPOD wrote: My house came with Hot Springs Spa hot tub.

The contractor that winterize it for me said is a durable brand and has seen it last over two decades.

He did also comment that this applies to high end unit only as they are build with better materials.

Mine is 9 yrs old and all the pumps/heater been replaced once (two jet pumps, one circulation pump and one heater). Still works good and it cost $18k to replace. Is a 7 people tub
Holy crap! $18K for a hot tub?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Chickinvic wrote: Holy crap! $18K for a hot tub?
Very high margin item.

I'd like a hot tub but I want a wood-fired wooden tub, the way it should be
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
2092 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have any input on marquis brand? Compared to arctic fox or beachcomber?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
dannyphones wrote: Anyone have any input on marquis brand? Compared to arctic fox or beachcomber?
Check out Hot Tub University

If you can’t find your answer go to Buyer Assistance and ask a specific question. You’ll get an answer pretty quick.

From their review:

Marquis – Brand Review
“.........
So I got ahold of a brand new Vector 21 Marquis. Now, this is not their cheap line so it should be indicative of what they are building and I have to say it was disappointing!
The quality control was shoddy there were so many little issues it was scary. Bad insulation with spotty application and loads of overspray on pumps and equipment then big gaps where there was simply no insulation, there was a plumbing leak that will be a pain to repair, the plumbing lines were not clean and efficient and there was a fault on one of the water features that literally dumped 50 gallons of water all over my garage.
I’ve since spoken to them and they maintain that this is an anomaly I do give them the benefit of doubt because most of what I have found does support that they are building good tubs but until i see it for myself I have to be cautious with my endorsement…“
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22496 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Very high margin item.

I'd like a hot tub but I want a wood-fired wooden tub, the way it should be
Those are nice ...

But heavy on the maintenance aspect

And not ideal for our FREEZING Cdn Climate

Water will freeze
Or you got to drain it every time you use it

Read thru this pg
And you’ll get an idea of the potential headaches / problems

https://www.backcountryhottubs.com/page ... t-tubs-faq

Our Arctic Spa is nice cuz it has the look of a cedar tub
But the convenience of a fibreglass set up
And it’s made tough ... great for our Cdn weather year round
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
2092 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Those are nice ...

But heavy on the maintenance aspect

And not ideal for our FREEZING Cdn Climate

Water will freeze
Or you got to drain it every time you use it

Read thru this pg
And you’ll get an idea of the potential headaches / problems

https://www.backcountryhottubs.com/page ... t-tubs-faq

Our Arctic Spa is nice cuz it has the look of a cedar tub
But the convenience of a fibreglass set up
And it’s made tough ... great for our Cdn weather year round
What kind of deal did you get for the arctic spa? They’ve got no tax promo right now.
I’m contemplating the glacier or maligine with the salt water accessory.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)