• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2011 3:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 30, 2004
256 posts
26 upvotes
ON
kamran wrote: here's one question I have, with openvpn client running - I assume all of my traffic from my pc is routing through this even newsgroups, torrents, etc? Is there any options to just tunnel webbrowser traffic and exclude newsgroups/torrents? I also have this router WNDR3700

I also have
I'm pretty sure WNDR3700 supports DD-WRT, using that you can do all sort of fancy routing.
But even without that, you can achieve what you are looking for. On you VPS you'd need to edit /etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf and configure some routing. These routing instruct you openVPN client to configure routing,

Code: Select all

push "redirect-gateway"                    # This command would redirect all of traffic from the VPN client through VPN
You'd need to disable the above if you don't want to redirect all the traffic.

Then you'd need to figure out what IP ranges you want to be redirected to VPN. I haven't investigated hulu IPs. But for netflix.com, you'd need,

push "route 208.75.76.0 255.255.252.0"  # to redirect all netflix traffic from client to VPN
And for pandora.com, you'd need

push "route 208.85.40.0 255.255.248.0"   # For Pandora
To investigate IP ranges for other sites like hulu.com, you need to first redirect all the traffic on your PC through openVPN (enable redirect-gateway on VPS). Install and run Wireshark on your PC. Let Wireshark start monitoring network packets. Go to the site like hulu.com, play some video.Stop wireshark monitoring.

Wireshark would give you the detailed dump of all the network packets. Go through them and figure out which ones need to be redirected through VPN. Then add it to openvpn.conf file on your VPS and disable redirect-gateway option.

If you do so for hulu.com, I'd appreciate if you can post your range here as well, that might helpful others. I might do it as well, whenever I get chance.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2004
256 posts
26 upvotes
ON
YouKilledMyFather wrote: Hostrail sucks. I haven't had my 2-unit VPS stay up longer than a few hours at a time.
I'm on Atlas, and only one down time I've noticed so far and it lasted for few hours.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2004
256 posts
26 upvotes
ON
samster125 wrote: Hi all,
I am very interested in signing up with Hostrail with the intention of creating a proxy that XBMC can log into for us streaming sites.
I am an intermediate tecie guy; enough to get myxbmc working nicely. I have XBMC set up on an old xbox as well as 1 pc.

Signing up with hostrail is easy enough, but what os should I choose?
How do I get a proxy set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My old XBOX died a long time ago, can't help you there. One of the option would be to use a DD-WRT compatible router and run openVPN or PPTP client on your router.
I do have XBMC running on my HTPC. If you are using openVPN, you simply need to install openVPN client on HTPC and let it connect on power up.
Jun 24, 2007
106 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
I signed up for this, I'm having fun with it so far (only had it 2 hours, can't speak about quality of service). So far I've setup and am running psyBNC and connected to irc (teksavvy's IRC server). I've also installed a N64 server for playing multiplayer N64 games.. pretty cool for $1/month :)
Dec 23, 2006
267 posts
57 upvotes
Beach wrote: I signed up for this, I'm having fun with it so far (only had it 2 hours, can't speak about quality of service). So far I've setup and am running psyBNC and connected to irc (teksavvy's IRC server). I've also installed a N64 server for playing multiplayer N64 games.. pretty cool for $1/month :)

Is there a tut for the game server?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7084 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Johny

I signed up logged into my VM machine. Is only the console available? is it possible to get a graphical IU like I would for a real computer?
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2004
256 posts
26 upvotes
ON
toalan wrote: Thanks Johny

I signed up logged into my VM machine. Is only the console available? is it possible to get a graphical IU like I would for a real computer?
You mean UI like windows sort of UI? I think someone in this thread posted some links for UI. I never tried it.
If you just want UI to manage the VPS, you can do some basic stuff from HyperVM. If you want UI to manage web site hosing on your server, you can try one of open source panel. I've used kloxo and Webmin with hostrail. They both work fine.
Jun 24, 2007
106 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
atulb wrote: Is there a tut for the game server?
If anyone wants to play Mario Kart 64, give me a PM, my friends and I just played for an hour (multiplayer online) while doing a skype conference, it was a blast. My Server is at: 208.115.240.216

To set up the server:

wget http://www.kaillera.com/files/kailleras ... -linux.tgz
tar kaillerasrv-0.86-linux.tgz
cd kaillerasrv-0.86
edit the conf file to what you'd like (or leave it alone)
nohup ./kaillerasrv &
to start the server in the background.

Now your server is setup, and public (by default), so anyone can connect to it, and create game rooms, and start playing.

To join your server to play:

Download Muppen64++: http://mupen64.emulation64.com/

Load your N64 roms in it, then go to utilities/KailleraClient/Custom IP Button, type in the IP of your shell account, and your now connected, make a room, have friends join, play mario kart (or any other N64 games) :)

A good overall guide can be found at: http://www.goldeneyeonline.com/ They have tons of info for playing goldeneye64 online.
Jun 6, 2005
113 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond
Speed.
Well I have both the low end BuyVM ($15/yr) and the 2 unit VPS (~$21/yr) of Hostrail. Without a doubt the compile speed of BuyVM is about double that of Hostrail, and when you perform a WGET command BuyVM is easily 3-5 times faster. You really notice the difference when you install OpenVPN and it's creating the 1024byte key. I'd hate to see how slow a 1 unit VPS is from Hostrail.

As for download/upload rates, BuyVM is also faster
Hostrail Open VPN is 4.33Mb/s down, 3.21Mb/s up,
Buyvm Open VPN is 5.78Mb/s down, 2.78Mb/s up,
Buyvm PPTP VPN is 2.67Mb/s down, 0.78Mb/s up
I haven't set up a PPTP with Hostrail yet.

Also out of the box BuyVM has the neccessary NAT / TUN modules pre-installed, so no need to ask for a support ticket.

Although I do like Hostrail's UI much better, but that might be because I haven't found Buyvm's one yet (I do hope they have one).
Apr 19, 2010
55 posts
14 upvotes
saflang wrote: Speed.
Well I have both the low end BuyVM ($15/yr) and the 2 unit VPS (~$21/yr) of Hostrail. Without a doubt the compile speed of BuyVM is about double that of Hostrail, and when you perform a WGET command BuyVM is easily 3-5 times faster. You really notice the difference when you install OpenVPN and it's creating the 1024byte key. I'd hate to see how slow a 1 unit VPS is from Hostrail.

As for download/upload rates, BuyVM is also faster
Hostrail Open VPN is 4.33Mb/s down, 3.21Mb/s up,
Buyvm Open VPN is 5.78Mb/s down, 2.78Mb/s up,
Buyvm PPTP VPN is 2.67Mb/s down, 0.78Mb/s up
I haven't set up a PPTP with Hostrail yet.

Also out of the box BuyVM has the neccessary NAT / TUN modules pre-installed, so no need to ask for a support ticket.

Although I do like Hostrail's UI much better, but that might be because I haven't found Buyvm's one yet (I do hope they have one).
I have both as well and I have to agree with you on every point. I installed Kloxo on my BuyVM vps by myself which makes the whole thing more user friendly and is rather straight forward process; just check the Kloxo website for instructions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7084 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks johny for all the help.

I got vnc setup and am now able to surf and troll with the utmost privacy. I wish I could do this post from my the remote machine, but anywebpage of remote complexity crashes firefox on the hostrail machine.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12108 posts
3181 upvotes
toalan wrote: Thanks johny for all the help.

I got vnc setup and am now able to surf and troll with the utmost privacy. I wish I could do this post from my the remote machine, but anywebpage of remote complexity crashes firefox on the hostrail machine.

not enough ram on the vps
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7084 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah probably the ram is the issue. For $1.05 it is pretty neat, the idea of having a dedicated amount of CPU/RAM/bandwidth available 24/7 is cool, just need to figure out a good use for it.
Jun 6, 2005
113 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond
Well now having this VPS has made me another $36 poorer, I just signed up for Pandora One.
Strange how the don't want Canadian's to listen, but their site had no problems having me provide my Canadian postal code for authorization !

Anybody else have good ideas for uses of this VPS ???
toalan wrote: Yeah probably the ram is the issue. For $1.05 it is pretty neat, the idea of having a dedicated amount of CPU/RAM/bandwidth available 24/7 is cool, just need to figure out a good use for it.
Dec 25, 2003
459 posts
389 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought a 2nd VPS and set it up with JohnyM's OpenVPN script, same as the 1st VPS.
Everything looks good and I copied the contents of the new keys.tgz file overtop of my my /VPN folder in the windows GUI.
OpenVPN GUI says "connected" and turns green.

The only address I can ping in the VPS. I cant get any webpages to connect. I cannot even ping numeric IP's.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2869 posts
366 upvotes
realBIGmike wrote: I bought a 2nd VPS and set it up with JohnyM's OpenVPN script, same as the 1st VPS.
Everything looks good and I copied the contents of the new keys.tgz file overtop of my my /VPN folder in the windows GUI.

The only address I can ping in the VPS. I cant get any webpages to connect. I cannot even ping numeric IP's.

The script belongs to VPS NOC actually but lots of sites/people take credit for it.
Jan 16, 2007
986 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
realBIGmike wrote: I bought a 2nd VPS and set it up with JohnyM's OpenVPN script, same as the 1st VPS.

I had the same issue, disabling UAC solved the problem for me. Also running OpenVPN GUI as an adminstrator also worked.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2004
256 posts
26 upvotes
ON
realBIGmike wrote: The only address I can ping in the VPS. I cant get any webpages to connect. I cannot even ping numeric IP's.
On windows PC try,
tracert ip_to_ping

If the first address it tries is 10.8.x.x then you likely missed, the SNAT on VPS as,
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT --to-source ww.xx.yy.zz

And if the first address is not 10.8.x.x then it's likely openVPN client is not configuring default gateway.
komal wrote: The script belongs to VPS NOC actually but lots of sites/people take credit for it.
I'm not taking any credit for the script. I'm suggesting to download the original script as,
wget http://vpsnoc.com/scripts/install-openvpn.sh

I'm only suggesting few changes to the script to make it work with this VPS.