Hot water Issue due to mixing valve

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2018 7:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
104 posts
29 upvotes

Hot water Issue due to mixing valve

Our hot water has been warm at its maximum. When we called Reliance they said we need to call a plumber to change valve.

Any suggestions on the cost of plumber or can one do it them self ?

Thanks in advance
12 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12220 posts
6757 upvotes
Brampton
Scorpionking999 wrote: Our hot water has been warm at its maximum. When we called Reliance they said we need to call a plumber to change valve.

Any suggestions on the cost of plumber or can one do it them self ?

Thanks in advance
Depending on how it's install if it was originally just soldered or threaded on it can be very simple job or a slightly harder job if you know how to solder.

Valve is about $100
It's about an hour of plumber time. So something like ~$250 all in

Not that I recommend it but you could have slipped the reliance guy $50 to bypass the valve for you.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
104 posts
29 upvotes
tebore wrote: Depending on how it's install if it was originally just soldered or threaded on it can be very simple job or a slightly harder job if you know how to solder.

Valve is about $100
It's about an hour of plumber time. So something like ~$250 all in

Not that I recommend it but you could have slipped the reliance guy $50 to bypass the valve for you.
Thanks tebore. Are you plumber if not can you recommend some plumbers ?

Is the $250 fixed or is that negotiable if paid cash ?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12220 posts
6757 upvotes
Brampton
Scorpionking999 wrote: Thanks tebore. Are you plumber if not can you recommend some plumbers ?

Is the $250 fixed or is that negotiable if paid cash ?
Not a plumber I just DIY a lot.
~$250-300? Is just a ball park estimate of what it could cost to replace so you don't get sticker shock. Everything is negociable I guess. You might even run in to a nice guy that does it for less.
Jan 1, 2006
111 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Hi - done this a couple of years ago and it was 200 all in. Extremely easy but I'm not hands on so had a plumber do it and also needed them to have the part during he night.

I would if possible bypass the mixing valve as well. Google the pros and cons of doing so.
Oct 15, 2005
202 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a new home for you or did you just start to have this problem.
If it is a new home, the mixing valve can be adjusted to mix in less cold water. Have you tried that?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33565 posts
7237 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would try adjusting the mixing valve first.

Remove the coloured cap and turn the Centre bolt counter clockwise all the way till it stops

Did you also check your water heater? Make sure you have the temperature set correctly. If it’s on vacation mode, don’t expect hot water.
Feb 26, 2017
208 posts
91 upvotes
The valve might be stuck. Turning it back and forth a few rounds may free it. Tapping it lightly may also free it. Even with a new valve, the problem may come back again due to hard water deposit. Water softener would help keep the problem away a little longer. Check Youtube for some very informative video on how to free it without removing the valve.

After you get the valve to work, for safety if you have kids just get a thermometer and measure the hot water temperature at a faucet. If it is too hot, adjust the valve to have more cold water mixed in.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45335 posts
5880 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Figman2 wrote: The valve might be stuck. Turning it back and forth a few rounds may free it. Tapping it lightly may also free it. Even with a new valve, the problem may come back again due to hard water deposit. Water softener would help keep the problem away a little longer. Check Youtube for some very informative video on how to free it without removing the valve.

After you get the valve to work, for safety if you have kids just get a thermometer and measure the hot water temperature at a faucet. If it is too hot, adjust the valve to have more cold water mixed in.
It's really a huge dilemma whether the mixing valve is useful or not. If you have very hard water, chances are you'll be spending $100 (in parts alone) every 5-8 years changing it.

Is it against code to completely remove it?
May 22, 2007
971 posts
157 upvotes
If your water heater tank is a rental, you can always call the rental company and have a tech to adjust the mixing valve at no charge, and even possibly slip him some $$ to remove it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12220 posts
6757 upvotes
Brampton
Jon Lai wrote: It's really a huge dilemma whether the mixing valve is useful or not. If you have very hard water, chances are you'll be spending $100 (in parts alone) every 5-8 years changing it.

Is it against code to completely remove it?
It's been a while since I've read the plumbing code (and it differs from place to place) but at some point it was against code to remove it. Then it was reworded that as long as you were able to set a max temp at your fixtures you didn't need a central mix valve and I think it was reversed again.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2183 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
This is one of those "Code" issues that I (as in me only) do not worry too much about. By code (OBC) you must have a mixing valve at either the source (HWT) or at each appliance. You do not have to mix the hot water for a dishwasher or washing machine, hence have a mixing valve at every other appliance.

Now, that said, in my own house I only have a mixing valve on the showers and the main bath sink. It is only my wife and I and we do like our hot water, so once we passed inspection on our renovation we removed the other valves. If I were to sell the house then I would re-install the mixing valves at all the other appliances prior to any sell, in order to satisfy "Code". Again, the issue only becomes a concern if you are to sell your house or a liability issue should a visitor scald themselves.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
104 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your input. This is relatively new house less than 10 years. We called reliance they said to contact plumber.

Would appreciate if some of you can can recommend a plumber ?