• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2021 7:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5692 posts
673 upvotes

Hot Water Tank Replacement / Plumber Work in Vancouver

Just had a licensed plumber do the following work to my parent’s house in the Vancouver area. Just want to have an idea of whether this is a fair price, so we know whether to call the same plumber again in the future. We paid $2400 (not including taxes). It was a 1-man job, but did take him 8 hours including a lunch break. Did we overpay?

- Hot water tank (HWT) replacement (owned, not rented), 50 gallon gas-heated tank with 6 year tank warranty. (https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ter-879348).
- HWT is on ground floor with fairly easy access and reasonable space to work.
- Replaced cold water inlet valve just before the hot water tank
- Solder all connections
- Replace main water shutoff in house + install new PRV at water main in house
- Delivery of new tank & Disposal fees of old tank included

If you think we overpaid, any recommendations for a reliable, honest plumber/gas heating technician in Vancouver?

Last edited by Arrow on Aug 4th, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
8 replies
Dec 21, 2020
111 posts
73 upvotes
What kind of water heater....price for them can vary greatly based on type and model. Also replacing the main water shutoff and adding a PRV does cost some (including usually money to the city to turn off the water at the curb). With 8 hours of labour I would say that price is probably pretty reasonable for the work done.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6800 posts
3085 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I hate to say it but it seems high though labour rates may be absurd these days. I've had replaced 3 gas tanks through the pre-Lowes Rona Home Services (2 x 40G tanks at once, and 1 x 50g replacing 40g at once) and don't remember paying so much, but this was also 12+ years ago for less.

I had to replace an electric HWT 3 years ago in my current house which took me all of not even 1 hr to hook up (after the neighbour soldered the unions to the tank for me) I got it into place when HD and Lowe's (who returned my inquiry call 8 days after I had self-installed the tank) wanted closer to $800+ for the installation alone. My house has PEX plumbing which make a lot of this work pretty much DIY (I have PEX tools). FWIW, PRV (assuming you mean pressure regulators) only cost some $100-120 at Andrew Sheret.

Would your new tank be John D Wood brand?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1397 posts
485 upvotes
GTA
Arrow wrote: This is the new tank: https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ter-879348

Installation was on a Sunday of a long weekend if that makes a difference...
Your price is definitely high for a conventional water heater. Lowe's charges $350 for basic installation on conventional water heater in Ontario (not sure about BC). They even have a $50 off promotion until August 4, 2021. The benefit of buying a water heater with installation from Lowe's is that you can add additional 5-year labour warranty for $90 to match the 6-year manufacture's warranty. Since you hired a plumber, he should have sourced a higher quality tank from his supplier, not from Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.ca/-/media/lowes/file ... -lowes.pdf
Images
  • Lowes 50 OFF Water Heater.JPG
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5692 posts
673 upvotes
spyhero wrote: Your price is definitely high for a conventional water heater. Lowe's charges $350 for basic installation on conventional water heater in Ontario (not sure about BC). They even have a $50 off promotion until August 4, 2021. The benefit of buying a water heater with installation from Lowe's is that you can add additional 5-year labour warranty for $90 to match the 6-year manufacture's warranty. Since you hired a plumber, he should have sourced a higher quality tank from his supplier, not from Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.ca/-/media/lowes/file ... -lowes.pdf
Good to know. $350 to install a hot water tank sounds like a great deal (I’m assuming that includes removal and disposal of the old tank).

How does one plan ahead for a scheduled installation from a place like Lowe’s? Don’t most people replace their HWT when their current one breaks/leaks (which often happens at odd hours or the weekend)? In our case, we discovered the leaking HWT on Saturday night of a long weekend.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1865 posts
1470 upvotes
Montréal
Arrow wrote: How does one plan ahead for a scheduled installation from a place like Lowe’s? Don’t most people replace their HWT when their current one breaks/leaks (which often happens at odd hours or the weekend)? In our case, we discovered the leaking HWT on Saturday night of a long weekend.
In QC at least, most insurance coverage (and condo associations) requires you replace a tank after 10-12 years so no, most people here do not replace it when it breaks.

Paid about $1000 for hot water tank (Giant Expert Plus 8) replacement at my mom's who lives on 16th floor of a condo building. Access was easy and they disposed of the old one. Guys were super pro. But this wasn't on a Sunday long weekend where you probably paid 3x.

Took our plumber 2.5 hours however (but you had extra work in there on your main water shutoff, no idea how long that shouls take), was a package deal HWT + installation.
Dec 5, 2009
814 posts
809 upvotes
Honestly, seems high but I am not surprised. Vancouver professional rates are ridiculous.