• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2022 8:26 pm
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto

Hot water tank turning off

Hey everyone

So after cancelling my hot water tank rental last month, my tank has started to turn off randomly. It needs to be restarted by unplugged, turning the gas off, and then restarted by opening the gas and re-plugging.

As I’m not covered by Enercare anymore, any suggestions on if this can be repaired or if this should be replaced?
Images
  • 74757319-948F-4978-89A1-DEC9A5516BA8.jpeg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
It can be easily repaired. 95% chances are that the flame sensor is dirty. Good thing is that the model you have does not have sealed combustion so taking the burner assembly out is comparatively easier.
shlomom wrote: Hey everyone

So after cancelling my hot water tank rental last month, my tank has started to turn off randomly. It needs to be restarted by unplugged, turning the gas off, and then restarted by opening the gas and re-plugging.

As I’m not covered by Enercare anymore, any suggestions on if this can be repaired or if this should be replaced?
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the reply.

I googled and found this link.

Is there a different source or set of steps you suggest I follow?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Yes you have to follow a complete different set of steps. For you easiest way is to
1. Unplug the water heater
2. Try to clean the sensor with burner assembly in. You may have to reach little far by hand to do so.
3. Be very careful as this sensor is located very close to the ignitor which is pretty fragile.

Certified / experienced technicians can and will take the burner assembly out as they can perform the leak test after putting it back.
shlomom wrote: Thanks for the reply.

I googled and found this link.

Is there a different source or set of steps you suggest I follow?
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Yes you have to follow a complete different set of steps. For you easiest way is to
1. Unplug the water heater
2. Try to clean the sensor with burner assembly in. You may have to reach little far by hand to do so. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this myself? Where is the senor located and what should I clean it with?
3. Be very careful as this sensor is located very close to the ignitor which is pretty fragile.

Certified / experienced technicians can and will take the burner assembly out as they can perform the leak test after putting it back.
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Steel wool can be used to clean the sensor.
Thanks, and where is the sensor located on this model?
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Can you help me ID the flame sensor that I should remove and clean from these pictures?
Images
  • 2F81D2E8-DF30-4E24-9566-4FF84A7ECBD2.jpeg
  • 91E22816-39B1-464F-B7A9-D216EB6B8070.jpeg
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: The thin tube with yellow wire is the sensor on the right hand side
Thanks. Took it out and steel wooled it down.

We’ll update if that worked.

Appreciate the help; tank went out 3 times within 5 minutes so something was off today.