• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 12:37 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
952 posts
355 upvotes
Coquitlam

Hotel in London in August for 8 or 9 nights - $300 to $500 per night

My wife are staying about 8 or 9 nights in London in August. This is our first vacation without kids in about 15 years so we are willing to splurge a little bit and spend somewhere between $300 to $500 per night. We are not looking for anything pretentious just a nice comfortable place with decent sized rooms, with great service, a great location, and preferably with a hot tub and a nice well equipped gym. Location wise it doesn't have to be in the middle of the tourist areas because we don't want it to be in an area that is too busy and noisy.

Thanks for any help offered!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
At $500/night, I would try to find a cheap rate at the Savoy, although not sure during the peak summer season.

If noise is an issue, stay away from the W London, more suited towards those who like to party.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2594 posts
1779 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My fave is ME London

Beautiful rooms, great location, rooftop bar has a great view - service is excellent.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1903 posts
1414 upvotes
GTA West
https://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotels/g ... GB-_-LONVA

Look at the Staybridge which is in your price range - see my review below. You would want a "1-BR suite" which has a tub, not a shower like we had in the "Deluxe Suite" that is reviewed. Space is at a premium in London! I used an app on my phone called "City Mapper" to get around on public transit and it worked really well, and is highly recommeded. We had a 1 week rail/bus pass that gave us 2 for 1 deals on the major attractions.

Reviewed 10 May 2015
Comfortable Unit with Kitchenette and Convenient Location, Bring a Cellphone
We had a very pleasant week in room 422, but the room was very compact and the furniture awkward. I missed not being able to soak in a tub after a day of sightseeing, since these units only have small showers. Our room seemed smaller than some of the suites I saw in the other guest photos – it seems that the wall of the hotel angles in to cut off a couple of feet of space at the window? So I would avoid the “22” suites for future stays. When other guests mention “spacious” I assume this is from a British perspective – North American Staybridge studio suites seem to be about twice as big!

Pluses: Friendly and helpful staff, the atmosphere is informal and comfortable. The fittings and furnishings are new, so this Staybridge has a fresh feel as of May 2015. Our suite was very quiet, as it has been at other Staybridge locations we used. Staybridge seems to apply good acoustic engineering in their properties

Location – we could walk to the embankment for buses to Southbank, or the Vauxhall station complex for buses to Westminster, the Victoria tube, or the National Rail trains. We went to Hampton Court and this was an easy, convenient train trip from here. The urban park that you cross to reach the station is nicer than it looks on Google earth, with nice plantings and good lighting. There is an electric bicycle rental station at the edge of the park that would probably be nice for a trip along the embankment. Westminster Palace was an easy stroll for us and we are well past middle age.

We could save money by shopping for prepared foods at Waitrose and Sainsbury’s in the station, to heat and eat at the hotel. Nando’s at the station was OK for a chicken dinner at a reasonable price. Food is $$$$ in London and you will not want to eat every meal in a full-service restaurant. We really liked take-out from the Coriander Indian restaurant that is close by. If you are into pints and pub food, there are busy ones in either direction as you exit the hotel – the Rose and the Black Dog. The Royal Vauxhall Tavern that you pass on the way to the station is a gay cabaret patronized by men with beards.

Breakfast was as expected in a Staybridge – complimentary and adequate if not a wow factor.

The free WIFI with my loyalty card was OK, better than some other hotels but not blazing fast either – you can buy an upgraded service if you need this for a business connection.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Feb 21st, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8514 posts
1296 upvotes
How do you plan on getting around? If by tube, I'd recommend staying somewhere around the Piccadilly line if you have luggage. Makes its easier to get around the system with suitcases.

I stayed once at the Marriott by Earls Court and found the location very nice. It was right on the edge of Zone 1 so it was close enough to the action but far enough to be "cheap" (~$400/night).

My last stay was at the Threadneedles which was beautiful. Semi convenient as I needed access to Liverpool St train station. Lots of high end shopping in the area. Nothing at night though.

Depending on what you want to do I think will change your stay area. Luckily the underground has enough lines that most of your destinations are within ~25mins. I actually walk a lot as I find it's not worth getting back onto the subway.

Get yourself an Oyster pass and off you go. It automatically caps at a daily rate so you can ride as much as you want.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16548 posts
13871 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
If your plans are to use a Hotel as a Base Camp with a stay of several to many nights... then my first choice would be to look to some of the Hotel Chains that are worldwide like Hilton, IHG, Marriott / SPG, Best Western etc. AND JOIN THEIR LOYALTY PROGRAM... BEFORE YOU BOOK

All these major Hotel brands we know here in NA have a prominent face in Europe (especially in the UK). So things will be closer to what you are used to here at home (bigger rooms vs tiny accommodations).

And all brands offer a wide selection of Luxury - Premium - Mid Range - Economy options.
Example:
HILTON = Hilton - DoubleTree - Embassy Suites - Hilton Garden Inn - Hampton Inn - Homewood Suites etc
IHG = Intercontinental - Indigo - Crowne Plaza - Holiday Inn - Staybridge Suites etc

Check websites for the complete line up in each chain

And by being a LOYALTY MEMBER you’ll get the immediate perks of better pricing (book direct on their website)... and besides earning VALUABLE LOYALTY POINTS you’ll also sometimes run into the automatic benefit of stay X consecutive nights get the Yth Night Free. Plus often other in house perks like Room Upgrades, Free Shuttles, Free Internet, Complimentary Breakfast, Snacks, Drinks, Daily Newspapers, etc

Loyalty Points now have TONS of flexibility... use for free nights, money off, car rentals, dining out etc

So even if you don’t use the points you earn on your trip to the UK... you certainly will after get back to Canada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8514 posts
1296 upvotes
^Qft.

I stick with Marriott right now and the loyalty program has been good to me. Free breakfast for me and my family pretty much wherever we go. Guaranteed late check out comes in handy for the final day in a city. I try to book hotels where I know I have a solid chance at getting an upgrade.

I got plenty of free beers one trip in London at the Marriott lounge. The other one I got bumped up to a nice suite. When I travel with family we book a 1bdrm and usually get bumped up to a 2 or 3 bdrm unit which is awesome to split up the kids.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2209 posts
405 upvotes
Marriot Kensington?

Marriot County Hall is probably your best bet between location and services offered.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1903 posts
1414 upvotes
GTA West
Stock R wrote: How do you plan on getting around? If by tube, I'd recommend staying somewhere around the Piccadilly line if you have luggage. Makes its easier to get around the system with suitcases.

Get yourself an Oyster pass and off you go. It automatically caps at a daily rate so you can ride as much as you want.
I personally would not want to drag a checked bag around on the tube and up and down the platforms. I think you really have to plan this, since not every station has an elevator. Although that is from a senior perspective :). Instead, we made advance bookings with a limo service called Blackberry Cars that sent out uniformed drivers in large new Mercedes. We paid 36 pounds from Heathrow to Vauxhall 3 years ago.

Oyster cards are great but the TravelCard seems to be a bit cheaper if you need more than 7 days. Also, if you get the TravelCard at a National Rail (not tube) station you can get 2 for 1 admissions prices at the major attractions - great for a first time visitor.

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

It took us only a few minutes to get our Travelcards at Vauxhall, although we had to make ID photos at a kiosk in the station. If you have the spares from your passport application you can save a couple of quid here. They don't seem too fussy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
Another way to get to central London from Heathrow is the Heathrow Connect, which takes about 25 minutes to Paddington station for about £10. This is faster than the Piccadilly line (at least an hour) and cheaper than Heathrow Express (about £20 depending on when you buy it).

From May 2018, Heathrow Connect will be transferred over to TfL and will be part of the new Elizabeth line.

[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
952 posts
355 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions so far! We just booked our flights yesterday to London for early August.

I am leaning towards the Marriot County Hall right now because of the amenities, slightly larger rooms, well equipped gym, and pricing but am open to more suggestions! Also thanks for the tip, I will sign up for any applicable rewards program before I book the room.