• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2021 2:44 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
219 posts
30 upvotes
EAST YORK

Hotel room for less than $80 in Toronto/Scarborough for few hrs

My friend has flight from Toronto Airport and he is coming from Montreal and he just want to stay few hours (5-6 hrs) in the hotel/motel of Toronto/Scarborough region area (OR near by scarborough) for Freshen Up.
He is looking $40-70 range hotel/motel but he has not found. Any one has idea? If not found then he will have to pay over $100 for few hrs.
18 replies
Mar 3, 2009
993 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
shakilhyd wrote: My friend has flight from Toronto Airport and he is coming from Montreal and he just want to stay few hours (5-6 hrs) in the hotel/motel of Toronto/Scarborough region area (OR near by scarborough) for Freshen Up.
He is looking $40-70 range hotel/motel but he has not found. Any one has idea? If not found then he will have to pay over $100 for few hrs.
So most, um, regular hotels charge by the night. So you cannot get a rate for a few hours. I'm sure there are hotels that you can find that bill by the hour but you probably don't want to use them.

I know some Marriott properties have been doing a day rate, primarily focused on people working from home that want a change of scenery. Not sure if any of them are close to YYZ.

I also should say it's hard to find a decent hotel in Toronto (and probably most places) for under $100 a night.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1407 posts
1054 upvotes
Etobicoke
Scarborough is not near the airport.....may take 2-3 hours to get there and back if traffic is bad. I would look near the airport
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5300 posts
4230 upvotes
Would make more sense to use the shower facilities at Pearson...why does he need to "freshen up" after a 60min flight from Montreal? And why Scarborough when it's so out of the way?

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/slee ... irport.htm
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/while ... r-intl-e77
Last edited by hierophant on Oct 24th, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6240 posts
3118 upvotes
Toronto
Try Hotwire - there are usually hotels in that price range around the airport. Priceline too. You don't really care what the exact hotel is, so this is a good fit.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19294 posts
16956 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
This is not a truly unusual request
(Except for the Scarborough bit … that’s weird.)

Esp in these uncertain times where flights are being cancelled left, right and centre

I could see doing this as a good alternative to sitting around the airport for hours on end say before a long distance / overnight international flight to Europe or Asia.

After having been bumped to fly out of Montreal on say an early afternoon flight … vs late afternoon

Anyhow to answer the OPs question

There are websites for this …
Day Use.com = https://ca.dayuse.com/
Hotels By Day = https://www.hotelsbyday.com/en

Or, if the traveller is a Member of any Hotel Loyalty Programs, you can usually find options when logged into those websites
Like Marriotts (Bonvoy Program)
As suggested by @dr_torch
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 24th, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mar 3, 2009
993 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Manatus wrote: Try Hotwire - there are usually hotels in that price range around the airport. Priceline too. You don't really care what the exact hotel is, so this is a good fit.
You have found hotels in the $40 - $70 rate close to YYZ? If you did you have done very well.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19294 posts
16956 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
dr_torch wrote: You have found hotels in the $40 - $70 rate close to YYZ? If you did you have done very well.
Agreed

Although day rates are usually considerably cheaper than night rates in many locations

As the room is only used for a few hours.

NOTE - I have not actually done any YYZ research lately tho
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6240 posts
3118 upvotes
Toronto
dr_torch wrote: You have found hotels in the $40 - $70 rate close to YYZ? If you did you have done very well.
Well, closer to the $70 end of the scale, and they're definitely not 4*, but there are some out there.

I'm guessing that OP is driving because otherwise the Scarborough area really makes no sense (other than that there are a bunch of sketchy motels in Scarborough).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19294 posts
16956 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Manatus wrote: Well, closer to the $70 end of the scale, and they're definitely not 4*, but there are some out there.

I'm guessing that OP is driving because otherwise the Scarborough area really makes no sense (other than that there are a bunch of sketchy motels in Scarborough).
Good catch on the driving possibility (or train)

We too have been known to stay in the east end of the GTA overnight … and then take the train(s) into the city and onto the Airport for a flight out of country from YYZ
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5775 posts
4850 upvotes
shakilhyd wrote: My friend has flight from Toronto Airport and he is coming from Montreal and he just want to stay few hours (5-6 hrs) in the hotel/motel of Toronto/Scarborough region area (OR near by scarborough) for Freshen Up.
lounge? most hotels have day rates, but you have to call and ask for them and often they're not that much cheaper than staying a night. only a few hours, i would just do lounge at airport or the shearton attached to the airport
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1795 posts
2060 upvotes
Look into a day pass at one of the lounges at the airport. Some may have showers though I have only seen them on international routes. So if lucky, shower eat, nap without getting onto 401.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9235 posts
2250 upvotes
Vancouver
You can buy your way into air Canada lounge for $55 and the domestic lounge is pretty nice and has showers.

Good life fitness has a location in terminal 1. They at least used to sell day passes and even rent out shoes and clothes. Not sure how that’s changed with COVID.

There is an LA fitness location in Scarborough and near airport. Not sure if they sell day passes but worth a call.

A lot of airports have capsule hotels for layovers and charge per hour. It would be nice if Pearson had that
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4980 posts
1592 upvotes
Mississauga
Forget lounge access as there is a chance the showers are not open, especially at YYZ.

Cheapest would be motel by the hour or buying a day pass at the gym. You can also try truck stop showers (flying J) which are usually close to the highway.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14766 posts
9507 upvotes
Markham
GangStarr wrote: You can buy your way into air Canada lounge for $55 and the domestic lounge is pretty nice and has showers.

Good life fitness has a location in terminal 1. They at least used to sell day passes and even rent out shoes and clothes. Not sure how that’s changed with COVID.

There is an LA fitness location in Scarborough and near airport. Not sure if they sell day passes but worth a call.

A lot of airports have capsule hotels for layovers and charge per hour. It would be nice if Pearson had that
Pretty much all Fitness clubs will have free day trial offers, no need to pay for day pass.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14766 posts
9507 upvotes
Markham
Or OP's friend can go to GoPlace in Markham.

https://goplace.com/about-us/

Bath, sauna, sleep in there all for $59.95/day

BTW this is probably a great place to go if you kicked out of the house/home.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 5, 2007
262 posts
226 upvotes
many motels offer 4-hour rentals. Some even have mirrors on the ceiling above the bed, and the bed can vibrate and might even be in a shape of a heart.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9235 posts
2250 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: Pretty much all Fitness clubs will have free day trial offers, no need to pay for day pass.
That free workout comes with the cost of some sales guy likely hounding you trying to sell membership and training. Paying for a day pass may be worth it to some to keep things ethical and avoid annoying gym sales peope.

However it’s rfd so yeah good you mentioned it.
Autocorrect sucks