Travel

Hotel in Vancouver

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2021 2:15 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 23, 2007
85 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa

Hotel in Vancouver

Hi,

I've been to Vancouver a couple of times and I am planning to go again late September-beginning of October. I've been to a couple of place so far, including ParkInn on Broadway, BestWestern on Main St, City Centre Motor Hotel (terrible!) on Main St, Metropolitan on Howe St. My go-to place in Van is usually the Sheraton Wall Centre because it's a decent hotel, the location is good and the price is not too expensive. Although, they caught me earlier this summer with their $54/night hotel parking which I found unreasonable.

I am looking for a place to stay and won't have a car this time. Any recommendation on a decent place to stay that won't break the bank?

Thank you.
24 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2005
879 posts
308 upvotes
Richmond
Which area will you be at most of the time? You can take a look at River Rock Casino. It's a train away to/from the airport and to/from downtown.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6353 upvotes
arsenic wrote: Hi,

I've been to Vancouver a couple of times and I am planning to go again late September-beginning of October. I've been to a couple of place so far, including ParkInn on Broadway, BestWestern on Main St, City Centre Motor Hotel (terrible!) on Main St, Metropolitan on Howe St. My go-to place in Van is usually the Sheraton Wall Centre because it's a decent hotel, the location is good and the price is not too expensive. Although, they caught me earlier this summer with their $54/night hotel parking which I found unreasonable.

I am looking for a place to stay and won't have a car this time. Any recommendation on a decent place to stay that won't break the bank?

Thank you.
Seems like you prefer the cheaper places

Sutton place is pretty cheap usually for it's location. Fairmont has pretty good rates/promo (or did) with free parking and $25/daily food credit. My room was around$175/nt when I booked Fairmont Vancouver for Sept couple months ago

I would prefer Delta on Hastings or Residence Inn due to good condition of hotel/rooms, larger size and amenities like a fridge and stove/microwave so you can reheat delivery/takeout especially during covid19 times if you can't/don't want to dine in
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 14, 2006
743 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
stayed at the Coast Hotel two weeks back - no concerns for the price.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
My friend recently stayed at Sandman hotel Georgia and Beatty. He enjoyed his stay indoor pool open.

My friend also stayed at JW Marriott snd didn’t enjoy his stay. Mold in room and not up to marriot standards. Funny I visited a friends room pre covid and was impressed.

My buddy stayed at westin Bayshore. Decent little outdoor pool. He was in the old tower and found rooms tired and poorly insulated windows so you could hear pigeons squawk at 4am

Hope that helps

Also careful with some of the 3* hotels. Some of them are fully converted to rooms for the homeless camp people who were recently evicted from a park. Some part half and half.

Granville st south of Nelson til the Granville bridge is very dumpy full of crackheads and filthy streets. Sad really

Gas town has also gotten a lot worse after COVID.

Also Broadway is in rough shape around Cambie / main and further east due to subway/sky train expansion work. Not pedestrian friendly
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2010
1661 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
Just stick to the wall center or like someone else mentioned the Sutton which is a block down from there. Street parking is also free from 10pm to 9am in case you want to avoid the hotel parking fees.
Member
Mar 16, 2006
394 posts
453 upvotes
Vancouver
arsenic wrote: Main St, City Centre Motor Hotel (terrible!) on Main St,
lol, ya that one is pretty sketchy. I think anything would be a upgrade.

Maybe check the Pinnacle Vancouver. They are always sending emails with gift card deals.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
sandy_beach wrote: Just stick to the wall center or like someone else mentioned the Sutton which is a block down from there. Street parking is also free from 10pm to 9am in case you want to avoid the hotel parking fees.
Why change from Sheraton Wall Centre if you liked it.... They can't stick you with parking again if you got no car.

BTW EVO car share is the way to go for those with no car. No parking fees as well!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1685 posts
2132 upvotes
BC
Lots of options around the Sheraton Wall Centre price point:

Pinnacle Hotel Waterfront (used to called Renaissance Hotel) - (older but clean)
Sutton Place (mentioned above)
Rosedale on Robson (older but clean)
Coast on Coal Harbour (newer, on the water)
Pan Pacific at Canada Place (on the water)
Georgian Court (close to BC Place Stadium and Rogers Arena - can be noisy on Game Days)
Listel Hotel (small boutique hotel - center of Downtown)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5117 posts
2961 upvotes
The Loden is nice, yet pricey. The Evo carshare system worked great for me every time I visited so I wouldn't bother with a rental if you're flexible.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
MyNameWasTaken wrote: The Loden is nice, yet pricey. The Evo carshare system worked great for me every time I visited so I wouldn't bother with a rental if you're flexible.
EVO is also way cheaper for full rentals right now and you don't need to book it in advance, just keep the car and do not end your trip. $87/day includes gas, all of your parking (in "home" zone), and insurance.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote: EVO is also way cheaper for full rentals right now and you don't need to book it in advance, just keep the car and do not end your trip. $87/day includes gas, all of your parking (in "home" zone), and insurance.
Added FYI for EVO newbies. If there is not a car nearby, just sit and wait and watch your phone - you may need to reserve it the second you see it as you're probably not the only person in an area waiting for a car to show up. If you're at a restaurant, towards the end of a meal, check the app to see if there are cars closeby. Once reserved, you have 30 minutes to start the trip.

With rental cars being rented out at highway robbery rates, EVO at $87/day including parking, gas and insurance is a "steal" [note in this case you're doing the robbery].
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Aug 31, 2010
679 posts
830 upvotes
ON
If you want to sign up for EVO, always look for promo codes, usually it waives the new membership fee ($35) and gives a few free mins. Currently the best one is HELLOVIC30: "To celebrate our arrival to Victoria, we’re giving you free Membership and 30 free driving minutes*. The limited-time offer is available only until December 31, 2021 so make sure you enter promo code HELLOVIC30 when you sign up to apply the offer. "

For those who are wondering, the exact total charge for a full day of EVO is $89.99 + $1 (Access fee) + tax = $101.91.

Another tip is BEFORE unlocking a car, you should review the existing damages (in app) and add any unreported new damages. You can do so after you reserve a car and click on the tool icon on the top right corner. This process might take some time and if you unlock the car first, then you are paying for the time you report damages. Also you can avoid booking a car with serious problems by looking at existing damages in app first (I had a car where the air bag was malfunctioning and it was previously reported but not fixed yet) - if you unlocked a car and decide not to take it due to safety issues, you have to call in to refund the access fee and trip charge (for all mins between you unlocked the car and ended the trip).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 19, 2006
10926 posts
5858 upvotes
Toronto
anyone stayed at the atrium on hastings before ? is it because rarely one wants to stay there cuz it is close to the bad area? Upside-down Facethe price is too too good to be true.. on expedia anyway lolFace With Stuck-out Tongue
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Pochacco wrote: anyone stayed at the atrium on hastings before ? is it because rarely one wants to stay there cuz it is close to the bad area? Upside-down Facethe price is too too good to be true.. on expedia anyway lolFace With Stuck-out Tongue
Just looking at the map, it is a little bit "out there" just a stone throw from the PNE.

I just checked and don't see any EVO cars near there so you might find it hard to find a car share close by. That Hotel is the red blob.

Screenshot_20210924-165853~2.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
Pochacco wrote: anyone stayed at the atrium on hastings before ? is it because rarely one wants to stay there cuz it is close to the bad area? Upside-down Facethe price is too too good to be true.. on expedia anyway lolFace With Stuck-out Tongue
That’s well outside the famous downtown east side. Note that while main and Hastings is the hub of Vancouver aweful heroin and other drugs problems. It’s also home to a lot of cool breweries art galleries and stuff going on (might want to get on the Vancouver faceboook groups to find out about pop up art and other discrete but legal parties ) for what it’s worth I see rave style parties asking for vax ports.

I’m not familiar with that area or hotel but it is a bit far out and if it’s a really good deal I’d question who might else stay there

While I agree EVO is a good deal. Looks like a week of airport rental cars are $350-$550 which makes evo break even somewhat comparable. This free parking has limits to city of Vancouver. Understand what it means as if your evo is towed you’re looking at a $300+ mistake likewise with a traditional rental of course but evo is not carte blanche

I’d say if using evo, the 24 hour rate is good but if you can really maximize the 6 hours (before break even for 24 hours) and ditch the car after 4 hours might be able to save more. evo cannot enter usa (though less of an issue these days)

For prolonged periods a regular rentla may be better and more you need to sign up for evo in advance of your trip. This is not the uber of car rentals. At least not until your a member.

Downtown Vancouver is small and a car is not at all a plus.
Last edited by GangStarr on Sep 26th, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 19, 2006
10926 posts
5858 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: That’s well outside the famous downtown east side. Note that while main and Hastings is the hub of Vancouver aweful heroin and other drugs problems. It’s also home to a lot of cool breweries art galleries and stuff going on (might want to get on the Vancouver faceboook groups to find out about pop up art and other discrete but legal parties ) for what it’s worth I see rave style parties asking for vax ports.

I’m not familiar with that area or hotel but it is a bit far out and if it’s a really good deal I’d question who might else stay there


Downtown Vancouver is small and a car is not at all a plus.
yeah, the reviews are mixed online so was wondering. any rfders stayed there .. making me nervous lol

great tips about the Evo car .. i mostly need it to get to joffre lake and whistler. i guess I will see Grimacing Face
Member
Feb 27, 2011
221 posts
219 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: That’s well outside the famous downtown east side. Note that while main and Hastings is the hub of Vancouver aweful heroin and other drugs problems. It’s also home to a lot of cool breweries art galleries and stuff going on (might want to get on the Vancouver faceboook groups to find out about pop up art and other discrete but legal parties ) for what it’s worth I see rave style parties asking for vax ports.

I’m not familiar with that area or hotel but it is a bit far out and if it’s a really good deal I’d question who might else stay there
I drove through that neighbourhood for the first time in a while recently, and it seemed a lot more bustling that I remember. I've probably just been stuck in my COVID-era bubble for too long, but I'd definitely spend an afternoon wandering that stretch of E Hastings. Said hotel (Atrium) is also right in front of the R5 (rapid bus) stop, so easy access to downtown without needing a car.

Top