• Sep 9th, 2020 6:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
63 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON

House backing onto a highway

I am buying a house backing onto 403 (and power lines). Its still around 400 meters away but I could hear the traffic noise in the backyard. The price seems pretty good to me though. What do you guys think about the decision? Could it impact resale significantly? The address is 4388-romfield-crescent for your reference.
8 replies
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
Anything that you think is an issue a potential buyer down the road may think is an issue too.
It looks to be set back from the highway quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1884 posts
417 upvotes
Like you said the price is pretty good. You are getting a good price for that and in future when you sell, you will also sell at some discounted price. So it all balances out in the end.
Jan 14, 2008
410 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
Just by googling the address it Seems to be a good price compared to others in the area.

I do see they have tried to sell it last year and relisted it couple times in the past few months, so something, possibly the highway in the back, doesn't seem to be desirable to many buyers... so i say you should bargain hard on this one.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44550 posts
5115 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think power lines deter buyers more than the highway, IMO.

Our house is 200m behind the highway and yes, you do hear it, but because it's constant, it just becomes white noise. I stopped noticing it after I moved in. The beauty is that we face west, and the 200m is all open field, so we get great sunsets every night.

Based on sales data, the houses on my street are fetching no less, if not more than the others in the neighborhood. I think the open field really helps.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5750 posts
5908 upvotes
Toronto
Huge boulevard areas is a downside as well... Only 2 usable parking spaces.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2391 posts
1327 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Funny how 4388 Romfield Circuit in Thornhill also has a highway (407) in its backyard.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7784 posts
2523 upvotes
Maple
aspiretobegreat wrote: Are there pollution concerns living so close to a highway?
There is always a concern, lots cars=lots fumes=pollution