• Feb 27th, 2020 3:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3384 posts
610 upvotes

House number on a new build in Richmond Hill

Hi,

Are home builders required to provide (mount or otherwise) house numbers for a new build low rise in Richmond Hill?

My builder has not provided a house number but at least one of the other builders in my area has. It is not in my contract and I can't find it in building code (maybe because it's cosmetic?). Not sure if its part of municipal code.

It seems that it could be really tacky for everyone to put up random types of house numbers. I'll have to sort something out soon because I don't know how much longer I can go with telling people that I am at Block ___ Lot ___ !

Thanks!
19 replies
Jan 2, 2019
118 posts
131 upvotes
House number should be their for occupancy inspection, I guess the inspector missed it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26034 posts
11111 upvotes
Toronto
builder would provide the house number. If you speak to the site super, then he can advise you
Mar 22, 2017
869 posts
787 upvotes
West GTA
The upside if this becomes an issue is that you can put up house numbers yourself in minimal time - they're cheap to buy and easy to install (usually just drill according to a template, caulk the holes, then push the numbers in).
Nov 30, 2011
998 posts
382 upvotes
GTA
On our house, there was a smallish number on the Block ___ Lot ___ sign.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6512 upvotes
GTA, ON
They will eventually put one up. Have you already got occupancy and moved in?
Has the city (Richmond Hill) officially taken over the street yet?
Go speak to the site super @ the construction office.

For now, just write your street number on a big piece of cardboard and place it in the window. That's what I did.
Last edited by chimaican on Feb 12th, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 20, 2012
636 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe they haven't get it yet. You should have a temporary plate with your Lot # and street name and house #.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5387 posts
3160 upvotes
They will put it on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3384 posts
610 upvotes
The city hasn't taken over the street yet. I have contacted the builder and they indicated that they weren't planning on putting it on.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6512 upvotes
GTA, ON
poorwingman wrote: The city hasn't taken over the street yet. I have contacted the builder and they indicated that they weren't planning on putting it on.
Cheap builder. So they don't want to attach your civic address?

Which builder is this?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3384 posts
610 upvotes
They don't want to attach the civic address.

I called the city and they said that it is not required for an occupancy permit, the home owner is responsible for it and could be fined if it isn't done because it is necessary for emergency services.

Prefer not to name the builder.

Any tips on how to install a house number?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7606 posts
8271 upvotes
Vancouver
poorwingman wrote: Any tips on how to install a house number?
So many ways you can do it, so many surfaces, so many types of house numbers...impossible to answer that question without knowing more details. I know someone who had a custom LED light box made with glass-etched numbers that look like they glow in the dark. That one would be installed like any other lamp.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4248 posts
832 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: It seems that it could be really tacky for everyone to put up random types of house numbers.
I guess new subdivisions aren't uniform enough for your taste?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43543 posts
4118 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Toukolou wrote: I guess new subdivisions aren't uniform enough for your taste?
Yeah, I'm not sure what's tacky about it either.

OP, have you been to more established neighbourhoods? Everyone's number is different.
Artisan woodworker crafting cutting boards, custom wood furniture, tables, home decor, and more!
Instagram @studiocanopy

***For Sale*** Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Freud 10" 80T Ultimate Cut Off Blade | Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3384 posts
610 upvotes
There’s arguments both ways for it.

I’m not in a 50’ wide house.

I’m in a townhouse so we are all about 20’ away from each other and I think in some cases the front steps/doors are side by side. I think when it’s more dense or when it’s side by side, there’s an argument for uniformity. In condos, the board doesn’t let people put up their own unit numbers either.