Home & Garden

House right beside a gas station... Bad?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2014 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 18, 2008
750 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto

House right beside a gas station... Bad?

Just out of curiously, is it really bad? You are probably breathing in bad fume from the gas? Any study on this?
28 replies
May 28, 2012
11416 posts
3715 upvotes
Saskatoon
I would be more concerned with the amount of car traffic in the immediate area (which leads to increased noise, unwanted pedestrians, etc).
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1196 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Also think of the future if you buy it and want to sell. How marketable will it be next to a gas station? Most potential buyers will think like Mars2012 - traffic, noise, people traffic etc. Also remember tanker trucks will pull in occasionally to refill the tanks.
Doug Boswell
intelliMortgage Inc. Brokerage #12326
FSRA #MO09002332
Oct 5, 2014
181 posts
26 upvotes
Desert Blume, AB
The real downside is if the gas station ever leaks gas, it creates a real problem for the surrounding area. You'll find that land across the street or next to a gas station is cheap, for this reason and all the reasons above. Where I live, gas stations are usually surrounded by commercial building or low rentals.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13234 posts
10118 upvotes
GTA, ON
If you like the smell of petrol, CO fumes, and noise at all hours of the day GO FOR IT.

Personally I would recommend against it. Other than the above and all the health concerns that go with it, resale will suck when it comes to sell.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22082 upvotes
Center of Universe
Traffic = noise...walk away.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1662 upvotes
Traffic alone would be a huge turn off. Just like houses close to a drive-thru.

Or could catch on fire. Watch Zoolander.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jan 11, 2008
637 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Aside from fumes and odour, I'd say potential leakage of the underground storage tanks is another big concern.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5687 posts
1442 upvotes
depends where and if it's priced accordingly

would i live next door to a gas station in a cookie cutter home in the suburban sticks for no discount? no
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17025 posts
7360 upvotes
If I walk by a gas station that is having their tanks filled up I can smell the fumes, so I think it is safe to say you could smell them from your backyard. For that alone, even if you are someone who does not believe it is a health concern, I think that is enough to put a halt on purchasing it unless there is some sort of steep discount because it will impact you.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
samguan wrote: Just out of curiously, is it really bad? You are probably breathing in bad fume from the gas? Any study on this?
two words
Sunrise Propane
The explosions occurred at the Sunrise Propane Industrial Gases propane facility, located near Keele Street and Wilson Avenue around 03:50 ET. The blasts caused thousands of people to be evacuated from their homes and cost C$1.8 million to clean up, half of which was paid by the province of Ontario. An employee of Sunrise died in the initial explosions and a firefighter died of cardiac arrest the next day while at the scene.
:eek:
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30076 posts
16088 upvotes
Toronto
+ probably paying ultra high house premium as well.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10461 posts
2042 upvotes
Nowhere
Yes, it is bad. Besides the traffic, noise, bright lights, there is the health risk. Gas fumes are an issue. Benzene, which is a known carcinogen, is found in gas fumes and found in higher concentrations around gas stations. Gas station attendants have been known to develop leukemia due to exposure to benzene.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5687 posts
1442 upvotes
veryboredguy wrote: thats propane not gas, unless the gas station has a propane fllilng station too
that wasn't even a propane station

it was a huge storage centre.

that's like saying living near a grocery store is the same as living next door to a farm.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6152 posts
3337 upvotes
Thornhill
The issues are soil contamination; the zoning of the property in question - i.e is it strictly residential or has it been given non-conforming status which is a redflag; obtaining a reasonable mortgage and insurance.

Prudent buyers will require at least a soil contamination test for petroleum leaks run off from a car wash and traffic density pattern for a property close to a gas station.

As a result residential such properties experience lower values.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
935 upvotes
Newmarket
I would avoid anything right next to anything industrial/commercial, especially anything with potential environmental risks.