What on ure thoughts on this??
How would it affect living and resale
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2043 posts
912 upvotes
Elgin, ON
If you are home during school hours, you will hear a lot of screaming during break / recess times. Especially noticeable if you have your windows open.
If there is a walkway / exit from the school yard onto your street, there will be numerous vehicles parked in front of your house during pickup hours.
Balls / play things / garbage will occasionally make their way into your backyard.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1969 posts
3093 upvotes
Stouffville ON
It depends on the exact setting.
If the school is far from your property and there is a good separation by a soccer field or something IMO it's great especially for parents with children attending the school (we lived in this setting and loved the convenience and having no neighbours behind).

On the other hand if you are close to increased traffic, right by the building and so on it could affect it negatively.

Some people will avoid it, others especially with kids will like it.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
[OP]
May 27, 2013
625 posts
59 upvotes
There's a soccer field separating the house and the school....
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4366 posts
2966 upvotes
Ottawa
wantboost1 wrote: There's a soccer field separating the house and the school....
It’s a plus then. Resale wise. If a good school.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9218 upvotes
The NORTH
Is this a primary school or a secondary school?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3793 upvotes
Thornhill
If you have a school in your backyard I suggest you bill the muniicpality a whole bunch of rent. =)

It affects resale the same way it would affect you as a buyer....Some buyer's care, some don't, some pay a premium for a vast expanse of greenery behind them, some demand a discount for an unsightly building: noise from kids at play/gym" and the kids who will wonder too close to or onto their property.

Really the one measure to investigate is the break-in rate for the houses bordering the school property.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
674 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Kids don't walk to school anymore so twice a day you will have huge traffic jams with parents picking up their little darlings. Expect lots of honking, accidents and near misses. My parents are one street over from a school. It was great when we attended because we'd climb the back fence and be in the classroom in under a minute. In later years, we'd have to avoid going anywhere in the car near the start and ending of the school day, getting out onto the street was a challenge so we'd just avoid those times.

You couldn't pay me.
[OP]
May 27, 2013
625 posts
59 upvotes
Backyard has an elementary school . At the far right is the high school
Doesn't look like will have all the school traffic on the actual street thr house fronts on !?!
njyhl
May 27, 2007
16056 posts
4526 upvotes
Toronto
Is that a basketball court? Aside from the day time problems, I would be more worried about kids hanging out into the night playing ball / smoking weed during the summer.

There will be cars that u-turn on your street during drop off / pick up since kids dont need to cross the street. Especially with that catwalk in the crescent that feed into both schools with your street being the most direct way out.

Drive there in the evening when its nice out and take a look at the level of traffic/noise.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
May 27, 2013
625 posts
59 upvotes
Ya looks like a basketball crt. I ll go by and see if they r small nets since it's a elementary. Where do u see a catwalk
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
3131 posts
3833 upvotes
wantboost1 wrote: Ya looks like a basketball crt. I ll go by and see if they r small nets since it's a elementary. Where do u see a catwalk
I thought maybe in the corner, SE of the listing. Good place for parents to pull up, drop kids to cut thru path. Two schools worth of kids.

For me, I would still like the fact no neighbors behind. But traffic, if that is a path, could be issue for some.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
2216 posts
2596 upvotes
In-laws have a similar situation right now. House. Alleyway. Soccer field for an elementary school directly behind the alleyway.
Cons: Yes, it can be a bit loud during recess/lunch/after school, or when groups use it to play soccer or hang out. Drop off pick up traffic is usually at the front of the school but sometimes u see the odd car in the alley.

Pros: I cannot emphasize enough how awesome it feels to look out from their bedroom window and see a nice big manicured green field instead of your neighbours shitty backyard and run down house. They have kids so it is extremely convenient to have a field/courts literally in your backyard. Forget playing in the driveway lol.

If you have kids or a dog, I think it’s wonderful situation to be in.
Sep 10, 2010
398 posts
100 upvotes
St Catharines
I would do a stakeout in the evening-night to check out the type of activity you could expect in a public space backing on your backyard. The lack of control over your environment would cause me concern .
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6906 posts
6686 upvotes
My backyard isn't but my neighbour's 2 doors down and everyone past them back on to school yard/baseball diamond. When school is in I can hear screaming and playing during recess but I like it...not obnoxious at all. No problems with noise or kids at night. Both car and pedestrian traffic is heavy when school starts and ends but not on my street...I avoid going to that intersection during those times but it really isn't that bad.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1987 posts
1106 upvotes
might suck a bit on most weekdays when kids are in school but on weekends / summer (when you realistically spend most of your time in your backyard) I would imagine it will be fairly quiet and very nice to have an open backyard with no neighbour. So think about when you are likely to be using your backyard too.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48243 posts
9134 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GTA12345 wrote: I thought maybe in the corner, SE of the listing. Good place for parents to pull up, drop kids to cut thru path. Two schools worth of kids.

For me, I would still like the fact no neighbors behind. But traffic, if that is a path, could be issue for some.
That area is so out of the way, I don't see lazy parents doing it. I think OP's listing is far enough from the traffic for it to be a concern, I'd be more concerned about noise if that is important.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3509 posts
6818 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Find out if there are lights for the basketball court, if no lights you should be good to go.

I'd personally take that over neighbours in the back, biggest consideration is if the school is in a good neighbourhood or more urban. Looks like you are good to go.
RE Broker
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
19427 posts
14399 upvotes
Markham
hopium wrote: I would do a stakeout in the evening-night to check out the type of activity you could expect in a public space backing on your backyard. The lack of control over your environment would cause me concern .
Problem with stakeout right now is school is out...so you're only seeing one side of "normal" evening activity.

Perhaps do a walk around that street on the weekend daytime and if you see ppl out front of their property, have a talk with them and ask them what the school is like, what it's like to live backing onto the school, what's it like at night.

FYI backing onto any sort of park/school etc is security issue as thieves can jump your fence and scope/break in and they have a getaway thru the school. You might be able to ask local police station about break and enters on the street historically.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)