• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 10:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 7, 2019
82 posts
31 upvotes

House showing in the time of corovirus

I am a tenant and I am renting. My place has been listed and I received a message about a house showing.
I don't feel comfortable having people walking around my home these days that we have a virus crisis.
What do you suggest I should do?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5374 posts
3275 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen tenants basically restrict showings to only couple hours in a day, and only on certain days of the week.

I would speak to the agent to arrange some kind of availability schedule.

I would just deny showings if not comfortable.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1131 posts
1541 upvotes
Stouffville ON
I wouldn’t want to have anyone in my house either so I understand how you feel.
You can just deny entry given the circumstances (not a legal advice)
Check with the management or condo board if they even permit in person showing at this time, many don’t.
The seller, the agent can use virtual technology to sell the condo, and you could assist with this.
They can opt for virtual staging, virtual open house. You could make an arrangement with the seller that you can video all the details of the property including working taps etc and send it to them.
You could allow one person such as the listing agent come in for an hour or so and do all the digital recordings they need.
If you allow anyone you can request a disclaimer that they don’t show any symptoms, have not been in touch with anyone who has had symptoms, not been in a high risk environment such as hospital etc.
If you allow someone in, require them wearing masks and gloves, make sure they don’t touch anything. Put few signs here and there reminding them not too touch anything.
Have the property disinfected before and after, leave lights on, doors open so they don’t have to touch the door handles etc.
Since it is a condo and not a house it is much easier for the buyer to buy the place without even being there in comparison to a house, the space is small, layout available etc.
Read this link from gov of Ontario, bottom section applies to the current situation.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/renting-cha ... g-covid-19
The bottom line is you and the landlord can work together, the most important right now is keep everyone safe and healthy, there is technology to help with the process.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Jan 14, 2008
469 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
i have a property currently on the market with tenants in there. (in Mississauga SQ1 area, ontario

to minimize unnecessary showings and tire-kickers, as an owner, i have ensured there are adequate photos and a video walk through, as well as a layout/floorplan of the place.

there are certainly less showings this time

also i was going to do some light renos in the unit but was barred from doing so by the condo-corp, as an fyi for those thinking of doing renos (check with your condo management)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8781 posts
2515 upvotes
Toronto
Jyelong wrote: I am a tenant and I am renting. My place has been listed and I received a message about a house showing.
I don't feel comfortable having people walking around my home these days that we have a virus crisis.
What do you suggest I should do?
I have a listing with tenants in the property.

As per the tenants request, we are not doing showings due to the coronavirus, just virtual showings.

Let the landlord/owner know of your concerns.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative