Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50568 posts
14940 upvotes
ONTARIO

house sold without owners' consent.

What can you do if your house is sold without your' consent?

How do you protect against this?

Or is this a case of “yup… a criminal mastermind actually pulled off the heist. They bamboozled the best of us all.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6704719

Edit :
Its happened again!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6720439

Edit 2 :
Follow up by the victim
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6726043
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Jan 26th, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
139 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6312 posts
2534 upvotes
very disappointed in CBC reporting. so much detail is missing in the article.

How was this possible? were there lawyers and/or RE agents involved?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20630 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
How was this possible indeed? Where did the documents come from? And how was the house both accessible to those selling it and in saleable condition when they were 'out of the country on business' (which probably means absentee foreign owners of an empty home).

I'm guessing this is another case of dishonest CBC reporting like the other article about the Uber-driving prospective landlord and his real estate agent friends trying to drum up sympathy by telling his fake tale of being a 'first time home owner'.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6312 posts
2534 upvotes
is this situation what my Title insurance prevents ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
5041 posts
5154 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SomeOtherDude wrote: very disappointed in CBC reporting. so much detail is missing in the article.

CBC is really bad now, almost to a point just copy and paste crap from internet and call it news.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Jan 5th, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
8097 posts
6140 upvotes
Toronto
This is why reco insurance exists lol
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1718 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
oasis100 wrote: This is why reco insurance exists lol
Yes please explain how this works. I am really interested in knowing / learning what will happen now / going forward, e.g. both buyer and owner are victim, but what is going to happen now?

Owner sues the seller RE agent, and his insurance pays? Owner kicks buyer out, then buyer sues seller RE agent? ...

And I once heard that even if someone fully paid off their house, if they have an HELOC on it (even if not using), that would make it harder for "identity theft" type fraud causing one to lose the title without knowing ...
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Aug 24, 2019
378 posts
579 upvotes
There is a lot more to the story than what has been reported. Wait for all the facts before jumping to conclusions.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7754 posts
6955 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote: very disappointed in CBC reporting. so much detail is missing in the article.

It's very easy..why do you think it's difficult?

Lawyers/agents see name of owner in land titles.. there's no picture. If the scammers know the name of owners (from parcel register or wherever)..then they just make fake id with the real owners info but pic is of the scammers

Unless the agent and lawyers know the owners personally and how they look, they just match ID to what's in land titles and good to go

This is what police released

during the month of January 2022, homeowners of a Toronto property were out of the country for business
two people personated the homeowners and hired a real estate agent

the property was then listed for sale

the property was sold and the new homeowners took possession

several months after the sale of the property, the real homeowners discovered that their property was sold without their consent

The man and woman in this investigation used fake identification to personate the real homeowners
How difficult do you think it is?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6953 posts
8808 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I'm also surprised it doesn't happen with rental cars.
Jul 24, 2018
75 posts
70 upvotes
Title insurance of latest buyers(they are victim too) should cover the cost/compensation to effected parties

Either original owners get compensate and they forgo this property or new buyers whose name is now on title will get compensate.
Either case ontario govt on hook.

Also selling lawyer license can be canceled. He did not properly verify two pieces of ID of each fraud couple
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1718 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
GCSingh wrote: Title insurance of latest buyers(they are victim too) should cover the cost/compensation to effected parties

Either original owners get compensate and they forgo this property or new buyers whose name is now on title will get compensate.
Either case ontario govt on hook.

Also selling lawyer license can be canceled. He did not properly verify two pieces of ID of each fraud couple
What happens if both original owner and new owner wants the house (instead of being compensated) -- who will "win" ?
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Sep 23, 2011
476 posts
765 upvotes
Vaughan
ssiu wrote: What happens if both original owner and new owner wants the house (instead of being compensated) -- who will "win" ?
Obviously the original owner - if something gets stolen/resold it's still yours. Unless of course we're talking about Kohinoor and the like.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1718 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Saniokca wrote: Obviously the original owner - if something gets stolen/resold it's still yours. Unless of course we're talking about Kohinoor and the like.
I agree that this makes sense (even though it sucks for the new owner, through no fault of their own). I hope that is really the correct answer (sometimes the correct answer in no-win situation is not what I expected ...)
Sep 29, 2014
107 posts
98 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Now tenants can also sell off the properties to anyone after listing them. Need to be careful.