Home & Garden

House while on vacation

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 12:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4662 posts
3486 upvotes

House while on vacation

Will be gone for an entire month. Besides turning off the main water valve and lowering the heat, is there anything else that one should consider before leaving? I will have a friend coming by to checking the the place, get mail, water plants, etc. As per my policy, I did notify the insurance company. Anything else? Is it necessary to run the water throughout the house during this time?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1903 posts
1414 upvotes
GTA West
Why would you run water throughout the house? And how can you do that if your water is turned off?

I know some people who unplug every AC cord when they go away, but I think that is just a superstition.

I have a remote reading WIFI thermostat so if we travel during the winter I can check that the temperature is OK in the house. If I get an alert I can ask my houseminder to look after it. I also have an Arlo at the front door so I can see if papers are piling up etc.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Feb 24th, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4052 posts
3113 upvotes
GTA
Make sure the beer fridge is full and leave the key under your door mat. PM me your address and worry about your trip, not the house. I will take care of it. You wasted all that time for nothing. Next time just post here “away for 1 month- who will stay in my house?”. Tell your friend, she can still come - I will share the beer.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4124 posts
928 upvotes
Sask.
Have the friend flush the toilet once in a while.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6421 posts
3440 upvotes
Mississauga
^ You could always Saran wrap the bowl if you’re concerned about the water evaporating.

Turning off the water is a good idea. Also make sure fridges and cupboards are cleaned out of perishables.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4662 posts
3486 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Why would you run water throughout the house? And how can you do that if your water is turned off?
Not sure, insurance company suggested it - I guess to avoid pipes from freezing. Obviously you would need to turn the water back on to that .
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
2344 posts
1065 upvotes
Edmonton
natalka wrote: Have the friend flush the toilet once in a while.
If you’ve turned off the water, this is not a good idea........
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4662 posts
3486 upvotes
walleye*guy wrote: If you’ve turned off the water, this is not a good idea........
Is it a good idea to turn the water back on and run the water after 2 weeks? That's what insurance company suggested but I didn't understand why.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4555 posts
1926 upvotes
GTA
hierophant wrote: Is it a good idea to turn the water back on and run the water after 2 weeks? That's what insurance company suggested but I didn't understand why.
Makes no sense, if you're worried about any pipes freezing then simply drain the water from a basement faucet.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4582 upvotes
Alberta
hierophant wrote: Is it a good idea to turn the water back on and run the water after 2 weeks? That's what insurance company suggested but I didn't understand why.
It keeps the drain traps full of water so it doesn't stink with that sewer smell when they dry out. You need to run it at all the sinks/faucets, tubs and toilets. Also turn the hot water tank thermostat to vacation mode.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18675 posts
2396 upvotes
Woodbridge
Seems you're making things more difficult than you should.

Ask a family member or a very close friend to stay over the weekend. That's what my boy did when we went away for the Philippines for almost a month.

Going back in 2 days. :(
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
3347 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
My elderly neighbours as me to check their house once every couple of days when they go away for more than 4 days at a time. I'd only bother if it was more than a week but they're nice people and i don't mind spending 3 minutes and doing a once over of their house. I take the mail in too.

Find a trustworthy neighbour/friend.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
22148 posts
25999 upvotes
Toronto
or AirBNB it and make some $ while you're away
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10115 posts
1537 upvotes
Hm something to think about. If we go away for 1 month and I get my brother to come once a week to collect mail, what else can I ask him to do at my house?

Flush each toilet once? Anything else?
Member
Feb 20, 2017
322 posts
97 upvotes
Barrie, ON
speedyforme wrote: Hm something to think about. If we go away for 1 month and I get my brother to come once a week to collect mail, what else can I ask him to do at my house?

Flush each toilet once? Anything else?
Get him to clean the whole house mizewell since he's helping
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10115 posts
1537 upvotes
Zombly wrote: Get him to clean the whole house mizewell since he's helping
LOL in the past when we went away for 2 weeks, he'd show up to get mail and that's it.

But now we are going away for 1 month next Feb in winter so I am concerned what else we need to do....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
3347 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
speedyforme wrote: LOL in the past when we went away for 2 weeks, he'd show up to get mail and that's it.
But now we are going away for 1 month next Feb in winter so I am concerned what else we need to do....
If nothing goes wrong then there is really nothing to do. Off the top of my head here's the things i can think of that might go wrong.

if a water pipe bursts it will flood. get him to check or turn off water to begin with.
if furnace stops working or electricity got cut, pipes might freeze. ideally he has to check house frequenly enough that if the furnace stops he will check again before your pipes freeze and burst.
if a toilet bowl evaporates it will let gasses up and stink. flush toilet to fix. turn water back on first if you turned it off.
if a window broke then the elements will get in. get him to check
if an appliance shorted out it might be starting a fire. get him to check fire alarms aren't blaring.
if someone broke in there will be stuff missing and maybe a broken door/window. get him to call the cops.

Really is there anything else?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10115 posts
1537 upvotes
Kevinck wrote: If nothing goes wrong then there is really nothing to do. Off the top of my head here's the things i can think of that might go wrong.

if a water pipe bursts it will flood. get him to check or turn off water to begin with.
if furnace stops working or electricity got cut, pipes might freeze. ideally he has to check house frequenly enough that if the furnace stops he will check again before your pipes freeze and burst.
if a toilet bowl evaporates it will let gasses up and stink. flush toilet to fix. turn water back on first if you turned it off.
if a window broke then the elements will get in. get him to check
if an appliance shorted out it might be starting a fire. get him to check fire alarms aren't blaring.
if someone broke in there will be stuff missing and maybe a broken door/window. get him to call the cops.

Really is there anything else?
Thanks. I think asking him to run the faucets or flush toilets once a week would be OK.

My main concern may be humidifier, we have a stand a lone unit and I don't think it's best to leave it plugged in, plus the water may not last a week. I also don't want my wood floors to be ruined without a humidifier for 1 month though...

Is it really better to shut off all water in case of pipes freezing? I am a townhome and attached to units on one side of me and behind me.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7392 posts
4664 upvotes
Victoria, BC
speedyforme wrote: Thanks. I think asking him to run the faucets or flush toilets once a week would be OK.

My main concern may be humidifier, we have a stand a lone unit and I don't think it's best to leave it plugged in, plus the water may not last a week. I also don't want my wood floors to be ruined without a humidifier for 1 month though...

Is it really better to shut off all water in case of pipes freezing? I am a townhome and attached to units on one side of me and behind me.
Some may not agree, but I don't think a month without a humidifier will ruin your floors at all. Our townhouse had one that was never functional in the whole time we owned it (3 years) and we had hardwood floors. Nothing happened to them. We are in Ottawa and it gets very dry in the winter.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10115 posts
1537 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Some may not agree, but I don't think a month without a humidifier will ruin your floors at all. Our townhouse had one that was never functional in the whole time we owned it (3 years) and we had hardwood floors. Nothing happened to them. We are in Ottawa and it gets very dry in the winter.
Thanks. It looks certainly like it won't be turned on for that month. Maybe have a ton of pots/buckets filled with water throughout the house may help lol.

Top