• between 2 wetlands (about 600m away)
  • 11 ft ceiling in living room and kitchen
  • 1500 sq ft
  • better builder
  • $670k
B:
  • 1800 sq ft (300 sq ft more)
  • $710k (40k more than A)
  • better location (no wetlands, better schools, slightly more amenities, near family)
  • ok-ish builder (heard good and bad reviews; both builders use the same contractors)
Both builders' layouts are identical except for square footage
Last edited by Sjlaaa on Jul 10th, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
If the difference between the builders is not in the extreme, better location wins. $40K for 300 sqft extra as well as better location should be a deal but then I don’t know how much percentage is $40K.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes
Holystone wrote: If the difference between the builders is not in the extreme, better location wins. $40K for 300 sqft extra as well as better location should be a deal but then I don’t know how much percentage is $40K.
Sorry I should have specified. A is $670, B is $710
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1880 upvotes
Canada
Any difference in property tax?
Close to groceries?
Bus?Subway? Highway close by?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1866 posts
1302 upvotes
Toronto
B

Location and sqft trumps builder reputation
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes
kimmelite wrote: Any difference in property tax?
Close to groceries?
Bus?Subway? Highway close by?
Sorry how do you check property tax on a new build?
Groceries B is better
Public transportation is about the same
Highway: A is a little closer but closer to a useless part of the highway
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
bigger house
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1340 posts
917 upvotes
London, On
To me 1800 is 600 more than 1500 because I like to think of the basement potential as well. When you say beside wetland, do you mean like right beside wetland, as in no neighbours? That would be a plus to me. Although that could depend on what kind of wildlife that wetland has. We did the closer to family thing. (Wife's sister lived just around the corner from us). It was ok, but not really a selling feature to me. Are these newbuilds or existing homes? If existing, does one have any nicer finishes or other features over the other? Finished basement space? Walkout is cool, but that also says to me "Now I get to build a patio for the walkout and a more expensive deck above it and I'll always have to go down a set of stairs, inside or out, to get to my backyard".

Based on your info, B is a slight winner for me, based basically on the footage and the presumed preferred location.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes
djeffery wrote: To me 1800 is 600 more than 1500 because I like to think of the basement potential as well. When you say beside wetland, do you mean like right beside wetland, as in no neighbours? That would be a plus to me. Although that could depend on what kind of wildlife that wetland has. We did the closer to family thing. (Wife's sister lived just around the corner from us). It was ok, but not really a selling feature to me. Are these newbuilds or existing homes? If existing, does one have any nicer finishes or other features over the other? Finished basement space? Walkout is cool, but that also says to me "Now I get to build a patio for the walkout and a more expensive deck above it and I'll always have to go down a set of stairs, inside or out, to get to my backyard".

Based on your info, B is a slight winner for me, based basically on the footage and the presumed preferred location.
These are new builds. By "beside wetland" I mean it's about 600m from the wetlands, still have neighbors.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22882 posts
21729 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
First rule of real estate ...

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

Clearly House B is the winner

Plus all the other great reasons that previous RFDers have listed in their replies

Re - FYI ... Wetlands
They are pretty to look at, and filled with birds & wildlife
But not always great to live beside
Mosquitoes can be a huge issue in the summertime cuz of standing water
Sometimes they smell ... again standing water
And if it’s a wet year ... these lowlands are more prone to flooding
(Your house will also prob need a sump pump )
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, isn't it kinda a no-brainer? The $/sqft is actually lower for B, in addition to better location, larger house, no wetlands, etc. Can't see how one would pick A unless don't wanna pay the extra $40K or the respective reps of the builders are at extreme ends.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1893 posts
442 upvotes
What ever you decide you can not change the location.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
PointsHubby wrote: First rule of real estate ...

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
Why is House B bigger and in a better location for not a lot more money? Something doesn’t add up and I think you might be missing something in regards to location here OP.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
I would choose house A as it has a walkout basement. That would be far more important to me then a few hundred extra square feet of living space. 300 square feet in the grand scheme of things isn't much depending on where the extra square footage is placed in the design and I would not want a basement without a walkout.

Finishes and upgrades would also be an important factor here. To much info missing to make a proper decision
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1262 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Jerico wrote: Why is House B bigger and in a better location for not a lot more money? Something doesn’t add up and I think you might be missing something in regards to location here OP.
Possibly Builder A is charging a lot premium fee because of the wetlands.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
As someone who enjoys nature the wetland location is actually more appealing to me.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22882 posts
21729 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: Why is House B bigger and in a better location for not a lot more money? Something doesn’t add up and I think you might be missing something in regards to location here OP.
Interesting thought ...

My input went simply off the info give by the OP on the two houses, and which one I would pick and why (not WHAT the price difference was ... or WHY so )

So my choice was House B ... based on Location

Even the OP said the location was better in his post from the terms of nearby amenities

He even mentioned schools. Schools are a BIG selling point.

Without further input from the OP (and I do hope he comes back to add his POV to your question) and just going off what’s been provide this far:

House A prob has a lot premium as @Bianco13 suggested in Reply # 17 ... due to “no future development / neighbours” and the wetlands

House A seemingly has more “features” (walk out / ceiling heights) so there could be an up charge for those items

House A is known to have a better builder ... so they may just charge more per square foot to begin with

Whereas, House B could be just a pretty average run of the mill 1800 square foot house ... with an average lot (maybe mid Street) and no fancy extras (extra ceiling height etc)

I’d still choose House B for all the reasons that I mentioned in my first post

THE MATH
House A = $ 670,000 / 1500 Sq Ft = $ 446.66
House B = $ 710,000 / 1800 Sq Ft = $ 394.44
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
I'd choose the one that pleases me, and the one that suits my needs. Not based on other's opinion.