Automotive

Locked: HOV lane ticket on hwy 404 - affect on insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2016 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18394 posts
2210 upvotes
Woodbridge
squadz wrote: Carpool lanes are stupid to begin with.

Lets serve the 1% instead of helping the flow of traffic disperse with another lane for the other 99%!
I really doubt it'll make any impact with GTA drivers impeding the left lane, unnecessary braking that creates a ripple effect which causes the back log.

So you know what, when I need to take advantage of it, I'll take it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
460 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
seiresM wrote: It's not a moving violation so unless it's points, it's has no effect. Fight it in court and get it dropped!!
It is a violation of the HTA, and I am technically moving while I "improperly used the lane". I might fight it though just to save on insurance, though this is if my first ticket in 5+ years, so it might not matter.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1154 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
seiresM wrote: It's not a moving violation so unless it's points, it's has no effect. Fight it in court and get it dropped!!
It's not a moving violation? According to whom? Also points have no bearing on your insurance premiums.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
460 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: Why do you think your time is more valuable than everyone else? That's what I'd like to know.
Because I'm willing to pay the fine if and when I'm booked by police? That's exactly why.

Ontario intends to create high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, are you going to ask the people who pay $60 a month why they think their time is worth more too?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1154 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
sinankeser wrote: Because I'm willing to pay the fine if and when I'm booked by police? That's exactly why.

Ontario intends to create high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, are you going to ask the people who pay $60 a month why they think their time is worth more too?
That's not entirely true. You wouldn't be here creating a thread asking if it will affect your insurance premiums if you were willing to pay to play. Right?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4186 posts
1627 upvotes
Parry Sound
HOV lanes are ridiculous. Especially when a lot of them are active only during rush hour. Really? How does that make any sense?

Someone explain to me the real benefit here other than patting carpoolers on the back? You have an empty lane that's barely used. Meanwhile you have 2 other lanes that are jam packed. Use that third lane and lessen the traffic congestion.

Now this woman wants to let rich folks pay to gain access to the carpool lane LOL and liberals are supposed to be "for the people" and not for the rich/corporations? Right.....
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
460 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: I really doubt it'll make any impact with GTA drivers impeding the left lane, unnecessary braking that creates a ripple effect which causes the back log.

So you know what, when I need to take advantage of it, I'll take it.
I think the HOV lane is a great idea, not because of the carpooling effect but more a result of not being able to switch into/out of the lane which creates traffic ripples. We need express lanes. If so many drivers are driving from highway 401 to Aurora and beyond, they should have a dedicated lane that you can't leave until after Elgin Mills (let's say), that would alleviate traffic for them and for everyone else.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
sinankeser wrote: It is a violation of the HTA, and I am technically moving while I "improperly used the lane". I might fight it though just to save on insurance, though this is if my first ticket in 5+ years, so it might not matter.
Good luck fighting it. It's the most impossible case to win. You're either in the lane or you aren't.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4186 posts
1627 upvotes
Parry Sound
amkorp wrote: That's not entirely true. You wouldn't be here creating a thread asking if it will affect your insurance premiums if you were willing to pay to play. Right?
Being willing to pay to use the lane is not the same as being extorted for the rest of your driving life by a scam of a business.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4186 posts
1627 upvotes
Parry Sound
sinankeser wrote: I think the HOV lane is a great idea, not because of the carpooling effect but more a result of not being able to switch into/out of the lane which creates traffic ripples. We need express lanes. If so many drivers are driving from highway 401 to Aurora and beyond, they should have a dedicated lane that you can't leave until after Elgin Mills (let's say), that would alleviate traffic for them and for everyone else.
We do have some express vs collector lanes....
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
sinankeser wrote: Because I'm willing to pay the fine if and when I'm booked by police? That's exactly why.

Legally using the lanes for a fee isn't remotely the same thing as illegally using the lanes and hoping not to get caught/paying up when you do get caught. And if you're willing to pay the fine then suck it up and take the insurance increase that comes along with it. By all means, have at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1154 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
MayorOfToronto wrote: Being willing to pay to use the lane is not the same as being extorted for the rest of your driving life by a scam of a business.
Being willing to pay and illegally using the lane because you can stomach the ensuing ticket are not the same thing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)