Shopping Discussion

How Accurate is Amazon's Shipping Estimation?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2019 12:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
711 upvotes
Waterloo
Brandon26 wrote: Sorry, forgot to update. Yes, it came on time, seems it is very accurate.
resurrecting dead thread.

I had some bad experience with this recently ( as much as I was proclaiming Amazon as god of shipping)

I had cancelled my prime membership ( technical reasons because they dont offer pretty much anything else other than shipping as opposed to all the goodies they offer in the US. and Seems like for most of my orders I would have to pay for next day shipping instead of it being free. and mnost of all no family memberships).
all my orders were setup to be shipped ( not arrival, like actual thats when they would start shipping them ) like in a week. which seemed to me rediculous. On top of that two of my orders , they had stock when i ordered but ran out in a few days so the shipping dat was pushed back 2 months. and a third order was cancelled because they couldn't find the product anymore.

tl;dr If you dont have prime. expect minimal service quality in shipping.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
4995 posts
2136 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: resurrecting dead thread.

I had some bad experience with this recently ( as much as I was proclaiming Amazon as god of shipping)

I had cancelled my prime membership ( technical reasons because they dont offer pretty much anything else other than shipping as opposed to all the goodies they offer in the US. and Seems like for most of my orders I would have to pay for next day shipping instead of it being free. and mnost of all no family memberships).
all my orders were setup to be shipped ( not arrival, like actual thats when they would start shipping them ) like in a week. which seemed to me rediculous. On top of that two of my orders , they had stock when i ordered but ran out in a few days so the shipping dat was pushed back 2 months. and a third order was cancelled because they couldn't find the product anymore.

tl;dr If you dont have prime. expect minimal service quality in shipping.
I suspect that they purposely hold non-Prime shipments for a couple of days. They could ship it out just as fast, but they would rather you pay.

Do they also let prime orders jump non-prime orders in terms of inventory? (By this I mean non-prime makes an order for an item first and then prime member jumps the first order.) If they want to keep the paying prime member happy, they might. This may actually cause you to pay and opt in.

I doubt Amazon pays much for each additional package they ship out. So they probably still make money if you pay for prime and have 5 shipments to your home a month.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
932 posts
528 upvotes
London, On
renoldman wrote:
I doubt Amazon pays much for each additional package they ship out. So they probably still make money if you pay for prime and have 5 shipments to your home a month.
Not sure what that means. Amazon pays by the piece for shipping. They make money on Prime because many people don't use it multiple times a month.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
renoldman wrote: I suspect that they purposely hold non-Prime shipments for a couple of days. They could ship it out just as fast, but they would rather you pay.

Do they also let prime orders jump non-prime orders in terms of inventory?
With their volume of orders and the amount of automation neither of these would surprise me.
Makes sense too for at least the first part.
If you live anywhere near a warehouse, it's going to be next day shipping anyways. Since Prime is all about 2 day shipping, delaying would totally make sense to push their Prime.
Personally I would argue it's not even that scummy of a thing to do considering pretty much every other online retailer has at least a 1 day if not a couple day lead time before shipping.
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
86 posts
16 upvotes
Amazon Canada prices are actually pretty bad. Lot of inflated prices & then a discount is shown.

Almost always I can find a better price & quality at a nearby local bricks & mortar retailer.

As far as possible I like to support the small guy, as once they are gone & Amazon becomes a monopoly they will jack up prices & shipping charges & prime even more with NO competition left.

I have visited Amazon warehouses in Canada, absolutely horrible & miserable treatment of workers over there. Mostly immigrants made to slog through their hiring agency SMX Staff Management.

Insane pressure on them to reach some ridiculous targets. Most of them are used for seasonal work & then discarded. They are treated like thieves & made to go through metal detectors & airport type security every time they go out or for their lunch break.

Even washroom breaks & water drinking breaks are monitored down to the second.

All I saw there was exhausted, dehydrated, sad & miserable new comers & immigrants to Canada, who were being exploited right, left & centre with a pittance pay.

I almost never buy from Amazon after I saw all this with my own eyes. They are my last choice for shopping. Heck even Wal-Mart is better than them at treating it's employees, that's how bad things at Amazon are!
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5678 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
It's usually accurate. However, I did order something using prime and it didn't arrive the next day despite both items being in stock and qualified for prime. Ordered on Thursday and tracking showed that it was dispatched and should arrive the Friday before 9pm. It didn't make it until the following Monday after I left for vacation. Would've liked the items for my trip though. If they are late, you can complain and they will usually compensate with 1 month free prime.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
Cambridge here, with Prime 65% arrives within 2 days; no Prime 15% within 2 days. With or without Prime things take up to 11 days (e.g., if they are shipping it internally up from the US.)

The big difference is the promised delivery date for Prime is within a few days whereas without Prime they only promise it within 10-14 days (but then update the shipping information so that it is within a few days anyway).

With Prime they ship each item as it becomes available and will break up a multi-item order into 2-3 shipments OR combine items from multiple orders to create multiple semi-fulfilled orders. I found being on the receiving end of a hail of packages to be a great inconvenience. At least without Prime all of your stuff comes together. I'd rather have one box on Friday than deliveries Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
711 upvotes
Waterloo
lecale wrote: Cambridge here, with Prime 65% arrives within 2 days; no Prime 15% within 2 days. With or without Prime things take up to 11 days (e.g., if they are shipping it internally up from the US.)

The big difference is the promised delivery date for Prime is within a few days whereas without Prime they only promise it within 10-14 days (but then update the shipping information so that it is within a few days anyway).

With Prime they ship each item as it becomes available and will break up a multi-item order into 2-3 shipments OR combine items from multiple orders to create multiple semi-fulfilled orders. I found being on the receiving end of a hail of packages to be a great inconvenience. At least without Prime all of your stuff comes together. I'd rather have one box on Friday than deliveries Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
My experience of about a month without prime is completely different. Without Prime I would have expected the "shipping" method to be cheaper ( slower) not the order picking date. I was perfectly ok waiting for the order to arrive in 10 days. but as I stated , since the order picking priority is completely changed, things went out of stock by the time my shipment was prepared. I still recieved multiple packages. which is Ok too. but it sucks that order picking priority is higher ( for Prime users ) which is not disclosed.

My reason for cancelling Prime was that it offers none of the benefits which i would expect from say US prime. not even Family membership. Canadian Prime benefits suck . I had Intended to Cancel Canadian Prime and Signup for US prime.

Steph1987 wrote: Amazon Canada prices are actually pretty bad. Lot of inflated prices & then a discount is shown.

Almost always I can find a better price & quality at a nearby local bricks & mortar retailer.
There was a period when almost everything Found on Amazon was a better price than Brick and morter stores, but I'd say last six months or so Retailers have wizened up and have lower prices on many things.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5020 posts
2197 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
renoldman wrote: I suspect that they purposely hold non-Prime shipments for a couple of days. They could ship it out just as fast, but they would rather you pay.
I am quite sure they do this. Ordered a couple of items a few months ago. Products were in stock but the last order sat in the warehouse for over a week (shipping location was ~100Km from where I live, a suburb of the provincial capital and warehouse is located in a suburb of the province's economic/population hub) and shipped so it was delivered at the front end of the expected to be delivered-by date. First order didn't have to come from too far but it also sat for 4 days.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.

Top