Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2245 posts
1007 upvotes
Alberta

How am I going to get scammed?

I purchased hard concert from someone on Craigslist. I purchased the tickets using PayPal - goods and services. When the seller sent a receipt to me on text showing the tracking number I knew something was wrong as they had taken a pen and changed the tracking number (changed a 3 to an 8).

I had my wife text the ad from her phone inquiring about the same tickets and the seller said yes still available but this time asking for payment via PayPal friends and family.

I am supposed to receive the tickets either tomorrow or the next day. The question is how am I going to get scammed here (now i know the seller is a scammer). If I don’t receive the valid tickets or they are invalid, I can do a dispute through PayPal because I sent the money via goods and services.

I’m trying to get all the evidence together in case I need to make a claim.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7249 posts
2080 upvotes
T dot 6
I am not sure if these are Ticketmaster tickets. But for hard Ticketmaster tickets, the original owner of the tickets can contact Ticketmaster, claim their tickets were stolen. Ticketmaster will print and send them new tickets and the old tickets will be voided. That said, since you used Craigslist and Paypal, he probably won't send anything at all. Then there are counterfit tickets also but you usually on see those on really high priced events/tickets.

Online scalpers suck and many times you pay a high premium, but at least they offer protected. That said F Stubhub!

Anyway, good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
347 upvotes
toronto, ontario
I strongly recommend you submit your claim for Paypal payment reversal immediately.

Altering the tracking number is clear evidence of fraud and your wife's call proved the Seller is trying to sell the same ticket(s) to multiple buyers. At this point there is no upside to delaying your claim for payment reversal.

My guess is you're dealing with a novice scammer (probably some punk kid). You are protected by using Paypal goods & services whereas you would NOT be if you used Paypal friends & family. Also, it is highly dubious the scammer has the actual tickets in his possession.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2245 posts
1007 upvotes
Alberta
PhotoSmurf wrote: I strongly recommend you submit your claim for Paypal payment reversal immediately.

Altering the tracking number is clear evidence of fraud and your wife's call proved the Seller is trying to sell the same ticket(s) to multiple buyers. At this point there is no upside to delaying your claim for payment reversal.

My guess is you're dealing with a novice scammer (probably some punk kid). You are protected by using Paypal goods & services whereas you would NOT be if you used Paypal friends & family. Also, it is highly dubious the scammer has the actual tickets in his possession.
I called PayPal as soon as I found out and explained the situation, however I can only file under “item not received” or “item not as described”. So I will have to wait to either receive the package or not. At the moment I just have suspicion.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35253 posts
21230 upvotes
Center of Universe
abc123yyz wrote: I called PayPal as soon as I found out and explained the situation, however I can only file under “item not received” or “item not as described”. So I will have to wait to either receive the package or not. At the moment I just have suspicion.
Put in the dispute and let PayPal deal with the seller, as they will get a chance to respond.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2245 posts
1007 upvotes
Alberta
vkizzle wrote: Put in the dispute and let PayPal deal with the seller, as they will get a chance to respond.
UPDATE:
So based on the REAL tracking number that I was able to decipher the package was actually delivered to a completely different province. I called paypal and opened a dispute and they automatically escalated it to a claim and the seller has 10 days to respond with a valid tracking number (which of course he can not provide). Paypal will cover me completely for the loss.

After I opened a dispute, the scammer texted me saying that "You filed a claim with PayPal saying you didn't get your tickets? Tracking says they will be there today, are you trying to rip me off?" I then told him that I saw that he altered the tracking number and had it delivered to a completely different province, I also have more evidence but didn't tell him/her what it was. After that it has been silence.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1240 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
abc123yyz wrote: UPDATE:
So based on the REAL tracking number that I was able to decipher the package was actually delivered to a completely different province. I called paypal and opened a dispute and they automatically escalated it to a claim and the seller has 10 days to respond with a valid tracking number (which of course he can not provide). Paypal will cover me completely for the loss.

After I opened a dispute, the scammer texted me saying that "You filed a claim with PayPal saying you didn't get your tickets? Tracking says they will be there today, are you trying to rip me off?" I then told him that I saw that he altered the tracking number and had it delivered to a completely different province, I also have more evidence but didn't tell him/her what it was. After that it has been silence.
You've been doing the right thing to be pre-emptive about it all. Document everything and I'd give the seller zero information at this point - let all communications happen through PayPal going forward. Don't allow him to know what you know, how you know it, or what your plan or thinking is. Take a screenshot of his response to your wife's inquiry as well with a timestamp if possible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2245 posts
1007 upvotes
Alberta
Gmas wrote: You've been doing the right thing to be pre-emptive about it all. Document everything and I'd give the seller zero information at this point - let all communications happen through PayPal going forward. Don't allow him to know what you know, how you know it, or what your plan or thinking is. Take a screenshot of his response to your wife's inquiry as well with a timestamp if possible.
Yes thanks! We are keeping everything until the issue has been resolved and I have the funds back in my account. Everything is in writing (nothing verbal). Lesson learned, stubhub or Ticketmaster resale it is from now on.
Jul 20, 2017
135 posts
102 upvotes
Don't quote me on this because I have never bought tickets second hand.

I'm pretty sure the seller can push the tickets to your own ticketmaster account or something like that. Maybe that would prevent people from being able to submit and claim they were stolen?

Either way, glad you paid goods and services, never pay for anything without it.