Real Estate

How to ask seller broker to remove photos from MLS.

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2021 7:10 pm
[OP]
Jul 4, 2020
13 posts
3 upvotes

How to ask seller broker to remove photos from MLS.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

So basically my friend recently purchased a house. He would like to remove some photos from the MLS. If you search the house address on zillow or HouseSigma, you can see that it says the photos are provided by TRREB.

We read it somewhere that they must keep 2-3 photos. That's okay. We just want to remove the remaining 20 photos showing individual rooms.

Is it possible? Or is there some rules that prohibit this? I don't want to go through all the trouble for the RECO compliant.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3044 posts
1637 upvotes
Mississauga
Have no idea, but interested in hearing responses here.

Why would you want photos removed?
Mar 30, 2017
859 posts
559 upvotes
I don't see why seller agent would refuse this, cost nothing to remove.just tell buyer agent to send request
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Aug 11, 2018
993 posts
919 upvotes
goodluck.

even if removed they are cached somewhere on the web. nothing is private once uploaded to the WWW.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10015 posts
9725 upvotes
Markham
Contact the listing agent, and if they don't reply to you or help you... contact their brokerage and their Broker of Record.... If that doesn't help... i am not sure. good luck.
Dec 22, 2007
861 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
OnMars wrote: obvious privacy reason.
i get privacy however curious how is it invaded if the pictures stay up?

normally i thought that once the listing is removed the pictures would go as well within mls?
May 28, 2012
443 posts
405 upvotes
ONT
On HouseSigma there's listings and pictures from every year back to 2003.......
Aug 23, 2014
21 posts
12 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
Semi-related: we recently bought a house and the listing agent only listed 2 bathrooms instead of 3. We asked our agent if the listing agent can update the listing so there won't be any discrepancy during appraisal, and our agent said it's not as easy to update it since it's already reported sold and the listing agent will have to go through the board to get it changed.

Not sure how the process with removing pictures go but as others said, sites like housesigma have definitely already cached the photos.
Dec 14, 2019
35 posts
13 upvotes
I did the same thing a few years ago, asking the listing agent to remove the photos of the place I bought. The agent did, and when I googled my address, I no longer see the pics, however, they are still all on housesigma.
Jul 29, 2007
70 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
OnMars wrote: Thanks in advance for any answers.

So basically my friend recently purchased a house. He would like to remove some photos from the MLS. If you search the house address on zillow or HouseSigma, you can see that it says the photos are provided by TRREB.

We read it somewhere that they must keep 2-3 photos. That's okay. We just want to remove the remaining 20 photos showing individual rooms.

Is it possible? Or is there some rules that prohibit this? I don't want to go through all the trouble for the RECO compliant.
I don't think realtors are allowed to do this (recent past policy by TRREB/RECO?) ... used to be so that selling realtor would delete pics once sold (or there after) but it's not allowed anymore. So, agent/brokerage cannot delete pics just before being sold (if reported, brokerage would be in violation) or thereafter.

Update: Here is a link that describes the changes:
https://darcytoombs.ca/2019/09/27/treb- ... -listings/

September 27, 2019

TREB: Deleting Photos and Information from MLS® Listings
The following is a notice to the members of The Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) that was sent out this morning:

Please be advised that TREB will not accept requests to make certain special edits on listings which have become inactive (expired, sold, or terminated). Specifically, requests to remove photos, room dimensions, room descriptions, and information in the various remarks fields (Remarks for Clients, Remarks for Brokers, and Extras) will be denied.

In addition, circumstances in which a Member has removed the information noted above from an active listing and then shortly thereafter the listing has expired, been terminated, or been marked as sold, will be treated as a violation of MLS® Rule R-108, which reads as follows:

R-108 – All Members shall abide by the RECO Rules, the CREA Rules, the MLS® Rules and Policies, and by all applicable laws and regulatory requirements. No Member shall act in a manner so as to attempt to deliberately avoid or circumvent TREB’s MLS® System, the RECO Rules, the CREA Rules or these MLS® Rules and Policies, or any applicable laws or regulatory requirements.
Oct 2, 2017
783 posts
548 upvotes
once the house is sold it will disappear from MLS. some sites cache this but once it's out on the internet.. it will never go away
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Jul 8, 2018
67 posts
53 upvotes
GTA
lovevasi wrote: I don't think realtors are allowed to do this (recent past policy by TRREB/RECO?) ... used to be so that selling realtor would delete pics once sold (or there after) but it's not allowed anymore. So, agent/brokerage cannot delete pics just before being sold (if reported, brokerage would be in violation) or thereafter.

Update: Here is a link that describes the changes:
https://darcytoombs.ca/2019/09/27/treb- ... -listings/

September 27, 2019

TREB: Deleting Photos and Information from MLS® Listings
The following is a notice to the members of The Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) that was sent out this morning:

Please be advised that TREB will not accept requests to make certain special edits on listings which have become inactive (expired, sold, or terminated). Specifically, requests to remove photos, room dimensions, room descriptions, and information in the various remarks fields (Remarks for Clients, Remarks for Brokers, and Extras) will be denied.

In addition, circumstances in which a Member has removed the information noted above from an active listing and then shortly thereafter the listing has expired, been terminated, or been marked as sold, will be treated as a violation of MLS® Rule R-108, which reads as follows:

R-108 – All Members shall abide by the RECO Rules, the CREA Rules, the MLS® Rules and Policies, and by all applicable laws and regulatory requirements. No Member shall act in a manner so as to attempt to deliberately avoid or circumvent TREB’s MLS® System, the RECO Rules, the CREA Rules or these MLS® Rules and Policies, or any applicable laws or regulatory requirements.
Do you by chance know if this applies to rental listings through MLS as well?
Jul 29, 2007
70 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
KyleTO wrote: Do you by chance know if this applies to rental listings through MLS as well?
I don't know as a fact but I believe this applies to all listings -- be it for sale or for rent.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1104 posts
976 upvotes
ON
OnMars wrote: Thanks in advance for any answers.

Why would you want to go through this trouble for your friend? Slightly Smiling Face
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5996 posts
3191 upvotes
Thornhill
+1 to ovevasi's post.

As an aside, the removal of pictures was taking place very frequently in part because the listings were being abused by people who have no interest in them for their own personal gain as buyer/seller/landlord/tenant but as a means to gossip.

The whole reason the MLS listing service was created was to provide information about a property to Realtors that allows their buyers and sellers to make an informed decision all of which is comparative sales dependent. It starts with a seller where determining market value is necessary which is accomplished in large part by reviewing other listings, the pictures are obviously as important as the details and ends with a buyer deciding whether or not they wish to pursue what they see in print and photos. Removing them dilutes this ability.

If in Ontario, your friend as a buyer most likely utilized the MLS option. If they used a Realtor to represent them then they signed a contract clearly giving the Realtor, their brokerage and the real estate board the right to retain and use those photos for the above purpose. If they signed an Offer with the listing brokerage's Schedule B attached, they contracted to the same. To request to remove them now is to take away from the other sellers and buyers the service they themself exploited.

But, despite this, your friend may have an alternative route since privacy laws in Canada trumps corporate rules and regulations. Your friend can appeal under PIPEDA to the privacy commissioner as PIPEDA does have a provision stating that a consumer has the right to withdraw certain privacy rights previously waived.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm confused about how a previous homeowner's pictures are any kind of privacy concern of the new buyer. It's not like the previous furnishing are likely still in the house or anything. What's next, getting the previous homeowner to remove all their Facebook pictures of the home as well?

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6396 posts
2579 upvotes
Ottawa
CNeufeld wrote: I'm confused about how a previous homeowner's pictures are any kind of privacy concern of the new buyer. It's not like the previous furnishing are likely still in the house or anything. What's next, getting the previous homeowner to remove all their Facebook pictures of the home as well?

C
Don't forget any pictures previous owners might have in their photo albums as well!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7484 posts
4773 upvotes
Victoria, BC
CNeufeld wrote: I'm confused about how a previous homeowner's pictures are any kind of privacy concern of the new buyer. It's not like the previous furnishing are likely still in the house or anything. What's next, getting the previous homeowner to remove all their Facebook pictures of the home as well?

C
Agreed. I couldn't care less if the pictures of my house from before I even bought it are online.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3044 posts
1637 upvotes
Mississauga
OnMars wrote: obvious privacy reason.
Obviously it's on the internet....privacy is gone