• Jan 25th, 2023 8:47 am
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
380 posts
121 upvotes
Ottawa

How To Avoid Checking Your Carry-on At The Gate Before Flight

So here's the thing.
Many people travel with a "carry-on" case to avoid checking baggage. Before, it was to avoid fees and now because who the hell knows where your luggage will end up.

On my last trip, we checked some bags and had a hard shell carry-on that I brought with me to the gate. Before our flight (WS) it was announced that everyone had to check their carry-on?? I did and never saw any of my luggage for 3 days.
A friend recently travelled to Vegas (WS) for a week with just a carry-on and no checked luggage. They forced her at the gate, before boarding, that she had to check her carry-on. And just like me she never saw her luggage for two days.
So, why all of a sudden, are they not allowing carry-ons?
This was always a choice when they announced at the gate for volunteers to check their carry-ons.
Is there anything we can do as passengers beyond insisting to the gate attendant that you want to keep your bag with you.
Any advice or solutions to this.?

Thanks
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5132 posts
1771 upvotes
Mississauga
Be the first one on the plane. There's not enough overhead bins space for everyone to bring a carry-on.
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: So, why all of a sudden, are they not allowing carry-ons?
This article was posted recently...

More Canadians travelling light could result in passengers checking carry-on bags
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/12/28/ ... y-on-bags/

spike in air travellers resorting to taking their items with them onboard during the holiday season, it is more likely you’ll be asked to check in your carry-on due to limited space.

We’ve seen it before. A request to voluntarily check-in your bag at the gate free of charge as the bags begin to take up space in the overhead bins past the passengers that have already boarded.

But more tweets have been popping up of late, with many expressing frustration who had either voluntarily or forcibly checked in their carry-on bag. In some cases resulting in their bag not meeting them at their destination upon arrival.
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7687 posts
6868 upvotes
This maybe why (not enough bin space) Porter is not including carry ons anymore for their cheapest fares and charging for it and forcing people to pay to bring a carry on
Sep 30, 2001
29582 posts
9131 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: Any advice or solutions to this.?
Buy premium economy (or higher) to get the on plane sooner and get a spot in the overhead bins.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2656 posts
917 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: Be the first one on the plane. There's not enough overhead bins space for everyone to bring a carry-on.
737NG
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18559 posts
13354 upvotes
Markham
I've rarely seen "forced" checking of carry on, only volunteer your bag.

I really wished airlines would enforce their own rules. Ppl bring oversized carry on and oversized backpacks etc. Size limits and number and size of bags should be enforced. Frustrates me to no end to see ppl with huge ass bags going in as a carryon. They need to enforce sizing and charging extra for for checking it at the gate because they are over the size limits. Every seat should be allotted one space in the overhead compartments corresponding to your seat number - that's it.

Airlines are part of the problem.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2963 posts
1117 upvotes
The worst part is people stuffing their jackets and small purses and backpacks up there when they can go under the seat or be held in the lap like a jacket during takeoff. Some will argue they paid for it but this results in others struggling to find room for their carry on suitcase which can't fit under the seats.

And people placing their carry on flat instead of vertical...
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17007 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
Rant on.

Airlines need to do better with baggage allowance, personal items, suitcase size etc.

Every time I'm flying to a Caribbean location, someone is getting on with a full roller bag, Canada Goose Parka, as well as a gigantic "personal item".
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23535 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: I've rarely seen "forced" checking of carry on, only volunteer your bag.

I really wished airlines would enforce their own rules. Ppl bring oversized carry on and oversized backpacks etc. Size limits and number and size of bags should be enforced. Frustrates me to no end to see ppl with huge ass bags going in as a carryon. They need to enforce sizing and charging extra for for checking it at the gate because they are over the size limits. Every seat should be allotted one space in the overhead compartments corresponding to your seat number - that's it.

Airlines are part of the problem.
100% this

Occasionally Air Canada does their part …
And rolls out the “Does your carry on fit” frame
And then goes around putting YES Stickers on those that do
Those that don’t have to check it …
Although it’s primarily Gate Checked = No Fee

Makes sense … those that do it right
Get the convenience of having their carry on at their fingertips
Others have to wait for their bags

What irks me …
Is not only have travellers gotten to taken bigger pieces than allowed
But the new trend seems to be … TWO big @-SS pieces
Instead of one pc of carry on + one smaller personal item
So hauling on like 3 things … not 2

I say NIP THAT IN THE BUD … NOW !!!
It’s downright abuse of the rules
And inconveniences everyone else in multiple ways
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11383 posts
2325 upvotes
Carryons are the worst. They cause so much delay for people getting onto the flight. Not to mention ppl put their carryons in overheads that arent even above their seat.

Personally I think anything that is NOT an actual carryon luggage should not be allowed in overhead. This includes jackets, purses, backpacks and other bags.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20618 posts
4345 upvotes
Toronto
I avoid having to check my luggage by carrying a backpack that fits within the dimensions of the carry-on size checker, which I stow under the seat. I don't use the overhead compartments at all.
May 24, 2008
20 posts
6 upvotes
The last flight I was on with Westject on Dec 20. YVR to YYC. The gate agent happily advertised gate checked bags are free and there were quite a few volunteers. Get to YYC and none of the checked bags show up lol
Jan 13, 2008
219 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: I avoid having to check my luggage by carrying a backpack that fits within the dimensions of the carry-on size checker, which I stow under the seat. I don't use the overhead compartments at all.
Some of the seats (the ones by the washroom) do not have a seat in front of them to put your belongings under. They just have the small pocket attached to the wall. You HAVE to store all belongings in the overhead, purse, jacket etc. They tell you that you have to wear the jacket or store it during take-off, you cannot have it on your lap.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2655 posts
2656 upvotes
Ottawa
We travel with 2 kids and 2 car seats.

Other than the car seats, we don't carry on anything that can't fit under the seats in front of us because we just don't have the arms to carry everything while herding two kids on-board.

Lately, we've been traveling with 3 small backpacks (mine with my work laptop, my son's toy bag, and a diaper bag) and my wife's purse, all of which easily fits under the seats.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1662 posts
437 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
speedyforme wrote: Carryons are the worst. They cause so much delay for people getting onto the flight. Not to mention ppl put their carryons in overheads that arent even above their seat.

Personally I think anything that is NOT an actual carryon luggage should not be allowed in overhead. This includes jackets, purses, backpacks and other bags.
We have Osprey 40 travel backpacks that fit the dimensions of most carry on requirements, and yes, we put them in the overhead bins.
Sep 1, 2015
277 posts
96 upvotes
knuks101 wrote: We have Osprey 40 travel backpacks that fit the dimensions of most carry on requirements, and yes, we put them in the overhead bins.
Same here. Never bothered with my Osprey carry on and have small personal item for under seat.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18939 posts
6121 upvotes
London
Last Sun morning ( 7AM Jan 15) YYC T1 was doing mandatory strict / enforced carry on size check at the end of the check-in aisle. I saw a few people get sent back to check-in for being oversized by a minor amount

I can't see them doing it on a weekday as they were pretty slow. There was a huge queue going from all the way through the check-in aisle to almost the terminal front doors
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23535 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
l69norm wrote: Last Sun morning ( 7AM Jan 15) YYC T1 was doing mandatory strict / enforced carry on size check at the end of the check-in aisle. I saw a few people get sent back to check-in for being oversized by a minor amount

I can't see them doing it on a weekday as they were pretty slow. There was a huge queue going from all the way through the check-in aisle to almost the terminal front doors
I got rerouted thru YYC at one point during the Christmas Holidays …
When everything everywhere was delayed or cancelled
And …
AC wheeled out their Does It Fit frame at the gate

So for sure it’s not just restricted to slow times at that airport

They were already calling for Carry On Gate Check Volunteers
As our flight was already pretty full
And there were at least 10 people standing around hoping to get on it as stand-bys
No doubt having been bumped off of other flights … or cuz of connections having been missed etc
So space was very much at a premium

I overheard a bit of the convo
If someone had not already volunteered (we had early on )
And their stuff was oversized … even by a smidge
There was no 2 ways about it …
Air Canada was making them Gate Check

I say good on them !!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7687 posts
6868 upvotes
kasios wrote: The last flight I was on with Westject on Dec 20. YVR to YYC. The gate agent happily advertised gate checked bags are free and there were quite a few volunteers. Get to YYC and none of the checked bags show up lol
how do you know they didn't show up? did you volunteer? they end up at baggage carousel if you gate check nowadays ...in past they used to bring them upto the jetway from what i remember.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)