How To Avoid Checking Your Carry-on At The Gate Before Flight

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2023 8:47 am
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
hierophant wrote: Disagree and I do blame the airlines b/c fares aren't cheaper and they're making money on every service that used to be included.

The prices for checked luggage is what's driving the abuse of carryon policy and the fact that airline don't do a good job of ensuring compliance with their own policy. This problem isn't going to go away until passengers think they're not paying more. For that reason, airlines need to go back to the old way of doing things and just bake the cost of checked luggage into ticket cost so people feel good about checking luggage...and obviously ensuring the luggage gets to the destination the same time as the passengers.

It's always interesting to me that some people blame customers for everything but don't hold businesses (whose only goal is to make money) not accountable for their actions or policies. In this case, I'm not saying passengers are blameless - it's ridiculous how some people bring everything but the kitchen sink during their travels...but WE (individuals, businesses, government) have created sense of self-entitlement that induces bratty behaviour and attitudes.
I believe the new pricing model came about with the growth of discount airlines who a la carte'd everything. The full service airlines had to follow suit because their prices included checked bags, seat fees etc and thus if a traveller wished to fly the pricing comparison wasn't fair.

I'm perfectly fine and happy with a la carte because I won't check a bag unless I absolutely have to. If you need the service you pay for it. That's fair and good

All we need is enforced compliance and there would be absolutely no problem. Discount airlines also charge for carry on bags BTW.

@mebiuspower
Re forced check of the carryon when you're late boarding, that wasn't right. The airline stewards could have easily opened up some of the overhead bins and likely found stuff up there that shouldn't be there and gotten them moved to make space. (I've personally done this once when I boarded late)
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)