Automotive

How bad of an idea is it to put my girlfriend name on the car?

[OP]
Newbie
Apr 1, 2017
87 posts
13 upvotes

How bad of an idea is it to put my girlfriend name on the car?

Hey,

So Mazda have 2 incentive: Recent Grad, and new owner. The dealership suggest me to put my girlfriend name on it (she fit both category) and get $1k rebate.
That sounds like an dangerous idea. Im financing the car and have enough to pay for the car, but what if we break up what would happen?? what kind of right does she have on the car?

Thanks!
42 replies
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
waterbottleemo wrote: Hey,

So Mazda have 2 incentive: Recent Grad, and new owner. The dealership suggest me to put my girlfriend name on it (she fit both category) and get $1k rebate.
That sounds like an dangerous idea. Im financing the car and have enough to pay for the car, but what if we break up what would happen?? what kind of right does she have on the car?

Thanks!
If you guys break up, half that car is her's, even if she never contributed a penny for it. Why did you even mentioned to them you had a GF?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38242 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
Small claims...
You can easily prove that she didn't make any payments.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4247 posts
3083 upvotes
Montreal
If it's in her name then it's essentially her car, isn't it? Dealer is only interested in closing the deal, any problem down the road isn't their concern.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32089 posts
19313 upvotes
Toronto
she can claim it's a gift from you. If you want it back, then lawyer up Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10426 posts
11110 upvotes
Toronto
Who would try and pilfer half a used Mazda 3?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4085 posts
3363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I thought you were talking about a vanity plate and thought that was a bad idea. Now this is worse.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9677 posts
9207 upvotes
Here what you do:

Do a $0 down loan, than mean you will be upside down for at least the 1st 3 years of ownership (car worth less than the amount owing). So when you have 0 equity, 1/2 of that is still 0.

If you do break up, she insist on half the car, walk away and she can have ALL the payments on a negative equity.

Cars are not asset people. Cars are liability.

Now, putting her name in the house title/mortgage on the other hand, don't do it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32089 posts
19313 upvotes
Toronto
^ better to have a 'drop dead' date for that negative equity in place on your calendar. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Member
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
387 upvotes
Montreal
I'd only do it if you guys have been dating long-term and are committed to one another. Also depends on the personality and if she's not suffering financially, that's a plus too. I did this to get 750$ new grad discount from Subaru with my then gf, now wife. She's a fair person, and not remotely the type to swindle someone. On top of that, she would not need the money/car anyhow.
Member
May 17, 2018
277 posts
125 upvotes
OP, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't do it. Also, consult her, not just RFD, if you are inclined to do it.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
28751 posts
9353 upvotes
Hamilton
$1,000 not $10,000
hated on but respected.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15506 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
canoek wrote: I thought you were talking about a vanity plate and thought that was a bad idea. Now this is worse.
lol, I was thinking the stickers just above the door handle.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
9342 posts
1902 upvotes
Ontario
If you add her name to the vehicle, her name will also be on the insurance policy as a named insured
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9677 posts
9207 upvotes
booblehead wrote: ^ better to have a 'drop dead' date for that negative equity in place on your calendar. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
$25K Mazda 3 has a 72 month finance payment of $344.

Depreciation is 20% 1st year and 35% after 3 years. So you won't really have positive equity on the car until around 2.5 years. :D
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 1, 2017
87 posts
13 upvotes
haha well she is pretty mature and fair. And I didn't talk to her yet, I want to make sure it is something I want before even talking to her.
COSMIC5 wrote: If you add her name to the vehicle, her name will also be on the insurance policy as a named insured
wait, really? even if we don't live under the same house?? if that's the case there is no point in adding her then
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 1, 2017
87 posts
13 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: $25K Mazda 3 has a 72 month finance payment of $344.

Depreciation is 20% 1st year and 35% after 3 years. So you won't really have positive equity on the car until around 2.5 years. :D
o thanks for the stats, I was actually looking for this information about the depreciation rate.
It's one main factor I'm considering before really buying this Mazda 3. Worries me some people say it doesn't have much resell value
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5175 posts
6964 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Make her sign a prenup over your new Mazda.
Member
Nov 26, 2014
295 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto, ON
waterbottleemo wrote: haha well she is pretty mature and fair. And I didn't talk to her yet, I want to make sure it is something I want before even talking to her.



wait, really? even if we don't live under the same house?? if that's the case there is no point in adding her then
Not exactly true. She only has to be on the Financial Papers. The ownership can solely by under your name, meaning the car is only licensed under your name.

Ex: I'm a co-signor on my In laws cars simply because I want the payments to come out of my account. The ownership is only on my in laws name, and they have their own insurance with their own broker. We do not live in the same household.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9677 posts
9207 upvotes
waterbottleemo wrote: o thanks for the stats, I was actually looking for this information about the depreciation rate.
It's one main factor I'm considering before really buying this Mazda 3. Worries me some people say it doesn't have much resell value
My residual numbers are just general. Local factor has not been included. I'm sure it'll be less if you are from Ontario or Quebec, especially for a Mazda as the body tends to not hold up to the salting of road every year.

For real numbers, just check autotrader in the area and get a feel what they are selling for. For AB, the 35% depreciation after 3 years for Mazda 3 is about right for private sale, you probably will loose another 10% on trade-in value.

If you want even less commitment, lease. So the car isn't yours until you decides to buy it out in 3 years. If you and your GF got some nasty breakup and neither doesn't care about a huge credit hit, just let the car be repo'd.

Lease = GF/BF
Finance = Engaged
Cash = Married

:D

Top