• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 11:36 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2011
36 posts
30 upvotes
TORONTO

How to best handle hit and run?

What a sad day for me. My new Palisade got hit and run in a Canadian Tire parking lot today. Luckily there was a witness and the employees of CT was helpful enough to offer surveillance footage if needed. Reported this to my insurance company and the collision center shortly after that. I guess now it's just a waiting game...

Will this impact my insurance? Would I need to pay out of my own pocket for repairs? Should I go to an autoshop suggested by my insurance company or should I go to the dealership to fix my car? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thx
9 replies
Aug 30, 2020
505 posts
760 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
It depends if you are able to find the other driver or not.

If you are able to find the other driver, it will fall under DCPD, which means no deductible and it won't increase your premium.

If you are unable to find the other driver, it will fall under collision coverage, you have to pay deductible, but your premium still won't go up because you're not at fault.

Depending how bad the hit and run is and your deductible, it might be worth it to pay out of pocket. (Ex, your deductible is $1000, repair only costs $500)

Go to dealership to fix car. OEM parts over some Carstar place. Family had trunk repaired at insurance recommended Carstar, leaked water during rain and snow. Not to mention paint overspray. Another rear end was repaired at the dealership recommended bodyshop with OEM parts, never had a problem.
Aug 30, 2020
505 posts
760 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
RubiconX wrote: I don't know if the rules have changed but a person who damaged your car was not forced to pay you and the police didn't do anything about it because it was "private property". If this so-called "no fault" insurance is the way I think it is, your insurance will fix your car but you might get an increase in your premiums. There is no sense in your insurance going after the other insurance because they themselves have to fix your car.
The rules never changed, it was always the same rules. "Private property" doesn't mean anything in terms of police conviction or insurance claims. Still need to yield right of way and obey signs, etc. Why a grandma was convicted of dangerous driving for reversing into a family at Costco. No fault insurance just means you deal with your own insurance company, it doesn't mean no one is found at fault. And those found "at fault" will still have their insurance premium raised.
Oct 21, 2006
562 posts
329 upvotes
op first of all sorry for your loss. Can you tell us how bad was the damage? What did the police report estimate the damage to be?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8513 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
I’d get that footage sooner then later from Canadian tire. Who knows what their archive policy is like. Pretty generous of them.

I had a hit and run once on a public street someone saw the car and left me a note. Called police said without description of driver wouldn’t do much. I found additional witness via poster and the police called the owner. Turns out it was his daughter and wanted to settle. Cop gave me his number we traded cash. Worked out well. Big thing is identifying the driver.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28000 posts
8433 upvotes
See if you can get the LP# from the camera footage (probably unlikely but worth a shot) or of course if the witness(es) have it. After that call your insurance up, get the car fixed, and move on with life. If they don't catch other party you will have to pay your deductible. If you can cover the repair on your own w/o involving insurance, then you may also choose to do that.

If you want your car repaired best, go to a trusted and reputable body shop. Most of these are already insurance recommended but the converse is not always true. Stealerships don't necessarily have good body shops either, so definitely don't go by that measure. If you're not aware of good body shops post your location/area here and people might give you some good recommendations. Otherwise you can also do a search here or just check reviews on google, yelp, etc. of local ones you find.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28000 posts
8433 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: The rules never changed, it was always the same rules. "Private property" doesn't mean anything in terms of police conviction or insurance claims. Still need to yield right of way and obey signs, etc. Why a grandma was convicted of dangerous driving for reversing into a family at Costco. No fault insurance just means you deal with your own insurance company, it doesn't mean no one is found at fault. And those found "at fault" will still have their insurance premium raised.
True but there's two different things at play here in your examples. Private property you probably can't get a [provincial] ticket from police for running a stop sign, etc. but if you hit someone else it will surely be determined that you didn't stop or yield, sure and then it'll be an at-fault on your insurance.

However the example of grandma getting convicted of Dangerous Driving is a different story. Dangerous is a criminal offence, not a regulatory/provincial one. Meaning it applies anywhere in the domain of Canada, regardless of whose property you are on.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3823 posts
2778 upvotes
GTA
That thing looks like a German tank, unless damage prevents you from driving it- move on. Combat scars are sexy Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1526 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Hit and run should be a no fault claim but you need to report it to police within 24 h and get a police report.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16621 posts
6882 upvotes
Some insurance companies waive the deductible when you report it to them / police in a "reasonable" period of time. For Meloche this is part of the Grand Touring package.

Otherwise for a hit and run you will typically end up paying your deductible however your rates will not increase.