Shopping Discussion

How best to use Costco online only discount?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2023 6:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3126 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto

How best to use Costco online only discount?

Recently joined Costco during a promotion where you get a $50 voucher off a $150 online spend.

Unfortunately everything online is more expensive than the warehouses.
What online items are priced the same as those in the retail stores? The only thing that I see are stuff like Apple Watches and high ticket items.
10 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 21, 2014
879 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
.97 items
Thanks for the upvote!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15167 posts
6731 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blindemboss wrote: Recently joined Costco during a promotion where you get a $50 voucher off a $150 online spend.

Unfortunately everything online is more expensive than the warehouses.
What online items are priced the same as those in the retail stores? The only thing that I see are stuff like Apple Watches and high ticket items.
There are sometimes online-only promotions that you won't find in-store. Recently they had the Airpod Pro 2nd gen for $269 for a day or so, which is lower than the $277 in-store pricing. Does the $50 voucher have an expiration date?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2572 posts
2369 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Groceries are almost always more on line at Costco. There are things not available in store, you could use it on these items. Otherwise, their 'hot buys' and 'last chance' are good deals, especially with the voucher, or I wait until there is the multi-buy for clothing.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7909 posts
3519 upvotes
I bought $258 of toiletries for $100 when they had a 30% off sale last year. The 30% off was on top of sale prices so it ended up being way cheaper than in store, even before the coupon.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21612 upvotes
Vancouver
Keep it until you find something that you actually want or need.
If you don't find anything you want or need before it expires, just toss it.
I know that hurts and feels like you are throwing $50 away, but just think about it this way: Would you rather have: a) nothing, or b) $100 less in your wallet and something you don't want or need just because it was $50 cheaper?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23567 posts
22526 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Macx2mommy wrote: Groceries are almost always more on line at Costco. There are things not available in store, you could use it on these items. Otherwise, their 'hot buys' and 'last chance' are good deals, especially with the voucher, or I wait until there is the multi-buy for clothing.
This

There is tons of stuff on Costco.ca that’s not sold in the warehouses

Stuff that’s sold BOTH places costs more online so as to cover shipping.

Some of the best deals online are their one day promotions (usually a Civic Holiday … like New Years Day) alongside the best deals in THIS WEEKS TREASURE HUNT - HOT BUYS - and LAST CHANCE

We browse thru the entire website at least once a month … when the NEW IN THE WAREHOUSE Sales get announced. In that way I can honestly say we’ve seen the majority of the bargains all in one go thru
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
17013 posts
12413 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote: Recently joined Costco during a promotion where you get a $50 voucher off a $150 online spend.

Unfortunately everything online is more expensive than the warehouses.
What online items are priced the same as those in the retail stores? The only thing that I see are stuff like Apple Watches and high ticket items.
Shipping is added to the price. Why would you expect the online price to be the same as in store?
Newbie
Feb 15, 2010
20 posts
68 upvotes
Worst case scenario, if you absolutely can not find anything you want and the voucher is about to expire, you can try to contact Costco after expiry and if you get a nice rep, he/she might offer to reissue you a new voucher of the same value. Sometimes, they do so for vouchers’ emails that were sent to wrong email or just lost in the network and to new members who did not realize that there was a voucher expiry date.
But from I understand, the voucher value offer must still be offered so that their system will still allow them to generate a new one. For example, if they no longer offer a $50 voucher when you call and promo changes to a $40 voucher, they can either only offer you a $40 voucher replacement or if rep is really nice, can generate a $40 voucher replacement + a $10 gift card or credit.

Hopefully, you will find something you will like before voucher expires though
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23567 posts
22526 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
SuperDishMan wrote: Worst case scenario, if you absolutely can not find anything you want and the voucher is about to expire, you can try to contact Costco after expiry and if you get a nice rep, he/she might offer to reissue you a new voucher of the same value. Sometimes, they do so for vouchers’ emails that were sent to wrong email or just lost in the network and to new members who did not realize that there was a voucher expiry date.
But from I understand, the voucher value offer must still be offered so that their system will still allow them to generate a new one. For example, if they no longer offer a $50 voucher when you call and promo changes to a $40 voucher, they can either only offer you a $40 voucher replacement or if rep is really nice, can generate a $40 voucher replacement + a $10 gift card or credit.

Hopefully, you will find something you will like before voucher expires though
RARE

Lots of stories on RFD of EXPIRED VOUCHERS

Either cuz folks forgot to use it
Never found what they wanted online

Or … just got to picky about using it

It’s a case of USE IT OR LOSE IT

It’s a time sensitive WELCOME BONUS … FOR MEMBERSHIP
Just the same as CCs often offer the same sort of time sensitive WELCOME BONUSES for their members

Top