How big of a generator should I get?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2018 8:22 am
Tags:
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes

How big of a generator should I get?

Yesterday in Nova Scotia we didn't have power for a good 8 hours and my house went down to 17c.. I'm sure it could of dropped a lot more if it was colder outside.

Saying that, I do have a generator panel with a 4 prong plug that is already wired outside.. Everything is ready for a generator!

The panel is 30A
It has the Oil Furnace 15A - Garage Septic 15A - Upstairs lights 15A - Water Pump 20A - Basement lights 15A

Saying that, I could care less about water, we always have an abundance of it here.
How big of a generator would you get? I can't seem to find many generators with the 4 prong plug..

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Make your own cord. As long as it's wired correctly and connected properly it's all good
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I don't get why everyone is talking about the hook up.

The OP has a hook up.

You're looking at a gen that can do 240V if you want to power up both branches.

What's your budget? Honda does make 240V inverter gens but they're damn expensive I think I saw $7K for a decent sized one.

You could always get the Lowes ~$200 5K KW Firman special that comes up every so often. You just need to bridge the 2 poles with a modified 4 prong cable so you won't be able to run a true 240V appliance.

Your panel is 30A so at 240V you're looking at a 7200W generator. Which gets pricy. Have you actually measured your draw? If you stage your start ups You might be able to get away with a 5K 240V capable genny.

You also need to look at which fuel you want to run.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cham ... p.html#srp

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
tebore wrote: I don't get why everyone is talking about the hook up.

The OP has a hook up.

You're looking at a gen that can do 240V if you want to power up both branches.

What's your budget? Honda does make 240V inverter gens but they're damn expensive I think I saw $7K for a decent sized one.

You could always get the Lowes ~$200 5K KW Firman special that comes up every so often. You just need to bridge the 2 poles with a modified 4 prong cable so you won't be able to run a true 240V appliance.

Your panel is 30A so at 240V you're looking at a 7200W generator. Which gets pricy. Have you actually measured your draw? If you stage your start ups You might be able to get away with a 5K 240V capable genny.

You also need to look at which fuel you want to run.

The link from Generlink has information to the size of generators.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I’d forgoe anything portable and get a permanent system like the Generac one we have at the cottage. Its a little 3 piston propane powered engine that flips on 45 or 60 seconds after an outage. Ours is 10kw and runs all but 2 plugs and will run the newly installed AC but not the stove at the same time (if im running AC, I can use the propane BBQ which is also piped into the big tank).

I think ours was $8k but the price of the generator itself is half what it was so more like $5k or so installed now I bet.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
tebore wrote: Your panel is 30A so at 240V you're looking at a 7200W generator. Which gets pricy. Have you actually measured your draw? If you stage your start ups You might be able to get away with a 5K 240V capable genny.
Costco normally has a 7200W (9000w peak) generator instore for about $800 (cheaper when it goes on sale). I have one to use if the power goes out for an extended period.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)