Automotive

How big of a subwoofer do you have in your car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2015 11:34 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
I recently rented a car that had a stock audio system. The one thing I missed the most (to my surprise) was not actually the bass (Okay, missed that too) but actually the clarity of MY system. The highs, the vocals. Everything in the rented car was flat.
The doors were boomy/had bass but it was really just masking the other issues.

I did subs first but actually the best upgrade was to my doors.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
just an FYI in this pen size measuring contest. You should be careful of what you put in your car these days as a subwoofer can trigger/cause a malfunction in the traction control in modern cars. aparantly the vibration can cause measurement errors in wheel speed or something
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: just an FYI in this pen size measuring contest. You should be careful of what you put in your car these days as a subwoofer can trigger/cause a malfunction in the traction control in modern cars. aparantly the vibration can cause measurement errors in wheel speed or something
You would need quite a system to start throwing up errors, I wouldn't worry about this. At least in my recommendations, I've been talking about adding a small upgrade to what comes stock to provide long-term enjoyment.
However, even when I had a 3500 watt system in my current vehicle (with traction control), I've never heard of such an issue (not spoken about in the Audio community I'm a part of).
So ... for most people in this group, I'd say that doesn't have to be a real concern.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
Wow, alot of people here with great ideas. Hopefully i can learn a thing or two here. My question is how can install a sub and an amp on a stock radio. It is for my dodge stealth 1995 with infinity system. The reason i want to keep the stock system is because it actually sounds very decent and I can easily hook up my aux to it. Plus the stock radio fits really wel with the interior. The car came with a stock amp which is underneath the passenger seat. I have a set of Kickers sub paired with a rockfordfosgate amp. I bought this brand new back in 2009 for my accord which was later written off but i kept the box and the set. Can someone guide me how can this be done? I have heard about splicing through stereo wires to make up an RCA adapter and then running the power to the front. Is that the way to do it? Please let me know. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
kay188 wrote: I believe you PM'ed me the same question before and yet you keep asking. The answer is always going to be the same.

A racecar.
Hey kay, are you the same guy who had posted that rear view dash cam video of those couple chasing you in the camry? If that was you, then that video was hilarious. You have a fan already!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
masarwar wrote: Hey kay, are you the same guy who had posted that rear view dash cam video of those couple chasing you in the camry? If that was you, then that video was hilarious. You have a fan already!
He has lots of fans around these parts.
When I use my horn, I always say to myself "Ha, I just Kay'd you" :D
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
kppanic wrote: The hate is strong in this one.
Can't beat Americans sports and muscle in terms of value. 500hp for 62k. I understand the Japanese can justify that I buy a sports and I expect to be reliable. German engineering is as unreliable as American, but more expensive initial cost.

What can you buy German for 62k that can smoke a C7. Not many if any.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
DaVibe wrote: I've never heard of such an issue (not spoken about in the Audio community I'm a part of).
I dont mean permenant errors, I mean the traction control will read the vibration from the sub as a difference in wheel speed and brake or apply more torque to selected wheel. During normal driving it wouldnt be an issue as all you'll see is the traction control light blink for a second or two. but during winter it may be hazardous.
I first became aware of this issue by reading thru the owners manual. :)

There is even a TSBs for it from ford , others might have it as well. (e,g Ford #TSB-08-14-2 NHTSA Reference #10026363 )
DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Are after market accessories installed?

a. Yes, repair sources of vibration (sub-woofer, modified center console). Proceed to Step 2.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I got a JL AUDIO 12W3V3-4 in a sealed box. Not a fan of ported as i like tight and clean bass. Might be getting a bit ten processor soon but not sure. I'm also powering it with a jlaudio jx500/1D, it's putting 300W to the speaker which is perfect for me

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)