Computers & Electronics

How to block YouTube in chrome

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11007 posts
5966 upvotes
Markham

How to block YouTube in chrome

How to block YouTube in Chrome browser in laptop?

First, I don't want to do it in router level
Second, seems a lot people recommend block site add on, but it's third party
Third, I don't want to create another user profile

So what's the easiest way to block YouTube in Chrome?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1027 posts
1708 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I believe you can navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Then edit the hosts file and add these two lines to the bottom of the file. Save and exit:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com
127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11007 posts
5966 upvotes
Markham
fordmaple wrote: I believe you can navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Then edit the hosts file and add these two lines to the bottom of the file. Save and exit:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com
127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com
Great. Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2010
2112 posts
1148 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: Great. Thanks
The poster above forgot to mention that when you edit the hosts file and add those lines in:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com
127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com

It won't block youtube just from Chrome, but from the entire computer from accessing Youtube, no matter what browser or software. Anything that tries to connect to youtube.com or access youtube.com will be denied because you have now blocked it at the hosts (Windows) level. So keep that in mind. Adding those lines blocks youtube access across the O/S.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2483 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
To the moon
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21724 posts
26253 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
If you've seen what YouTube pushes on kids in 2020, you might think twice.

This applies to most of the socials.
.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2372 posts
1372 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: Sorry for another question

How to use same method to block IGN

https://www.ign.com/ca

I tried ign.com and www.ign.com , it doesn't block it

Thanks
If that didn’t work you could try flushing your DNS cache.

Open a command prompt window and type

ipconfig /flushdns
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2009
590 posts
256 upvotes
West coast
There are beneficial things in yt as well but loss like you already made up your mind. Would these other people have mobile devices? Your efforts might be all for naught.

I've accepted that the way of the world is going digital.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11007 posts
5966 upvotes
Markham
doradxplorer wrote: There are beneficial things in yt as well but loss like you already made up your mind. Would these other people have mobile devices? Your efforts might be all for naught.

I've accepted that the way of the world is going digital.
Agree with you

But my 10 year old can't focus in online class if he can watch YouTube in his laptop. So I block some video sites in his study laptop

But he does have ipad and Switch

Just try to separate study from entertainment:)

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4863 posts
2986 upvotes
smartie wrote: Agree with you

But my 10 year old can't focus in online class if he can watch YouTube in his laptop. So I block some video sites in his study laptop

But he does have ipad and Switch

Just try to separate study from entertainment:)

Thanks
Connect computer to 85" TV, now you can see what they're doing at all times and you now have a sweet 85" TV.

But yes, online class is brutal and no different from video conference calls at work. Half the time I'm catching pokemon or on RFD. Work tries to keep things under 30 minutes and rapid fire, otherwise it becomes torture.

We're putting our kids through torture to prepare them for the real working world.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34382 posts
7923 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
This is a problem for lots of people. I suggest you install Pi-Hole or AdGuard on an old computer or Raspberry Pi

Then point your kid’s computer to the Pi-Hole for DNS. This is not at the router level. But it will accomplish what you want without affecting you.

Host file is great but very limited. It is not smart, it doesn’t know that YouTube.com and www.YouTube.com is the same thing. The Pi will give you better control and block ads as well. Make the investment, you won’t regret it.

I set mine up on a NUC and run both Pi-Hole and AdGuard as a secondary DNS

Kids will want to play games and there are a million sites, you can’t keep updating your host file every time he finds one.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4526 upvotes
Alberta
Redsanta wrote: I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
Just use a different web browser or the YouTube app, problem solved.
Member
Jun 9, 2012
468 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't see much point in attempting to block Youtube on chrome if OP doesn't want to go through more complex tasks. There are so many ways to circumvent blocks theses days if you are highly tech savvy.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Just use a different web browser or the YouTube app, problem solved.
Exactly, someone could just use the app or a proxy or perhaps they can just remove the settings you placed.

Unless OP overcomplicates it, there is no real point other than to annoy whoever wants to use Youtube immediately.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11007 posts
5966 upvotes
Markham
bhrm wrote: Connect computer to 85" TV, now you can see what they're doing at all times and you now have a sweet 85" TV.

But yes, online class is brutal and no different from video conference calls at work. Half the time I'm catching pokemon or on RFD. Work tries to keep things under 30 minutes and rapid fire, otherwise it becomes torture.

We're putting our kids through torture to prepare them for the real working world.
Your boss should disable RFD then lol
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4863 posts
2986 upvotes
smartie wrote: Your boss should disable RFD then lol
Secondary device and I'm sure they're here browsing too.
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2009
590 posts
256 upvotes
West coast
Op, I feel like your or boss trying to ensure everyone works but eventually we'll figure a way to circumvent your tactics. Haha.

I'm in a similar situation but I just made a deal with the kids. Show me good results in school and play watch as much as your want before bed but stl eating together at the table. My eldest received high praises from his teacher during in his final year of elementary. Good enough for me.
Member
Jul 16, 2008
366 posts
127 upvotes
ON
Anyone could help how to restrict youtube on chromebook during class time?
Member
Dec 24, 2004
209 posts
139 upvotes
Saint Hubert
smartie wrote: Agree with you

But my 10 year old can't focus in online class if he can watch YouTube in his laptop. So I block some video sites in his study laptop

But he does have ipad and Switch

Just try to separate study from entertainment:)

Thanks
Whichever method you choose, I would suggest you tell your son. Depending on how determined your son is, his attention may then become focused on getting it back working or using alternative sites / programs and your entire plan could become and even bigger waste of time. Of course telling him your intentions has it's own set of drawbacks.

Either way, good luck to you!

Top