• Oct 27th, 2020 7:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3960 upvotes
Markham

How to block YouTube in chrome

How to block YouTube in Chrome browser in laptop?

First, I don't want to do it in router level
Second, seems a lot people recommend block site add on, but it's third party
Third, I don't want to create another user profile

So what's the easiest way to block YouTube in Chrome?

Thanks
19 replies
Nov 6, 2014
678 posts
1012 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I believe you can navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Then edit the hosts file and add these two lines to the bottom of the file. Save and exit:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com
127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3960 upvotes
Markham
fordmaple wrote: I believe you can navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Then edit the hosts file and add these two lines to the bottom of the file. Save and exit:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com
Great. Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1934 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: Great. Thanks
The poster above forgot to mention that when you edit the hosts file and add those lines in:

127.0.0.1 youtube.com

It won't block youtube just from Chrome, but from the entire computer from accessing Youtube, no matter what browser or software. Anything that tries to connect to youtube.com or access youtube.com will be denied because you have now blocked it at the hosts (Windows) level. So keep that in mind. Adding those lines blocks youtube access across the O/S.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2118 posts
1583 upvotes
Canada
I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16163 posts
17657 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
If you've seen what YouTube pushes on kids in 2020, you might think twice.

This applies to most of the socials.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2084 posts
1161 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: Sorry for another question

How to use same method to block IGN

https://www.ign.com/ca

I tried ign.com and www.ign.com , it doesn't block it

Thanks
If that didn’t work you could try flushing your DNS cache.

Open a command prompt window and type

ipconfig /flushdns
Oct 1, 2009
486 posts
184 upvotes
West coast
There are beneficial things in yt as well but loss like you already made up your mind. Would these other people have mobile devices? Your efforts might be all for naught.

I've accepted that the way of the world is going digital.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3960 upvotes
Markham
doradxplorer wrote: There are beneficial things in yt as well but loss like you already made up your mind. Would these other people have mobile devices? Your efforts might be all for naught.

I've accepted that the way of the world is going digital.
Agree with you

But my 10 year old can't focus in online class if he can watch YouTube in his laptop. So I block some video sites in his study laptop

But he does have ipad and Switch

Just try to separate study from entertainment:)

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4425 posts
2513 upvotes
smartie wrote: Agree with you

But my 10 year old can't focus in online class if he can watch YouTube in his laptop. So I block some video sites in his study laptop

But he does have ipad and Switch

Just try to separate study from entertainment:)

Thanks
Connect computer to 85" TV, now you can see what they're doing at all times and you now have a sweet 85" TV.

But yes, online class is brutal and no different from video conference calls at work. Half the time I'm catching pokemon or on RFD. Work tries to keep things under 30 minutes and rapid fire, otherwise it becomes torture.

We're putting our kids through torture to prepare them for the real working world.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32923 posts
6521 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
This is a problem for lots of people. I suggest you install Pi-Hole or AdGuard on an old computer or Raspberry Pi

Then point your kid’s computer to the Pi-Hole for DNS. This is not at the router level. But it will accomplish what you want without affecting you.

Host file is great but very limited. It is not smart, it doesn’t know that YouTube.com and www.YouTube.com is the same thing. The Pi will give you better control and block ads as well. Make the investment, you won’t regret it.

I set mine up on a NUC and run both Pi-Hole and AdGuard as a secondary DNS

Kids will want to play games and there are a million sites, you can’t keep updating your host file every time he finds one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8095 posts
4480 upvotes
Alberta
Redsanta wrote: I wouldnt want to be ur kid lolz
Just use a different web browser or the YouTube app, problem solved.
Jun 9, 2012
455 posts
306 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't see much point in attempting to block Youtube on chrome if OP doesn't want to go through more complex tasks. There are so many ways to circumvent blocks theses days if you are highly tech savvy.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Just use a different web browser or the YouTube app, problem solved.
Exactly, someone could just use the app or a proxy or perhaps they can just remove the settings you placed.

Unless OP overcomplicates it, there is no real point other than to annoy whoever wants to use Youtube immediately.