Health & Wellness

How to boost your immune system for cold/flu -what to eat at first sign?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 12:06 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8106 posts
1167 upvotes
TO

How to boost your immune system for cold/flu -what to eat at first sign?

Hi all

Couldn't locate a thread if such existed here but wanted to know some good recommendations from our fellow rfd folks:

Apart from Cold Fx and the like OTC drugs, what have you tried that you know works?

I've read about echinacea and it's herbal effects and some say it's very minimal in clinical studies - I think the basics are chicken soup, lemon ginger tea and lots of water. I've seen Jamison has zinc and other herbal medicinal pills which say it may help...

Any other good home remedies anyone tried that always seems to ward off or shorten cold/flu ?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10572 posts
1765 upvotes
Instead of ColdFx, you better just get some American Ginseng, it may help but there is no convincing conclusion on that among many studies but most shows positive effects in various things including immune response, neurocognitive function. Generally, it is very safe to use so it doesn’t hurt to try. If you have diabetes, it may help lower your blood sugar level for better immune response.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136130/

Echinacea – I would say American Ginseng has better overall health benefits than Echinacea. No one will pay lots of money for scientific study for something that cannot be patented, but from the limited, small scale studies published, I haven’t see one that show it works against common cold.

Vitamin D 1000 IU is a good idea.

Vitamin C – easy to get from diet (orange, grapes, kiwi), so you don’t need supplement for that.

Flu shot is our best bet for flu, simple and it is paid by the government.

Rest more.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8106 posts
1167 upvotes
TO
CuriousJack wrote: 8-10 hours sleep at night Sleeping Symbol
82 wrote: Instead of ColdFx, you better just get some American Ginseng, it may help but there is no convincing conclusion on that among many studies but most shows positive effects in various things including immune response, neurocognitive function. Generally, it is very safe to use so it doesn’t hurt to try. If you have diabetes, it may help lower your blood sugar level for better immune response.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136130/

Echinacea – I would say American Ginseng has better overall health benefits than Echinacea. No one will pay lots of money for scientific study for something that cannot be patented, but from the limited, small scale studies published, I haven’t see one that show it works against common cold.

Vitamin D 1000 IU is a good idea.

Vitamin C – easy to get from diet (orange, grapes, kiwi), so you don’t need supplement for that.

Flu shot is our best bet for flu, simple and it is paid by the government.

Rest more.
Thanks @82 those are some great tips - I wasn't sleeping enough and was told by my doc that's one of the key elements. Thanks again.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9327 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
Elderberry syrup/sambucol.
Worked for me last year when I got the flu/cold.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1721 posts
927 upvotes
Durham
Oranges/Jug of OJ in the day. Symptoms of a cold gone by the next morning
Apr 13, 2016
158 posts
28 upvotes
I take vit D3 1000 2 times a day.
4 drops of oregano oil in an ounce of OJ in the morning.
I have type 1 diabetes, so a very low immune system.
That said, rarely get a cold!
Oh yeah, flu shot of course
Penalty Box
Dec 12, 2014
398 posts
317 upvotes
vancouver, bc
Lions Mane, Chaga, Reishi, etc mushrooms.
Exercise helps the most with sleep.
Dec 8, 2009
345 posts
59 upvotes
Eat a whole onion RAW. Sore throat gone right away
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1788 posts
1120 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
When any person in our house is starting to show symptoms or the early signs (I have 2 human Petri dishes aka kids), the WHOLE family starts the following regiment

- Vitamin C - 1000mg
- Oregano oil in the am and at night
- Cold fx
- Saline nasal flush in the evening
- Increased liquid in take - every gets and extra herbal tea after school/work and in the evening before bed this is in addition to the regular water intake
- Extra sleep - will sleep in and wake up naturally if possible (not always possible), I will sleep in and work later if I can

Unfortunately, I used to the get sick all the times (just being run down), now that I have started forcing us to do this when one is starting to get sick, it has been working well for the last year and half. I find one of us will get sick if we don't follow the above routine.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13576 posts
8538 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Olive Leaf & Zinc

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1381 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
My wife swears by elderberry. She gets a concentrated 5:1. It's proven to fight viruses.
gh05t wrote: Elderberry syrup/sambucol.
Worked for me last year when I got the flu/cold.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8106 posts
1167 upvotes
TO
crazdefool wrote: My wife swears by elderberry. She gets a concentrated 5:1. It's proven to fight viruses.
Where can I buy this? I've seen the newer meds but don't think I've seen the concentrated one.

Oct 18, 2001
663 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
I buy dry elderberries on Amazon, 1lb was about $33, easy to make a syrup.
TorontoEh wrote: Where can I buy this? I've seen the newer meds but don't think I've seen the concentrated one.