PC & Video Games

How to buy a Nintendo Switch from an offline retailer?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2020 12:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton

How to buy a Nintendo Switch from an offline retailer?

I bought the Animal Crossing: New Horizons from Best Buy but don't have the Nintendo Switch. I usually never play video games.

After missing 3 or 4 restocks on Best Buy and Amazon for 2 days, I managed to buy the newest neon variant from Best Buy Canada for parcel delivery this Thursday. Only problem is, I'm in Edmonton and it's shipping from Mississauga via Canada Post. Estimated delivery date is April 9th. I was hoping it would ship from BC, but guess not.

I was hoping I could buy one from an offline retailer like Best Buy, Walmart, or Costco so I can start playing the game before next Thursday. My 2 options are the following:
  1. Wait until next Thursday for the Switch delivery
  2. If I manage to find a physical store that has the Switch in stock before Thursday, buy it. Return the brand new unopened Switch back to Best Buy once the delivery comes.
The Costco $449.99 bundle seems like a good deal, but I called my two closest Costco stores and none of them had any in stock. Any ideas? Is it cheaper to just buy the microSD card and family membership separately?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
The Costco Nintendo Switch bundle is cheaper overall.

Usually when the Nintendo Switch is not on sale:
Nintendo Switch $399
Family Subscription (can register 8 different users to play online) $40
Micro SD card $20-40 separately depending on speed and capacity.

If you can find the Limited Edition Animal Crossing console, it is the same price as the regular console but looks nicer.
It has art etchings on the back of the system and unique artwork on the dock that are stylish.

Depending on where you are, it might not be possible to return or buy something at BestBuy now (I think all physical stores are closed),
unless you mean to ship it back and wait for them to receive it to get a refund.
tablo13 wrote: I bought the Animal Crossing: New Horizons from Best Buy but don't have the Nintendo Switch. I usually never play video games.

After missing 3 or 4 restocks on Best Buy and Amazon for 2 days, I managed to buy the newest neon variant from Best Buy Canada for parcel delivery this Thursday. Only problem is, I'm in Edmonton and it's shipping from Mississauga via Canada Post. Estimated delivery date is April 9th. I was hoping it would ship from BC, but guess not.

I was hoping I could buy one from an offline retailer like Best Buy, Walmart, or Costco so I can start playing the game before next Thursday. My 2 options are the following:
  1. Wait until next Thursday for the Switch delivery
  2. If I manage to find a physical store that has the Switch in stock before Thursday, buy it. Return the brand new unopened Switch back to Best Buy once the delivery comes.
The Costco $449.99 bundle seems like a good deal, but I called my two closest Costco stores and none of them had any in stock. Any ideas? Is it cheaper to just buy the microSD card and family membership separately?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
XFactor11 wrote: The Costco Nintendo Switch bundle is cheaper overall.

Usually when the Nintendo Switch is not on sale:
Nintendo Switch $399
Family Subscription (can register 8 different users to play online) $40
Micro SD card $20-40 separately depending on speed and capacity.

If you can find the Limited Edition Animal Crossing console, it is the same price as the regular console but looks nicer.
It has art etchings on the back of the system and unique artwork on the dock that are stylish.

Depending on where you are, it might not be possible to return or buy something at BestBuy now (I think all physical stores are closed),
unless you mean to ship it back and wait for them to receive it to get a refund.
I see, thank you! No, Best Buy still accepts return as long as the store is open for pickup. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... urns_offer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
ironmen77 wrote: It’ll be hard to find at this point. Resellers have bots running on most major sites with a few second checkout. You’re solid for having one already.
Actually, I walked into Costco for Pharmacy and other stuff. They didn't have the Switches in stock just yesterday, but today they had tons of exchange cards in stock. Must've lucked out. My original order from Best Buy is arriving tomorrow, earlier than the Thursday expectation. Probably gonna return it to Best Buy unopened, don't want to be a scalper lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4319 posts
1064 upvotes
Hamilton
Trouble if you buy from a different retailer and try to return the unopen switch as I think some stores log the serial number on the receipt of systems sold.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
sidshock wrote: Trouble if you buy from a different retailer and try to return the unopen switch as I think some stores log the serial number on the receipt of systems sold.
Yes I made sure to return the exact unit with the same serial number