How to buy a rolex from store?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2021 1:30 am
Nov 16, 2016
36 posts
28 upvotes

How to buy a rolex from store?

Hi,

I've been eyeing Rolex for some time now and wanted to buy a new model from a store. But it seems like every store I call in, they say they don't have stock or offer me women's or something too fancy for my taste.

Is it much better if I walk-in to the store instead of calling if they have stock?

Some watches that I was looking at were Rolex explorer and omega silver snoopy but no one has stock.
61 replies
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
On the same boat, you need to buy something else from them first like Tudor etc in order to get the Rolex you want. I’ve been waiting for a steel watch for a long time and still waiting …

Good luck
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
ghnboy wrote: On the same boat, you need to buy something else from them first like Tudor etc in order to get the Rolex you want. I’ve been waiting for a steel watch for a long time and still waiting …

Good luck
Are they not wanting your business or? Coz to me it seems that's bad? Wife and I walk into IWC first time and wife order the watch she wants on the spot. She knows what she wants and have been eying it. Didn't need them to explain the features or anything. It was out of stock so she had to wait a bit.
I get it if it is a limited edition or something rare but if it is a standard entry model not sure why they wouldn't sell it.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
sponge5307 wrote: Are they not wanting your business or? Coz to me it seems that's bad? Wife and I walk into IWC first time and wife order the watch she wants on the spot. She knows what she wants and have been eying it. Didn't need them to explain the features or anything. It was out of stock so she had to wait a bit.
I get it if it is a limited edition or something rare but if it is a standard entry model not sure why they wouldn't sell it.
I totally agree with you, apparently they dont' really want my business unless i purchase more Tudor or gold watches. We are in our 30s and not a fan of gold watch yet.
We owned Omega, IWC, Tudor and Rolex, the shopping experience with Rolex is probably the worst recently. They don't "have" ANY sport model or steel model at all. I knew the sales for 4-5 years now, bought Tudor, Rolex from her, she said her boss wouldn't put me on the list for men's watch was just because I haven't made any purchase recently.
I'm a little bit done with Rolex now. Omega and IWC seems a little better these days, at least I feel like "i'm the customer and i'm the one spending money"
Nov 16, 2016
36 posts
28 upvotes
for me tho, I don't want to force myself to spend 5k on a watch just to build up a relationship so i can buy rolex at retail price. I've called 4 stores and they all said they don't have any professional lines as well. sign

any rec for decent shop? i was thinking about going to raffi in yorkdale mall
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
sleek4011 wrote: for me tho, I don't want to force myself to spend 5k on a watch just to build up a relationship so i can buy rolex at retail price. I've called 4 stores and they all said they don't have any professional lines as well. sign

Where are you located? I wouldn't recommend to go to Yorkdale Raffi, I've been going to the one in Markham, or try the one on Bloor street.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
sleek4011 wrote: for me tho, I don't want to force myself to spend 5k on a watch just to build up a relationship so i can buy rolex at retail price. I've called 4 stores and they all said they don't have any professional lines as well. sign

Also, i agree with you, don't spend 5-6k just to build up a relationship, i can tell you that 5-6k isn't enough for them AT ALL. I was told that they can't put me on the list because I bought a Tudor black bay this year. I was there yesterday and they only offered me gold watches.

I'd rather spend 15k straight on a watch from grey market instead of spending 10k on something i don't need then another 10k on a watch i'd like to have.
Last edited by ghnboy on Sep 5th, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10121 posts
10230 upvotes
Yup, all the stores get their allotment and lock it up and only sell it to customer's who they've milked the most and gives them a loyalty favor of letting them buy a rolex
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Yup, all the stores get their allotment and lock it up and only sell it to customer's who they've milked the most and gives them a loyalty favor of letting them buy a rolex
Yep, I knew they definitely have stock in the drawer under the table :) if you tell them you want to buy 3 Tudors, they will more than happy to offer you a sport watch
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
That’s a real dumb way to piss off all new customers
Nov 16, 2016
36 posts
28 upvotes
I've looked into them before and I think they only have used watches. Some don't come with boxes or proof. They are also marked up from retail prices so it's not they are any better. And if you buy from them, you still don't establish "relationship" with the stores if you ever wanted to get a brand new watch.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
booblehead wrote: That’s a real dumb way to piss off all new customers
It's a non-uncommon strategy for keeping luxury goods exclusive to the classes that "deserve" them for themselves. Just any ordinary Joe with an ordinary job doesn't deserve to have a Rolex or Hermes Birkin leather bag just because he sold his ordinary Vancouver or Toronto home and now has a pile of money.

Speaking of the Birkin bag, Planet Money did a story about that a few years back. It's always "out of stock" for the average Joe who shows up at the store but is always available to a certain clientele who first spend a small fortune there over several visits and then ask "oh, by the way, any Birkin bags today?" It's an interesting 15-minute listen. https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015 ... g-a-birkin
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: It's a non-uncommon strategy for keeping luxury goods exclusive to the classes that "deserve" them for themselves. Just any ordinary Joe with an ordinary job doesn't deserve to have a Rolex or Hermes Birkin leather bag just because he sold his ordinary Vancouver or Toronto home and now has a pile of money.
Rolex makes estimated 800k-1 million watches a year, hardly considered limited. They've done a really good job of marketing their watches. At this price point, there are many other watches I'd rather own without having to play this stupid game and having something more unique.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Even if you built relationship, still have to wait. My order for meteorite Daytona is taking forever.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: Even if you built relationship, still have to wait. My order for meteorite Daytona is taking forever.
Yep, how many watched have you purchased from your SA? I can’t even dream about Daytona these days, I’m still waiting for my sub no date

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)