• May 24th, 2019 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes

HOW TO buy a vehicle on behalf of another person

I want to buy a car on behalf of a family member who is coming back to Canada next year. I plan to buy a particular vehicle in Montreal (Quebec)., and then transfer it over to her name in Ontario.

Thank you.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1375 posts
354 upvotes
GVRD
Not sure what the rules are in ON but if you were trying to do this in BC, you would need a valid Power of Attorney.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Cash or financing?
Apr 15, 2014
964 posts
823 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Getbread wrote: I want to buy a car on behalf of a family member who is coming back to Canada next year. I plan to buy a particular vehicle in Montreal (Quebec)., and then transfer it over to her name in Ontario.

Thank you.
Step 1: Buy car
Step 2: Transfer car ownership
Please respond
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes
That means I have to put insurance on it until he comes.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes
What if I just sign the ownership papers under his name , he's arranging insurance anyway
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
106 posts
7 upvotes
chenwaa123 wrote: Not sure what the rules are in ON but if you were trying to do this in BC, you would need a valid Power of Attorney.
This means I have to get a lawyer right?

What if I just get a signed letter stating that he wants me to buy the car in his name?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5040 posts
3571 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Getbread wrote: This means I have to get a lawyer right?

What if I just get a signed letter stating that he wants me to buy the car in his name?
You really think that would work? Literally anyone can just forge a letter. At least with a power of attorney, the law office is on the line for anything that happens.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11891 posts
8141 upvotes
Edmonton

You can do whatever you like. Whether you can do it legally is another question. There’s limits on what you can do under someone’s name.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1375 posts
354 upvotes
GVRD

I'm not a Lawyer, but I think a POA can be created by a Notary or Lawyer. However, your friend will need to do this and then name you as the person on the POA that can act on his/her behalf. Probably best to just wait until they are here in Canada with valid ID
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4501 posts
2128 upvotes
Toronto
Getbread wrote: I plan to buy a particular vehicle in Montreal (Quebec)., and then transfer it over to her name in Ontario.
Likely you will double the sales taxes that way. Pay once on purchase, pay again on transfer.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6119 posts
4729 upvotes
Getbread wrote: I want to buy a car on behalf of a family member who is coming back to Canada next year. I plan to buy a particular vehicle in Montreal (Quebec)., and then transfer it over to her name in Ontario.

Thank you.
What's the angle for doing this? Car is a depreciating asset, why buy it and not use it?

Or are you buying used and there's a good one on market right now?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
Thank you.
You would buy a car now, not doing anything with it for more than half a year, then give him/her the car?
Is this some kind of exotic, rare super car that he/she can't wait to get it himself/herself?