• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 8:20 am
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
793 posts
216 upvotes
Aurora

How to buy Windows 10 Pro

I'm still on Windows 7 and looking to upgrade to 10.
I see Costco has a digital download of Win 10 Pro for $249 https://www.costco.ca/microsoft-windows ... 89807.html

But on Facebook marketplace there are a number of digital keys for far far less https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... _type=post

How are these marketplace keys so cheap and are they legal?
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19061 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
Install Windows 10 and use your Win 7 key to activate.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14275 posts
3510 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
lehmanr wrote: How are these marketplace keys so cheap and are they legal?
The question to ask is: Are the licences tied to the cheap keys applicable to you? Almost certain to be "no".

I think you need Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate to upgrade free to Windows 10 Pro.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5324 posts
4019 upvotes
easy to do from windows 7. Piracy was rampant back then, and loads of people migrated to win 10 pro without cost.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
rabbit wrote: I think you need Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate to upgrade free to Windows 10 Pro.
I recently rebuilt an old i5 4xxx series PC for a friend. New install of Windows 10 from scratch with old Windows 7 key. Confirm that it'll match old edition. Ie Home to Home, so I assume it'll be Pro to Pro as well.

It runs surprisingly well with an ancient SATA 128GB SSD and the GTX 550 Ti, although support discontinued, is still pretty good compare to integrated graphic.
Last edited by Xtrema on Aug 25th, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
Yes and No.
For example, at the time of writing, Kinguin sells Windows 10 Home for $30, Amazon charges $130, and Newegg's pushing it for $109.99 or $130 for the Pro version for OEM. Even Walmart has it for $104.99, as well as a Pro OEM version. According to Wccftech, you can also buy Windows 10 from KeysOff, which is currently selling Windows 10 Home for $16.32 and Windows 10 Professional for $7.45, although we've never used the site so can't attest to its quality, customer service or reliability. Be sure to check their refund policy before buying.

Now, let's address the elephant in the room. While we can't vouch for all of them, websites selling lower-priced Windows keys are likely selling legitimate codes. One popular site, Kinguin, has 37 merchants worldwide selling Windows keys. Mark Jordan, Kinguin’s VP of communications, told Tom's Hardware in 2019 that Kinguin's merchants acquire the codes from wholesalers who have surplus copies of Windows they don't need.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge ... ,5717.html

So yeah, when you buy a cheap key, you really don't know the source. MS may do a round of crackdown, they may not. Very YMMV. Even more YMMV when you deal with people on Facebook Marketplace/Kijiji and the likes with 0 recourse.

Anyway, the cheap way is to use your old Win 7 key. That link from Tomshardware has all the info you need.

Win 10 ISO is free from MS:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
793 posts
216 upvotes
Aurora
audit13 wrote: Install Windows 10 and use your Win 7 key to activate.
rabbit wrote: The question to ask is: Are the licences tied to the cheap keys applicable to you? Almost certain to be "no".

I think you need Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate to upgrade free to Windows 10 Pro.
evilYoda wrote: easy to do from windows 7. Piracy was rampant back then, and loads of people migrated to win 10 pro without cost.
zerod wrote: You can try to see if the free upgrade still works for you:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Either way, you should still back up your computer and update BIOS, as recommended in the article.
Xtrema wrote: I recently rebuilt an old i5 4xxx series PC for a friend. New install of Windows 10 from scratch with old Windows 7 key. Confirm that it'll match old edition. Ie Home to Home, so I assume it'll be Pro to Pro as well.

It runs surprisingly well with an ancient SATA 128GB SSD and the GTX 550 Ti, although support discontinued, is still pretty good compare to integrated graphic.
Xtrema wrote: Yes and No.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge ... ,5717.html

So yeah, when you buy a cheap key, you really don't know the source. MS may do a round of crackdown, they may not. Very YMMV. Even more YMMV when you deal with people on Facebook Marketplace/Kijiji and the likes with 0 recourse.

Anyway, the cheap way is to use your old Win 7 key. That link from Tomshardware has all the info you need.

Win 10 ISO is free from MS:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
Sorry I should have stated that I dont want to actually upgrade my existing hard drive from windows 7 to windows 10. Im pretty sure my windows 7 is a pirated version (it came with a computer I bought on kijiji years ago)
I want to leave my windows 7 hard drive as is and put it in a portable hard drive enclose to access the data when needed. I want to put Windows 10 on a brand new ssd I plan to purchase at canada computer. Its a really good price for a 1TB ssd
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=114570
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
lehmanr wrote: Sorry I should have stated that I dont want to actually upgrade my existing hard drive from windows 7 to windows 10. Im pretty sure my windows 7 is a pirated version (it came with a computer I bought on kijiji years ago)
I want to leave my windows 7 hard drive as is and put it in a portable hard drive enclose to access the data when needed. I want to put Windows 10 on a brand new ssd I plan to purchase at canada computer. Its a really good price for a 1TB ssd
If your PC doesn't have official MS sticker with key on the side, you are looking at a new install with new key.

Read that link again. MS ISO is free from MS. If you don't activate they only disable some options:
Desktop watermark; Personalization options restricted; Can't use Microsoft support

If you can't deal with restriction, then it's up you to figure out if you want to spend $250 for an official copy or $30-$50 for a key on the high sea.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
793 posts
216 upvotes
Aurora
Xtrema wrote: If your PC doesn't have official MS sticker with key on the side, you are looking at a new install with new key.

Read that link again. MS ISO is free from MS. If you don't activate they only disable some options:

If you can't deal with restriction, then it's up you to figure out if you want to spend $250 for an official copy or $30-$50 for a key on the high sea.
Thats whats so confusing. The costco link is for a digital download as well and not a physical copy and $249
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9983 posts
4267 upvotes
Vaughan
lehmanr wrote: Thats whats so confusing. The costco link is for a digital download as well and not a physical copy and $249
Yeah, but you will have the key (only you). The ones on FB Market place, don’t know how many users have that. Cheap for a reason. Risk or safe.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about FB marketplace but ebay would have a more consumer-friendly dispute resolution, if the key doesn't work or stops working.
The sellers there probably have some guarantee and will just give you a new one if it stops working a few months later.

You could also consider buying/building a new desktop if you go the legit path, since you'd be spending close to $400 anyways. You can probably get a decent budget desktop for $600 or so.

I think you can also buy OEM version of Windows 10 if you buy a piece of hardware. OEM is meant for PC builders.
A common loophole in the past was buying a USB drive or SD card.
Stores aren't allowed to sell it by itself, so they'd suggest this as an alternative to buying a whole PC build.
Windows 10 Pro OEM $189.99 https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58356
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6953 posts
4685 upvotes
SW ON
lehmanr wrote: Sorry I should have stated that I dont want to actually upgrade my existing hard drive from windows 7 to windows 10. Im pretty sure my windows 7 is a pirated version (it came with a computer I bought on kijiji years ago)
That's OK if you leave your Win 7 hard drive as is. It doesn't matter. Does your PC have a sticker with a Win 7 key or not? Even if it doesn't you can recover the Windows key with this program: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html Unless it was a volume license.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14275 posts
3510 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Either buy an applicable licence from the regular places you shop at or visit My Digital Life forums.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36195 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@lehmanr

Buy your SSD from Canada Computers, install Windows 10 without a key

You can run Windows 10 without a key, you just can’t customize it

If you want a legitimate key, I have a few from several OEM 3 packs for system builders

If you don’t want to pay for a key, you can use an activator
Mar 19, 2019
170 posts
124 upvotes
Quebec
I have done this at least 700 times, although I should state this only have been tested with Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro,

It works reimaging AND change of Hard Drive.

Download genuine Windows ISO from Microsoft. Install from USB from scratch on Windows 7 device on new SSD or not. Leave it be, even if it's states not activated. Will activate on is own. No intervention needed. Can take up to 2 days.

Like I said, I have done this at least 700 times, I even automated the process through MDT. Worked 100% of the time.
Fido 30$ 15GB Unlimited / FIdo 35$ 9GB Unlimited
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5324 posts
4019 upvotes
Was windows 7 activated and genuine when this was done?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14593 upvotes
It's piracy but with extra steps. The keys are from illegitimate MSDN subs acquired through various means.
They "work" (sometimes) but they're by no means legitimate.

The Costco link you posted is the legitimate price for Windows 10 Pro.

No matter what the story that someone spins, no one is selling a legitimate key for $15. It's not spare, it's not OEM, it's not an old license they don't need, their grandma isn't dying, etc. They're solely making money off suckers.

If you're going to pirate Windows (that's what you're doing buying these keys) I'd rather invest into a RasPi and run an activation server. There's other methods as well.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6953 posts
4685 upvotes
SW ON
YannF39839 wrote: I have done this at least 700 times, although I should state this only have been tested with Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro,

It works reimaging AND change of Hard Drive.

Download genuine Windows ISO from Microsoft. Install from USB from scratch on Windows 7 device on new SSD or not. Leave it be, even if it's states not activated. Will activate on is own. No intervention needed. Can take up to 2 days.

Like I said, I have done this at least 700 times, I even automated the process through MDT. Worked 100% of the time.
Of course it works as long as your Windows 7 was genuine and activated. Microsoft gave everyone a free upgrade to Win 10. That's what you were doing.
Mar 19, 2019
170 posts
124 upvotes
Quebec
alpovs wrote: Of course it works as long as your Windows 7 was genuine and activated. Microsoft gave everyone a free upgrade to Win 10. That's what you were doing.
Yeah, forgot the part that it needs to be a genuine Windows 7 key.
Fido 30$ 15GB Unlimited / FIdo 35$ 9GB Unlimited