Home & Garden

How can I calculate the cost of additional building inspector visits?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 8:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1216 posts
89 upvotes
East York, ON

How can I calculate the cost of additional building inspector visits?

I am reading this

https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/im/492 ... er+Box.jpg

and here are the fees

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... rmit-fees/

I can't make sense of this ...the required inspections are paid via the initial permit.
Now let's assume that my contractor does something wrong and he has to fix it and the inspector must come by again.
How do I know how much I will have to pay and who pays for that, the contractor or myself?
81 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5435 posts
5504 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 10:50 pm
I am reading this

https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/im/492 ... er+Box.jpg
Trying to read between the lines, nothing..
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1975 posts
962 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If the contractor is doing the work, why should you have to pay for extra visits becuase of his mistakes. The contractor should be covering that. Have the contractor include the permit costs in his bid package.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
You only pay extra ($100 in Ottawa) if you call in an inspection before you’re ready for it.

Failing and re-inspecting happens all the time. Oftentimes they’ll give you a fail and tell you they’ll just re-inspect that particular problem/fix to pass at the next scheduled inspection.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1216 posts
89 upvotes
East York, ON
Cas77 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 12:04 am
You only pay extra ($100 in Ottawa) if you call in an inspection before you’re ready for it.

Failing and re-inspecting happens all the time. Oftentimes they’ll give you a fail and tell you they’ll just re-inspect that particular problem/fix to pass at the next scheduled inspection.
What if the next stage requires you to close the previous one and the inspector can't see if you fixed the problem
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1402 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of times they will just ask you to email pics or ask for an engineering report which you give them the next time.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2235 posts
503 upvotes
CuriousC wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:29 am
What if the next stage requires you to close the previous one and the inspector can't see if you fixed the problem
If it hasn't been signed off on, then it shouldn't be closed up. you may be asked to open up that area if it's covering up what needs to be inspected.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
CuriousC wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:29 am
Common sense is used. I was just pointing out what they do sometimes for re-inspections.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7081 posts
3259 upvotes
Paris
schade wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 11:23 pm
If the contractor is doing the work, why should you have to pay for extra visits becuase of his mistakes. The contractor should be covering that. Have the contractor include the permit costs in his bid package.
There is no contractor here.... reference below

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/enclosi ... t-2180080/

OP is now assuming that he will fail many inspection points.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1216 posts
89 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:07 pm

@jrees and @Jerico sorry guys if that thread left you with a frustration but I am not paying you per hour more than I can make.
It does not make sense financially speaking, sorry for that

As mentioned in that thread you can be helpful and show your potential clients your good nature by answering questions around here
or
you can continue to stalk me around here and derail my threads and ruin your chances to ever get work via this forum.

your call
Last edited by CuriousC on Apr 16th, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1975 posts
962 upvotes
Alliston, ON
CuriousC wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 7:56 am
@jrees and @Jerico sorry guys if that thread left you with a frustration but I am not paying you per hour more than I cam make.
It does not make sense financially speaking, sorry for that

As mentioned in that thread you can be helpful and show your potential clients your good nature by answering questions around here
or
you can continue to stalk me around here and derail my threads and ruin your chances to ever get work via this forum.

your call
Contractors charge what they do because of the overhead they carry. They have insurance, WSIB, employee wages, tools, trucks, gas, shop and some profit. I hope whatever line of work you're in you charge your end client the exact wage you make.... See how long it would be before your company shut down if that were the case.

People might be more willing to help and answer your questions if you are honest upfront. Instead of you challenging everything in every one of your threads.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1216 posts
89 upvotes
East York, ON
schade wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 8:42 am
Contractors charge what they do because of the overhead they carry. They have insurance, WSIB, employee wages, tools, trucks, gas, shop and some profit. I hope whatever line of work you're in you charge your end client the exact wage you make.... See how long it would be before your company shut down if that were the case.

People might be more willing to help and answer your questions if you are honest upfront. Instead of you challenging everything in every one of your threads.
I already explained you (and others) why I challenge your opinions. I am trying to use my head and to understand how things work. Don't take it personal.

In regards to their fees: I work as contractor too, in a different domain and my job involves higher risks than that of a contractor
There is a solution for this, aggregate, get group insurance etc. And don't tell me about the other things you mentioned because I don't buy that. I know the cost of tools required to do a job like the one linked by Jerico and I don't think someone needs a shop for that and other "employees" for that (they pay cash to their helpers most of the time, I started like that in Canada years ago...my pockets were empty and I had to accept that so I know pretty well how it works)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1216 posts
89 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 2:07 pm

You mentioned three or four inspection points
Assuming I am going to fail ALL of them then I will be paying $400 more for the inspector to come again
That will be far less than paying a contractor 15-20K to do the work :-))
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
CuriousC wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 5:09 pm
You mentioned three or four inspection points
Assuming I am going to fail ALL of them then I will be paying $400 more for the inspector to come again
That will be far less than paying a contractor 15-20K to do the work :-))
You assume here you'll fail each inspection once. I've seen people fail 7 or 8 inspections. After 3 the inspector gets so pissed off at the time he's wasted that he'll inspect piece by piece and come back at the 48hr mark after ordering a re-inspection only to point out the next issue and so on to waste your time. Some inspectors know some contractors do half ass work and will inspect every little minute detail to send out a report with many pages of deficiencies referencing every line to the prescriptive method in OBC ($$$) when performance requirements can be met other ways (MUCH LESS $$$). I've seen inspectors not even get out of their car, ask me if my usual contractor did the plumbing and email me the pass ticket from his phone in front of me.

The construction industry is a very small world with very dirty rules few people know about. It doesn't take too kindly to anyone trying to go against the grain.
- Mark Twain