Home & Garden

How can I calculate the cost of additional building inspector visits?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 8:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8291 posts
4113 upvotes
Paris
CuriousC wrote: In regards to their fees: I work as contractor too, in a different domain and my job involves higher risks than that of a contractor
There is a solution for this, aggregate, get group insurance etc. And don't tell me about the other things you mentioned because I don't buy that. I know the cost of tools required to do a job like the one linked by Jerico and I don't think someone needs a shop for that and other "employees" for that (they pay cash to their helpers most of the time, I started like that in Canada years ago...my pockets were empty and I had to accept that so I know pretty well how it works)
Group insurance is government mandated and called WSIB and for a job like that it’s 10% straight off the labour portion which includes fun things like gas, insurance on your vehicles depreciation etc.

When was the last time someone in your industry was seriously injured? It happens daily in construction and there is a serious issue like death about every 3 weeks.

One of the tools to do that job requires delivery to the job site. How much is a cube van? Commercial insurance? Gas? Etc etc etc. I think you are underestimating the tool portion even for someone like yourself.

Once you get neckdeep in this and it’s been 120 days you might form a different opinion of the skills, tools and experience it takes a contract to do this stuff in 1-3 days.

I’ll be sure to say hi to the other contractors I know next time we have our Lamborghini meet up since everyone is a millionaire on your eyes.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8291 posts
4113 upvotes
Paris
Cas77 wrote: You assume here you'll fail each inspection once. I've seen people fail 7 or 8 inspections.

The construction industry is a very small world with very dirty rules few people know about. It doesn't take too kindly to anyone trying to go against the grain.
Ive never seen an inspector go easy on a homeowner/DIYer. Not once.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Jerico wrote: I’ll be sure to say hi to the other contractors I know next time we have our Lamborghini meet up since everyone is a millionaire on your eyes.
My new Lambo arrives this week, meet up is every second Tuesday of the month right?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
Cas77 wrote: You assume here you'll fail each inspection once. I've seen people fail 7 or 8 inspections. After 3 the inspector gets so pissed off at the time he's wasted that he'll inspect piece by piece and come back at the 48hr mark after ordering a re-inspection only to point out the next issue and so on to waste your time. Some inspectors know some contractors do half ass work and will inspect every little minute detail to send out a report with many pages of deficiencies referencing every line to the prescriptive method in OBC ($$$) when performance requirements can be met other ways (MUCH LESS $$$). I've seen inspectors not even get out of their car, ask me if my usual contractor did the plumbing and email me the pass ticket from his phone in front of me.

The construction industry is a very small world with very dirty rules few people know about. It doesn't take too kindly to anyone trying to go against the grain.
That is Ottawa man
Here in Toronto they don't even come to your house.....:-))
[external link removed, do not repost]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote: Ive never seen an inspector go easy on a homeowner/DIYer. Not once.
Yeah ..the sky is falling.,
And the roof....slow business with this weather?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote: Group insurance is government mandated and called WSIB and for a job like that it’s 10% straight off the labour portion which includes fun things like gas, insurance on your vehicles depreciation etc.

When was the last time someone in your industry was seriously injured? It happens daily in construction and there is a serious issue like death about every 3 weeks.

One of the tools to do that job requires delivery to the job site. How much is a cube van? Commercial insurance? Gas? Etc etc etc. I think you are underestimating the tool portion even for someone like yourself.

Once you get neckdeep in this and it’s been 120 days you might form a different opinion of the skills, tools and experience it takes a contract to do this stuff in 1-3 days.

I’ll be sure to say hi to the other contractors I know next time we have our Lamborghini meet up since everyone is a millionaire on your eyes.
Are we talking here about building pyramids or what?
Do I need to stop the traffic on my street while I am building that? It could be dangerous for people who drive by
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
BuildingHomes wrote: My new Lambo arrives this week, meet up is every second Tuesday of the month right?
The above is as true as this "Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do" in your signature :-))
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8291 posts
4113 upvotes
Paris
CuriousC wrote: Are we talking here about building pyramids or what?
Do I need to stop the traffic on my street while I am building that? It could be dangerous for people who drive by
If it’s so easy, why are you

1) worried about failed inspections
2) not done yet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote: If it’s so easy, why are you

1) worried about failed inspections
2) not done yet
1) not worried...that is a calculated loss :-))
2) this is a long shot...I have other projects on the pipe....I am just considering this since I am working on something connected with this
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
CuriousC wrote: The above is as true as this "Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do" in your signature :-))
Thanks? But your statement doesn't make any sense.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1076 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote: I am reading this

https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/im/492 ... er+Box.jpg

and here are the fees

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... rmit-fees/

I can't make sense of this ...the required inspections are paid via the initial permit.
Now let's assume that my contractor does something wrong and he has to fix it and the inspector must come by again.
How do I know how much I will have to pay and who pays for that, the contractor or myself?
Jumping in on this thread. Firstly, are you adding a planter box? To make sense of everything, your initial permit covers all inspector costs. There are required stages an inspector must come in to inspect. If you require further directions from an error made by the contractor, the inspector will notify them. Depending on the inspector and the size of error, they would want to come back to ensure it was done properly at no cost. Other times the inspector would ask for an engineers sign off, if it's structural . Most of the time, they will ask for pictures emailed to them so construction is not disrupted.

In conclusion, the few hundred to a few thousand dollars you have paid for your building permit covers inspection visits. Make your contractor pay for errors, their fault.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Jul 31, 2017
197 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote: You mentioned three or four inspection points
Assuming I am going to fail ALL of them then I will be paying $400 more for the inspector to come again
That will be far less than paying a contractor 15-20K to do the work :-))
There really seems to be a fundamental disconnect here about the whole building process. You aren't building a lego house here in a playroom. You shouldn't be planning to mess up 7 or 8 times before you get it right, this is the front of your house. You also seem to be rather naive about the costs involved in screwing it up. Forget any extra charges the city may levy against you for multiple visits and think about the actual cost to replace/redo previous work. This could be ripping out EVERYTHING you did to start again. How many times do you want to excavate because you screwed up the footings. How many times do you need to reframe because you didn't do it right...... At some point half assing it yourself gives you a crappy product at a higher price than a decent contractor would have charged. I am the first to DIY what I can, but i'm also smart enough to know that sometimes spending money saves you money.

But honestly, I can't see your house from mine, so build whatever you want and have fun in it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
BoatyMcBoatface wrote: There really seems to be a fundamental disconnect here about the whole building process. You aren't building a lego house here in a playroom. You shouldn't be planning to mess up 7 or 8 times before you get it right, this is the front of your house. You also seem to be rather naive about the costs involved in screwing it up. Forget any extra charges the city may levy against you for multiple visits and think about the actual cost to replace/redo previous work. This could be ripping out EVERYTHING you did to start again. How many times do you want to excavate because you screwed up the footings. How many times do you need to reframe because you didn't do it right...... At some point half assing it yourself gives you a crappy product at a higher price than a decent contractor would have charged. I am the first to DIY what I can, but i'm also smart enough to know that sometimes spending money saves you money.

But honestly, I can't see your house from mine, so build whatever you want and have fun in it.
Fair point
Ask for estimates -with a break down for each inspection point milestone
Contract what I can't do and undo easily (ex footings) and then DIY for things like framing and others
If decent contractor is one that has a Lamborghini at home (read above) and charges me 15K-20K to do that work I say "get lost" ...

In this particular case the only costly operation will be the footings and I do not expect that to cost an arm and a leg.
The rest can be done by the code by a DIYer.
And no I don't give a shift if this is the entrance of my house and it will be messy for a couple of weeks. I don't have that sort of ego problems
I don't see framing as a major issue...do I need to go to UofT to learn to do it properly?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1460 posts
186 upvotes
East York, ON
Faemow wrote: Jumping in on this thread. Firstly, are you adding a planter box? To make sense of everything, your initial permit covers all inspector costs. There are required stages an inspector must come in to inspect. If you require further directions from an error made by the contractor, the inspector will notify them. Depending on the inspector and the size of error, they would want to come back to ensure it was done properly at no cost. Other times the inspector would ask for an engineers sign off, if it's structural . Most of the time, they will ask for pictures emailed to them so construction is not disrupted.

In conclusion, the few hundred to a few thousand dollars you have paid for your building permit covers inspection visits. Make your contractor pay for errors, their fault.
that part with pictures emailed to them is interesting
I thought I read something like that in the previous posts
I am particularly good with Photoshop so I see no problems here :-)