Real Estate

How can I find information to fees and taxes related to living in a city?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 11:22 am
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes

How can I find information to fees and taxes related to living in a city?

Hello

I'm young and looking at buying a property either a condo or a house but I'm kind of a perfectionist and I really want to know what's everything I would need to pay.

The thing I am not sure of it taxes and whatnot associated with it. Is there a calculator somewhere that I can use? All I can really find are mortgages calculator but I'm sure there is more to that right.

There would be also, electricity, heating, and internet right?
6 replies
Nov 23, 2008
370 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Your monthly upkeep costs and realty transaction fees will vary depending on your own personal habits and where you choose to buy.

What city are you looking to buy in?

Given the lack of information, I'd advise to just go to a bank to first see what you can get pre-approved for first. They should be able to at least give you some heads up on the rest of your missing info.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3464 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
Guy2016 wrote: Hello

I'm young and looking at buying a property either a condo or a house but I'm kind of a perfectionist and I really want to know what's everything I would need to pay.

The thing I am not sure of it taxes and whatnot associated with it. Is there a calculator somewhere that I can use? All I can really find are mortgages calculator but I'm sure there is more to that right.

There would be also, electricity, heating, and internet right?
I could think of these:

One time payment: Down payment, closing costs (lawyer, land transfer tax etc), and registering/transferring utilities in your name.
Recurring: Mortgage, property tax, electricity, water,gas, and maintenance in case of condo.
Optional: Internet, cable, telephone, home monitoring, landscaping etc etc.
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes
Zewo wrote: What city are you looking to buy in?
Ottawa or Gatineau
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Many cities have tax information available on-line. So you can dig that up yourself. Things like utilities are dependent on location and personal usage. So that can be difficult to get a handle on.

And don't forget home insurance and maintenance...

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7751 posts
5240 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Guy2016 wrote: Ottawa or Gatineau
Ottawa property taxes are pretty high (about 1% of the home's value per year seems to be roughly the amount). Most property listings here tell you what the property taxes are.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5310 posts
5427 upvotes
Ottawa
The city of Ottawa has a property tax calculator here http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/tax/tax.pl?lang=en. It usually works out to 1.2% of your assessed value.

Most properties have common types of costs, it is just that the amounts can vary depending on property type and your preferences. Common utilities are gas, hydro, water, hot water tank rental, cable, internet, and phone. Home insurance is a must. Maintenance can vary from simply changing a light bulb to replacing a furnace or roof or paying someone to mow your grass and clear your snow in winter.

A condo will always have monthly condo fees which will vary from complex to complex. These vary from the type of amenities provided, age of the building and how well the corporation is managed. The range can be hundreds of dollars a month between different buildings.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)